Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Battery dead and useless after 19 months

EJW 71

A few weeks ago I couldn't enter my 2004. I used key in rear bumper slot. Got deck lid raised. Pulled cable and door opened.
Opened the hood. Ran slow charger on battery for several hours. Charger had turned itself off. Put a different charge on battery. Also a no go. a third charger was connected, same result. Called Cadillac. A work order showed I had purchased a new battery 19 months ago. Yep, a 18 month warranty. I had paid $280 For them to install a Delco battery. Never questioned warranty period as always had five year batteries. Could something in car's electrical system have caused the battery to fail? No, I won't be giving them another $280. Thanks, Ed

Last edited:
Ed you just apparently just got a bad battery.... I've personally never heard of 18 month warranty..... maybe a WalMart Battery! My last battery went bad at shopping center... lucky where we was dead ..... there was a Sears so I went a head and had a DieHard Battery installed best they had that fit and XLR... I think it was 179.00 install it has a 3 warranty on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 XLR with dead battery

O5 Grand Daddy. Thanks for the info. I corrected my post. I had paid Cadillac $280.
I was under the view that if I changed the battery I would lose the codes. I now realize that belief is incorrect. If it was correct no firm could supply XRLs with a battery. Also believed Cadillac mechanics would be more knowledgeable. Which is true, buy all of us can properly install a battery. I have another issue. Water collects in trunk right side storage box. Also at least a gallon of water collects in passenger door and runs out bottom of door when door is opened. Thanks again for the help. Ed, ejw71

Last edited:
Oops just reread you said storage box but this ones really important too. Hey Ed if you look under the car at little black box that hangs down underneath on drivers side it's box where your pump is placed in.... there should be a little black rubber tube hanging down with a slit on the end (see pictures) and apparently that is full of debris and dirt and won't drain when the get wet that's why you water is staying in that trunk pump box.....as for the door I'm not sure there's probably a clog somewhere with the debris in drain tubes in the door rubber from the roof down somewhere too that's not letting the water drain down the way it was design too, out to road.
8381a003210cc885c235e474b5d909d3.png
7546e3d2053aac823e1ded2eb7d6c7d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If the duckbill end of the drainage tube looks like that, lop it off, or remove the tube altogether; the goal is to be able to see light through the drain hole when viewed from above. The small ends easily get covered with road grime and plug up, leading to very expensive repairs if water seeps into the compartment via the rear deck lid drainage system.

Later models of XLR didn't use a drainage tube, (just a hole at the bottom of the compartment) for that very reason.

CC :wave:

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry