Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Cadillac's XLR a good buy or not?

Rob

Seasoned Member
Staff member
Site Administrator
My XLR/V(s)
Not yet!
Thanks Rob good article. I agree with the writer the XLR is a good value and a unique buy. I am sorry to see they won't make this baby anymore. :ugh:

No Comparison!!

Cadillac has essentially gotten rid of the finest luxury roadster on the planet. Granted the sticker price can send many into shock, but dollar for dollar, with all the standard amenities the XLR has compared to the competition it wins hands down in my opinion.

I don't know how they can compare the CTS-V and CTS Coupe and name them replacements for the XLR/XLR-V. Hopefully they will take some of the luxury and incorporate into the Corvette; although that is also a fine automobile in its own right.

With the demise of the XLR, when I tire of my V (pretty doubtful) I am sure to go to the Corvette if my wife doesn't beat me there!!

In my opinion the XLR is the best deal on the planet. I had $25000 cash to spend. Try getting a c6 vette convertible for that. Yet you can get an 04 Xlr for it. And in my opinion it is a much better car. Identical to an 09, all options, comfortable and quiet. why would you ever buy a vette?

Requiem For The XLR

With the passage of the XLR into automotive history, those of us lucky enough to drive one are in good company indeed. Now, more than ever, forums like this will become indespensible as the primary repositories of accumulated XLR knowledge.

It was a great run, and I've enjoyed witnessing this car go from a far-out concept to a showroom reality car over the past decade. Even more gratifying was waiting four years to finally own one. The XLR went out on top, and that ain't bad.

The CTS-V is indeed Cadillac's new "halo" car, though its days in its present incarnation are most likely numbered too. Cadillac removed every shortcoming the Gen 1 CTS-V had and built a car that spanks its European rivals with a firm hand for the first time. Ever-tightening CAFE requirements will make the small block V-8 go the way of the dodo in favor of turbo-charged V-6's, (Check out Ford's Ecotech engine) hybrids and eventually, electric vehicles. The GM Perfomance Division has been disbanded for now, and with the loss of Pontiac and bankrupty for Chrysler, the US auto industry hasn't seen darker times for more than 60 years. It may well be said in the not-too-distant future that the first decade of the new millenium was the pinnacle of performance for the internal combustion engine. And if so, we are among the drivers of the four-wheeled expression of what can only be called modern automotive nirvana. I can't think of a better time to burn fossil fuel!

The XLR will figure greatly in any Cadillac historical narrative. It is one of (if not THE) most technologically advanced vehicles ever built. With two communication buses and 23 different processors, my car is smarter than your honor student. A lot of the technology packed in this car six years ago is only now entering GM's manufacturing mainstream; more will follow but none can boast, "The first car to have: . . . . . " The XLR has quite a list of firsts.

My garage awaits!

CC :wave:

Monepit is originally the name of my boat but trixie is taking it from her. My lovely wife tried but she cant hold a candle to either.

I'll never forget the 1st time I'd laid eyes on an xlr. We took our Escalade to the shop and while killing time, I went into the showroom and there sat my dream on wheels. Never had I seen anything like it. Then I saw the sticker and my heart sunk.... oh well, just one more thing I'll never own.

Times change and that car now sits in my garage. Granted, somebody else had it for 3 yrs but that's OK, the sticker went from 70 to 30 and the diff of 40, they got the pleasure of eating.

There aren't many cars that people just stop and stare at. This is one of them. The performance is fantastic and it will adjust everything but the weather. It is tough to see it go but mine is going nowhere but home.

I'll never forget the 1st time I'd laid eyes on an xlr. We took our Escalade to the shop and while killing time, I went into the showroom and there sat my dream on wheels. Never had I seen anything like it. Then I saw the sticker and my heart sunk.... oh well, just one more thing I'll never own.

Times change and that car now sits in my garage. Granted, somebody else had it for 3 yrs but that's OK, the sticker went from 70 to 30 and the diff of 40, they got the pleasure of eating.

There aren't many cars that people just stop and stare at. This is one of them. The performance is fantastic and it will adjust everything but the weather. It is tough to see it go but mine is going nowhere but home.

INCREDIBLY well stated!!! I couldn't agree more! :patriot:

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who will stop and stare and wait for me to get to my car to get a closer look. It is definitely a head turner. I was out this weekend at my golf club having dinner and several members and thiers wives; whom I've known for years were surrounding my V gawking!!! I'll be keeping mine for a long time!!!

Cubby,
I had finger prints all over the glass yesterday on both sides while getting a haircut. I'm gonna put a sign on the windshield "Gawk but don't touch, if your a hot chick, I'll be right back".
My barber has a 09 poster on the mirror and wants one so bad. Poor guy doesn't make that kind of money.
I told him to sell his wife, and two vehicles in the garage and Vrooom Vrooom Vrooom:laugh::laugh::laugh:
It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who will stop and stare and wait for me to get to my car to get a closer look. It is definitely a head turner. I was out this weekend at my golf club having dinner and several members and thiers wives; whom I've known for years were surrounding my V gawking!!! I'll be keeping mine for a long time!!!

I had never had a glimpse of one before I came across the one on EBAY that I now own. I feel very fortunate in having been blessed into the job I have... otherwise, I would never have be able to afford this beauty of mine. Even without any warranty, I (and Cindy) are VERY pleased with the car. Although, with the prices of late, I could maybe be able to afford a V?? Well, maybe after this one - or our house - is paid off, which will be about the same time. Maybe a celebration gift???

Mt ..... Cindy has her own FOB??? :rocker: (Cubby .... this could be important ... :chuckle)

Ruthie!

Don't put words in the man's mouth--it's very unsanitary, especially with the flu goin' around. . .

Floyd (BB)

Mt ..... Cindy has her own FOB??? :rocker: (Cubby .... this could be important ... :chuckle)

Why, yes she does... although she does ask me when she wants to take it on her own (which, by the way, she absolutely HATES to do - she has no idea how to answer ALL the questions:chuckle:chuckle, besides being afraid of coming back home with a new scratch on her... no, not on Cindy, on the X:naughty::naughty::chuckle:chuckle)

She has to ASK??? :rocket: :rolleyes: :willy_nilly: :lol: :reddevil

That would be the day .... :D :silly:

I don't want any of you guys talking to Ray. :chuckle :chuckle

She has to ASK??? :rocket: :rolleyes: :willy_nilly: :lol: :reddevil

That would be the day .... :D :silly:

I don't want any of you guys talking to Ray. :chuckle :chuckle

No, she doesn't HAVE to ask... she just usually does. Wait a minute... let me rephrase that, she usually says, "I'm going to take the car for a drive??" (notice the question mark) And I reply, "Which car?" And she says, "Oh, you know which one." Then I say, "That's fine... have FUN..."

My daughter has carte blanc to take it anytime without asking and she says, "Remember the last time I used your car and took the mirror off at a gas station on those damn four foot high poles? and you just got it fixed and never said a word to me? Well, that's what stops me from taking out." Soooooooo, take it! It's just a car that can be fixed.
I taught her to drive and she is hot behind the wheel.
No, she doesn't HAVE to ask... she just usually does. Wait a minute... let me rephrase that, she usually says, "I'm going to take the car for a drive??" (notice the question mark) And I reply, "Which car?" And she says, "Oh, you know which one." Then I say, "That's fine... have FUN..."

My daughter has carte blanc to take it anytime without asking and she says, "Remember the last time I used your car and took the mirror off at a gas station on those damn four foot high poles? and you just got it fixed and never said a word to me? Well, that's what stops me from taking out." Soooooooo, take it! It's just a car that can be fixed.
I taught her to drive and she is hot behind the wheel.
So does Cindy... maybe she just doesn't realize it??? She should know by now that what's mine is hers and what's hers is hers... :chuckle:chuckle

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom