Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

American City Nickmanes

Madmac

Seasoned Member
The nickmanes given to American cities have always intrigued me. How did they originate? Is Chicago really that windy. The Big Apple? Bean town? What others are there and how did they come about. And Sconnies ( excuse the spelling) ? I suspect it is a regional thing are there others?

The nickmanes given to American cities have always intrigued me. How did they originate? Is Chicago really that windy. The Big Apple? Bean town? What others are there and how did they come about. And Sconnies ( excuse the spelling) ? I suspect it is a regional thing are there others?

Yes, Chicago really is that windy, I went to school in Chicago and when the wind comes blowing between the buildings you feel like you are in a wind tunnel. That is why most women wear slacks.:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

Phoenix is 'The Valley of the Sun' and lives up to it just as Chicago lives up to the Wndy City

It's pretty well accepted that the nickname of "Windy City" for Chicago came from a political rivalry with Chicago rather than the weather. "Windy City" was a detrimental reference to the amount of bluster that came from Chicago politicians.

Charleston SC is often referred to as "The Holy City" due to the number of Churches there.

From what I have heard - the "Windy City" for Chicago was not really from the breezes blowing through the buildings ... it was related more to the Political aspects of the city. Yes, it does get pretty windy downtown, on occasion, but I'm sure most big cities get that way, when the wind goes through the large skyscrapers... (Boston actually has a higher average wind speed than Chicago). I have heard that the WINDY CITY was used to describe the Chicago politicians spreading propaganda on the Worlds Fair hosting and the Cincinnati rivalry back in the 1800's. Chicago politics is definitely "full of hot air" most of the time. :chuckle

Madison, WIsconnie

Over the years, Madison has acquired a number of nicknames and slogans, including:

• Mad City
  • Madtown
  • 78 square miles surrounded by reality
  • The People's Republic of Madison
  • The Berkeley of the Midwest
  • The Athens of the Midwest
  • Four Lakes City
  • Lake City

politics aside - a beautiful place with the city on an isthmus between the lakes

Cary NC, just outside of Raleigh is known as Containment Area for Relocated Yankees! ;)

St Louis is called "the Gateway to the West", "the Lou", and The heart of the "Show Me" state. Best known for the Gateway Arch, truckers call the city simply Gateway or Gateway City. Lately, the hip hop community spurred on by local rapper, Nelly, have adopted the nickname "The Lou" for the city while locals know the nickname originated for the area of St Louis called "The Loop" - a restaurant, shopping, arts and entertainment district northwest of Forest Park which was named for an old streetcar turnaround. The Loop was recently designated "One of the 10 Great Streets in America" by the American Planning Association.

Space City Houston

Our police cars say it best for San Diego ..... "America's Finest City" - I have to agree. :rocker:

Pittsburgh, Pa Steel City
Johnstown, Pa Friendly City
Philadelphia, Pa City Brotherly Love

Reno Biggest Little City in World

Do a search and you will find them there.

I believe Kansas has the most wind.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back