Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

15th year BG plant homecoming reunion Sept 26 - 28 2018

I am new to the Forum, just purchased my XLR in June this year, please count me in to attend the 15th reunion at Bowling Green. :thumbsup
It will just be my Blue Baby and I... hopefully "weather permitting" running with he top down. ;)
Thanks,
Dave

I put you on the roster list in the other thread.

For everybody!!! I've lately have been trying to get the group rates for our stay at the Courtyard Marriott Bowling Green on Wilkinson Trace. Across the street from the Sloan convention Ctr., I'm sure many of you know where's the hotel is at, we've stayed in that area before. More to come later as I get some prices.

Chad

reunion guests

I know a couple Corvettes that would love to join us XLRs at the reunion. Are they welcome? (even though they are only Corvettes) :lol:

Bowling Green

I can't see a problem with your friends attending. I often refer to my car as an " old man's Corvette ". I have heard that Corvette owners don't particularly like the XLR. I also own a Chevy SSR with a Corvette engine and Vette owners give me the wave when then drive by me. I am very surprised a rally involving these three vehicles has never been put together . When you think about it these are three very unique vehicles being built by one manufacturer.
John F.

I know a couple Corvettes that would love to join us XLRs at the reunion. Are they welcome? (even though they are only Corvettes) :lol:

I can't see a problem with your friends attending. I often refer to my car as an " old man's Corvette ". I have heard that Corvette owners don't particularly like the XLR. I also own a Chevy SSR with a Corvette engine and Vette owners give me the wave when then drive by me. I am very surprised a rally involving these three vehicles has never been put together . When you think about it these are three very unique vehicles being built by one manufacturer.
John F.

I have definitely run across some Corvette owners who act towards XLR owners like the snobs you would think Cadillac owners are “supposed” to be (mainly at car shows). Not sure why that is, though I’ve also heard owners of different generations of Corvettes don’t even get along with each other. :dunno: That said, I’m assuming if your friends want to join they would play nice!

Perhaps there's a bit of envy ...the XLR is aesthetically far more attractive and pleasing to look at than most contemporary sports cars; and, owing to its limited production numbers and rarity, it receives so much more "p;ublic" attention from total strangers than most cars. When I was driving an Allante 20 years ago, I received a similar reaction from strangers..."It's so beautiful," and sometimes, " I didn't know Cadillac made a two seater roadster." I don't think it has much to do with the brand or who's driving the car... it's simply a standout , rare, and a gorgeous automobile. Happy day, James

Corvettes welcome?

My initial reaction is No. There are lots of Corvette-only shows where XLRs are not welcome (I know, I've asked), and I can see Corvettes by the bushel at any car show. While I won't make an issue of it one way or the other, I say let's have something just for us.

My initial reaction is No. There are lots of Corvette-only shows where XLRs are not welcome (I know, I've asked), and I can see Corvettes by the bushel at any car show. While I won't make an issue of it one way or the other, I say let's have something just for us.
Doug, I didn't realize that XLR's have been denied participation in Corvette events so I agree with you. I originally thought it was ok but Turn about is fair play.
John F.

Corvette shows

Doug, I didn't realize that XLR's have been denied participation in Corvette events so I agree with you. I originally thought it was ok but Turn about is fair play.
John F.

I know the big yearly Corvette Homecoming in BG has room for XLRs, and I can't answer for all Corvette shows. I just know the ones I've asked about, I've been told NO.

One of the driving forces behind this great forum was Cadillac Tech. He was involved with the XLR before it was ever on the showroom floor. He and Photo Girl are both Corvette owners and have been involved in most all of the various XLR get togethers. While I have also heard of Corvette Shows denying XLR’s to participate, I think we are above that. This get together is about celebrating the XLR. Our XLR’s have been extended an open invitation to the annual Corvette Homecoming. I think a few cousins amongst the family is just fine with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

let them come and enjoy....

I know I am very new here but…. I have to concur with nerkpowers. I think the Corvette owners that want to attend would have no ill feelings toward an XLR. I think in actuality these two vehicles are like siblings, the XLR just dresses a whole lot better. LoL :lol:

For those Corvette owners that snub the XLRs, so what, it is their loss. Let’s just all have fun and enjoy some comradeship with all those that want to attend.

I like Corvettes, I just like the XLR better, that doesn’t mean I would snub Corvette owners at a car show, XLRs are more refined to act like that. ;)

The Corvette is a unique car but the XLR is not just unique they are more, they one of kind. Let’s not forget they don’t build XLRs anymore but they still build Corvettes, so many that they are almost like a dime a dozen. I see Corvettes all the time at car shows, etc. I very rarely see an XLR.

I think a few Corvettes hanging out with us will just show the world how much more unique we are, I am sure the public will spend more time looking at our XLRs than any Corvette… I see them every day on the road. I am surprised with joy when I see an XLR.

Oh well that is my 2 cents, I just hope everyone can be friendly (be it XLR or Corvette) and enjoy this trip/homecoming/reunion.
We are all family; we all walk upright and have the same chassis… wink ;) wink ;)

Dave :thumbsup
:blinzel:

One of the driving forces behind this great forum was Cadillac Tech. He was involved with the XLR before it was ever on the showroom floor. He and Photo Girl are both Corvette owners and have been involved in most all of the various XLR get togethers. While I have also heard of Corvette Shows denying XLR’s to participate, I think we are above that. This get together is about celebrating the XLR. Our XLR’s have been extended an open invitation to the annual Corvette Homecoming. I think a few cousins amongst the family is just fine with me.

I have to agree. I've owned a 1990 ZR-1 Corvette since 1994. I don't own an XLR, yet I own and operate this site because I love XLRs and hope to own one someday.

I don't see a problem with inviting some Corvette owners who appreciate and respect the XLR. I just wouldn't want to see the event hosting more Corvettes than XLRs.

Just my two cents...

Cadillac Tech (Bruce) and Photo Girl (Kathy) are some of the best folks at our gatherings. Bruce drives a Corvette and they are an integral part of this group. Not only were they at Bowling Green last time, but I believe Kathy's mom brought her Corvette as well. And I seem to recall that another XLR owner had their son or daughter come in their Corvette as well!

I welcome our car-cousins in their Corvettes!!!

We are a friendly, inclusive and welcoming group!

Anybody that was at the 2013 Homecoming knows that the evening of XLR drive to dinner was about a 50 car parade and if I remember correctly it was about 20 Corvettes that had join in, plus the lead car was Police Corvette! Also the show on Saturday is actually a Corvette Car Show at the Corvette Plant parking lot, allowing us to have our own XLR division in the show. After all we will be in Bowling Green Ky. the home of Corvettes and there will already be plenty in the area! So we are ok with it too.

Sent from Grand Daddy iPhone using Tapatalk

Spread a little love!

I would love to see Corvette owners join us in Bowling Green. First of all, I personally know some AMAZING Corvette owners and have always been treated well by Corvette people. My favorite car enthusiast friends are Corvette owners.
Second of all - there has been so much "division" in the world lately - why can't we all just get along with one another. We do not need to be such an "excluding" group - we are all above that, I think. It doesn't matter how many Corvettes or XLR's we have - just getting together and hanging out will be a wonderful time - it always has been for me and my family. :blinzel:

Bowling Green Reunion

Seems the newer members want to dictate who can come to the reunion. I know of several past owners, we have built relationships with due to the car, that have planned on attending--without an XLR. I myself may not have my V by the time next September rolls around. I see a new C7 in my future, so Supa & I will be going to Bowling Green for Dave Chrisley's BGAP Corvette charity car show and to see old friends. I'll bring all my XLR spare parts and sell them in the parking lot to 'new' XLR owners. :laugh::laugh:

John F.

Yes I’ve tried my hardest the times that a corvette show has been at the world golf village area. I’ve emailed and begged. But they keep responding back saying corvette only. They even said that yes several cars were produced at the bowling green area plant but this is strictly a vette only show. So I just go over anyway and look at all those cars. I know several people that own a vette and the one person in my car club says the corvette people are not nice.

Absolutely! Corvettes are the faster cheaper cousins to XLR's.... :lol: Without the Corvette, the XLR's would not exist. They just keep building the Vettes better and better: I sure wish they would build a newer version of the XLR too. We have welcomed the Corvettes that want to join us in the past. Unfortunately, we XLR's are not always welcome at the Corvette shows: but if we continue to welcome them, eventually they will come around. (one hopes)

Elvis? My wife will go nuts! : )

I'm game for any date. I think my mom said she would go too and then combine the BG trip with Graceland. She is a big Elvis fan and then after the meeting/show we could head down and tour Graceland.

Tell your Mom she is great! I am reviewing these plans with the boss right. She and I are discussing it right now. Me to her; do you want to go? Her answer? YES. Sign us up. So as I read this thread I'm trying to figure our where we say, "Yes, we are in!" ;) --- The Elvis/Graceland suggestion clinched it for my wife. She is an Elvis Fan Nut Case! :thumbsup

I will hit Chad up on the sign up posting to for him to ad us to the list. I'm trying to convince the boss to let T.J. (Tigger) come too. She says she doesn't want him in her lap the whole trip slobbering on her with his tongue hanging out with his head out the window with the 'stuff' flying back onto her. --- Hmmm? How unreasonable. :rolleyes: I told her to keep paper toweling handy, and that he is so darn cute in his Doggles and baseball cap he'd ad additional excitement to the trip. --- This discussion will be on-going for awhile I think. I'll probably lose this one.

Anyhow, Graceland? YES GREAT GREAT IDEA!

We Are In! : )

OK..... I've been asked about dates, costs, etc and etc. here's what I got so far.

Tuesday Sept 25, 2018.

Drive in that day/ night. I think we'll have a dinner at Montana Grill. It's close, behind the hotel (haven't set anything up yet), can walk there.

Wednesday Sept 26

This day we'll go to Mammouth cave. About 20-30 miles east on I-65. I think I posted the website for this park earlier in this thread. When Rogene and I were there, it was $28 for our tour, but we got it for $14 (1/2 price) because of our US Parks pass (you did get the Park pass before the price went up as I've said earlier in this thread didn't you?). I know that there is different tours for people with different needs, the website should have them listed. Some tours are a lot of walking and with stairs. The tour Rogene and I took while there was the history tour, 2 hours, 2 miles. One area on our tour is called (not p/c correct but the right name) Fat Man's Misery. It was as it sounds! Narrow and low! I had to turn sideways and bent over to get thru!. But is was COOL!! The ranger said that we can get tour reservations at Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov ahead of time. I haven't looked at the website yet. And one other thing, wear shoes, not sandals! And might bring a jacket, it cool down there, (OK two things).

Thursday Sept 27

The day we'll drive to Makers Mark. Remember it's 400 miles, 4 hours round trip. $24 for both of us to get in for the tour (and we got samples at the end). With a group this big, I'll try and call them to set up our own tour groups. They have a small sandwich cafe there we could have a lunch there.

Friday Sept 28

The NCM tour that they have. I' posted earlier in the thread about this. I think it's $29 a head (but that includes ice cream!).

Saturday 29

The BG plant club car show. I have to get with Dave C. about entry forms. I think we'll have enough cars that we'll have our own class. I think it was about $20 to enter(?).

Sunday 30
We can all go home!

If anyone what's track time at the NCM track. I thought those that want to do that can come a day earlier and do that on Tuesday. The costs and web site is posted earlier in this thread. But..... We're going to have to get that in early!!! They are booking 2018 already.

This is a work in progress so give me some slack. We can add or change things as we go or as needed.

Hi Chad,

We are in. Charles & Shirley. --- The suggestion by Hawkeye's Mom, of doing Graceland made my wife crazy with excitement. The part about "Fat Man's Misery" worry's me a bit as I 'resemble that remark'. Yet I have lost 20lbs. so far on The Atkins Diet. Just another 25lbs more to go though. Ugh.
:(

We don't descriminate here against lowly Chevrolets : )

Corvette's in Bowling Green? Makes sense to me.
;) Instead of The XLR, I may drive the Eldorado as then there would be room for T.J (Tigger) so maybe the boss would then consent to his coming along?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom