Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

3rd Brake Lights

cubby558

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
'16 Z06, "06 XLR-V Infra Red-Sold, RII, RIII & RIV survivor, Mdwst Maurader
Per the attached photo, it appears Cadillac has problems with the third brake lights even in the newer models. :laugh::laugh:

IMG_1693 (002).JPG

I bought one of the Chinese "new" third tail lights, thinking mine had some burned out LEDS, ends up it was just the window I used as a mirror. LOL.
Been thinking of adding some strengthening glue to the mounting brackets on the cheap new one and using it for a few years, keeping the original one for the future.
Now if they would just make some chinese Tail Lights and Headlights.

BTW, I sent an E-mail to a company selling Corvette C6 headlights about making XLR ones, they forwarded the suggestion to the manufacturer once I told them used busted ones were going for $3k each on Ebay. They sell 2 corvette lights for $1500.

I bought one of the Chinese "new" third tail lights, thinking mine had some burned out LEDS, ends up it was just the window I used as a mirror. LOL.
Been thinking of adding some strengthening glue to the mounting brackets on the cheap new one and using it for a few years, keeping the original one for the future.
Now if they would just make some chinese Tail Lights and Headlights.

BTW, I sent an E-mail to a company selling Corvette C6 headlights about making XLR ones, they forwarded the suggestion to the manufacturer once I told them used busted ones were going for $3k each on Ebay. They sell 2 corvette lights for $1500.
Don't get too excited waiting. There is only 2 companies making all the corvette lens no matter who sells them .They are In china and we have contacted them before. Just have to make too many to make it work. like 500 of each side at 10,000 basic set up and then 500 -750 per unit with 500 minimum and that still does not fix the problem of attaching them to the reinforcement. That price is about 1/2 of the best I have found in the us so far. keep watching ebay prices are coming down and down .

Unless we show some amount of want they definitely won't make any regardless of the economies of it. Who makes them for morimoto?

Don't get too excited waiting. There is only 2 companies making all the corvette lens no matter who sells them .They are In china and we have contacted them before. Just have to make too many to make it work. like 500 of each side at 10,000 basic set up and then 500 -750 per unit with 500 minimum and that still does not fix the problem of attaching them to the reinforcement. That price is about 1/2 of the best I have found in the us so far. keep watching ebay prices are coming down and down .

Mickey, have you talked to a company that actually makes headlights through Chinese manufacturers regularly? Companies that do regular business with Chinese manufacturers don't pay the same prices for tooling someone doing one off business with them do generally from what I understand.

I dont think they make headlight housings just the insides

Yes, I have actual direct contact with 2 companies that make them for many different sellers. They are the ones that actually make them. The problem is , the lens taper around the sides in thickness. They also have a couple of made in diverters on the lens themselves. If not for those two major issues a company could make a mold and vacuum them for about half that price. I looked at adding the little diverters after but not working so far. I certainly don't want others to not keep searching for someone to make them. Who knows I am sure there is a shop out there for smaller custom runs.

I read this thread the other day and it made me look at every Cadillac's third brake light when I was driving around. I did not see one that had an issue. I was at a stoplight behind a 1998 STS and its LED third brakelight was still fully working.

How are all these companies making custom lights that don't follow the original design? Why would you need to make a copy of the existing one instead of a custom one? Did any of them make other Cadillac headlights? I'm not sure why they can make after market headlights of every other Cadillac in this year group, and not the XLR.

Yes, some people wouldn't want a different design, but in the end people will buy new headlights regardless of the design to "save" theirs from being totaled.

Thanks for your info.

Yes, I have actual direct contact with 2 companies that make them for many different sellers. They are the ones that actually make them. The problem is , the lens taper around the sides in thickness. They also have a couple of made in diverters on the lens themselves. If not for those two major issues a company could make a mold and vacuum them for about half that price. I looked at adding the little diverters after but not working so far. I certainly don't want others to not keep searching for someone to make them. Who knows I am sure there is a shop out there for smaller custom runs.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom