Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Battery keeps running down

ALBERTAN

:dunno::dunno:I have a 2006 XLR-V which is giving me a fit.When not run for 2 or 3 days the battery goes flat.I ve taken it back to the Cadillac dealer twice and they CAN'TFIND THE PROBLEM.The battery is brand new test 100 % there is nothing obviously on in the car yet something is draining the battery has any body else experienced same problem and if so what was the solution as my dealer has not been able to fix the problem.

Moving out of the site help and feedback forum and into the XLR-V forum...

XLR's are well known for their battery drain problems. Most, if not ALL, of us have a battery tender that we put on the battery when we are not going to drive them for a few days. I believe that even when the car has shut down after 20 minutes or so, there are still several computers alive and hence, draining the battery...

You definitely have something way out of whack draining your battery - 2-3 days is NOT the norm. Do you have Mild to Wild on your exhaust? Do you keep your fob nearby? Are the inside lights staying on longer than 10-20 mins after you shut the doors? Any aftermarket electronics? Those are some simple things to check, although I don't think any of them would kill your battery that quick.

Try searching the forum, either on its search or using Google advanced search for only this site, for battery drain. I've seen others post about things causing power drain that you'd never imagine.

You definitely have something way out of whack draining your battery - 2-3 days is NOT the norm. Do you have Mild to Wild on your exhaust? Do you keep your fob nearby? Are the inside lights staying on longer than 10-20 mins after you shut the doors? Any aftermarket electronics? Those are some simple things to check, although I don't think any of them would kill your battery that quick.

Try searching the forum, either on its search or using Google advanced search for only this site, for battery drain. I've seen others post about things causing power drain that you'd never imagine.

maybe there is a grounding problem? or some bad leads? :dunno:

Insert a multi-meter in series with the battery to measure the current draw. Don't record the measurement until the RAP has timed out after twenty minutes or so. Once you're established the idle current draw, start removing fuses one at a time, until you see a reduction in current (Pull the RCDLR fuse first, since that's active while idle.) When the current drops, you've found the suspect circuit.

There are two fuse boxes too.

CC :wave:

Insert a multi-meter in series with the battery to measure the current draw. Don't record the measurement until the RAP has timed out after twenty minutes or so. Once you're established the idle current draw, start removing fuses one at a time, until you see a reduction in current (Pull the RCDLR fuse first, since that's active while idle.) When the current drops, you've found the suspect circuit.

There are two fuse boxes too.

CC :wave:

You should use a shunt in parallel with the meter to do this. Once any initial surge currents have dissipated, you can then open the shunt. (To make a shunt all you need is a parallel zero resistance electrical path). If you don't do this, you risk blowing the meter.

You should use a shunt in parallel with the meter to do this. Once any initial surge currents have dissipated, you can then open the shunt. (To make a shunt all you need is a parallel zero resistance electrical path). If you don't do this, you risk blowing the meter.

The initial connection is less than the 10 amps most meters will handle. I've done it many times without a shunt and have never blown the fuse in the meter. FWIW, my measured current is initially around 7 amps fluctuating for a few seconds, then goes down to about 4.33A. After a few minutes the parasitic drain stabilizes at about 17mA on my car with the Mild2Wild connected.

Can someone explain Mild2Wild I assume it increases exhaust sound with a power increase. How does this work, is it safe, how does everyone like it?

MILD 2 WILD XLR Version

It provides wireless manual control of the vacuum operated muffler baffle on V models. I like mine and run in the open mode most all of the time. it is safe as it is no different than the factory operation except it is on all the time rather than just under a heavy foot at higher RPMs. There was some discussion about parasitic drain on the battery with the car off. I'm not so sure yet how much of an impact it has.

Can someone explain Mild2Wild I assume it increases exhaust sound with a power increase. How does this work, is it safe, how does everyone like it?

VERY generic explanation: If you have a XLR-V, it comes stock with a variable mode exhaust that opens up exhaust baffles at around 3,000 rpm, increasing air flow, power & volume. The Mild2Wild lets you open or close the baffles any time you want by pushing a button. It's not something you can add to anything but the V with that particular exhaust (unless you go through a pretty involved process of retrofitting a V exhaust to a base).

The initial connection is less than the 10 amps most meters will handle. I've done it many times without a shunt and have never blown the fuse in the meter. FWIW, my measured current is initially around 7 amps fluctuating for a few seconds, then goes down to about 4.33A. After a few minutes the parasitic drain stabilizes at about 17mA on my car with the Mild2Wild connected.

Fair enough. I haven't tried this on an XLR. On other automotive applications, I have seen much higher surges in that first instant.

I didn't notice anyone stating that you have to have a V to have wet or wild, the control module for the exhaust is in the trunk on left side while looking in the trunk under the floor mat. If you have a base model you don't have this option, a good exhaust system with headers would give you sound your looking for. I have many pictures in my profile to help making a connection without using wet & wild and just a toggle switch in my center console

Fair enough. I haven't tried this on an XLR. On other automotive applications, I have seen much higher surges in that first instant.

What is Wet & Wild?

I didn't notice anyone stating that you have to have a V to have wet or wild, the control module for the exhaust is in the trunk on left side while looking in the trunk under the floor mat. If you have a base model you don't have this option, a good exhaust system with headers would give you sound your looking for. I have many pictures in my profile to help making a connection without using wet & wild and just a toggle switch in my center console

VERY generic explanation: If you have a XLR-V, it comes stock with a variable mode exhaust that opens up exhaust baffles at around 3,000 rpm, increasing air flow, power & volume. The Mild2Wild lets you open or close the baffles any time you want by pushing a button. It's not something you can add to anything but the V with that particular exhaust (unless you go through a pretty involved process of retrofitting a V exhaust to a base).

MILD 2 WILD XLR Version

It provides wireless manual control of the vacuum operated muffler baffle on V models. I like mine and run in the open mode most all of the time. it is safe as it is no different than the factory operation except it is on all the time rather than just under a heavy foot at higher RPMs. There was some discussion about parasitic drain on the battery with the car off. I'm not so sure yet how much of an impact it has.

that is the best sounding xlr ever !!
wet and wild, alot more fun than the mild to wild version.
where can i buy this system;)

Tis the season to be jolly,:laugh: I can't believe I called it wet & wild, good comeback though. I was thinking of that girl in the pool when I wrote that. These V's during rain are wet & wild though.
that is the best sounding xlr ever !!
wet and wild, alot more fun than the mild to wild version.
where can i buy this system;)

Tis the season to be jolly,:laugh: I can't believe I called it wet & wild, good comeback though. I was thinking of that girl in the pool when I wrote that. These V's during rain are wet & wild though.
I was thinking you may have been distracted by a movie :)

Just in case...

For those of you who did not already know, the instructions with the Mild-to-Wild, whaever mode you shut your engine off in is what the mild-to-wild stays in. If it was wired correctly, it would not matter whether it was left on or off. The add-a-circuit should have been placed in a location where the fuse has no power when the ignition is off.

For those of you who did not already know, the instructions with the Mild-to-Wild, whaever mode you shut your engine off in is what the mild-to-wild stays in. If it was wired correctly, it would not matter whether it was left on or off. The add-a-circuit should have been placed in a location where the fuse has no power when the ignition is off.

I completely disagree and have proven it with actually measurements. The power to the mild-2-wild receiver is wired to a constant on circuit per their instructions. The mode doesn't matter as the mild-2-wild interrupts the power going to the OEM control module not the solenoid itself. This method maintains the stock operation (throttle and RPM) even in quiet mode. The parasitic drain is due to the radio receiver remaining on. There is no additional circuit or fusing recommended by the Mild-2-Wild maker. I certainly didn't want to run a new circuit all the way to the trunk. If I was going to do that I would have just installed a switch and not used the Mild-2-Wild at all.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom