Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

C6 Z06 Full Dual Mode Exhaust - how would it sound on the XLR?

SanDiegoXLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Platinum with Shale
Hi All-
I've thought about buying a C6 Z06 Full Dual Mode Exhaust that is posted locally here in San Diego.
C6 Z06 Full Dual Mode Exhaust

Does this bolt-on directly?
Has anyone heard this exhaust on the XLR?

Since only the XLR-V is set-up for the dual mode exhaust, would this function work on the base XLR (we probably don't have the fuse)?
I've read about the Mild-to-Wild keychain, but I'm thinking I'd rather just drive around with them fully open all the time- or would that be too loud?

Thanks,
Mark

mild to wild exhaust

I too have a mild to wild Corvette exhaust. I think that it would all fit,but the tips are too short.

mild 2 wild exhaust for sale

I want to sell my Corvette exhaust. From manifolds to mufflers. I am going with straight pipes. I put them on my Sedan de Ville,They sound GREAT.

We have pretty rigorous emissions testing in California, so we're pretty limited as to what sort of exhaust mods we can do here. :mad:

As stated it would all bolt on from the h-pipe back. As for emissions nothing would be affected. If you cut out your cats then you have a problem. I put a stock 07 system and it sounded alittle throatier but I wanted alittle more but it did sound better than xlr stock.

So I've done some research, and it seems like this kit allows the dual mode Vette exhaust to function in the base XLR ("NPP in a Box Vacuum Retrofit System"): NPP in a Box ORDER NOW

However, from most reviews I've read- folks typically just drive around with the valves all the way open ("wild" mode), which makes sense- if I wanted "mild", then I'd just stick with my stock exhaust.

I've found lots of sound clips of Vettes in the "wild" mode on Youtube.
Hmmmm....lots of snap, crackle, and pop sounds- especially during deceleration. That sounds fine on traditional muscle cars, but not sure if it's sound I'm going for.
I'm wondering if the XLR will also gurgle and pop if I install this exhaust? Our DOHC, variable valve timing engine is slightly more refined than the pushrod found in Vettes. Will it sound refined when running this exhaust in the open position?

Also, will I need to close the exhaust whenever I take it in for smog testing?

I negotiated a great price for the ZO6 exhaust, and was planning to pick it up on Monday....but having a few doubts.
It would be easier to just buy the Corsa (which I know would sound great), but that's $1000+ too expensive for me.
Thanks,
-Mark

- folks typically just drive around with the valves all the way open ("wild" mode), which makes sense- if I wanted "mild", then I'd just stick with my stock exhaust.

Exactly!

Hmmmm....lots of snap, crackle, and pop sounds- especially during deceleration. That sounds fine on traditional muscle cars, but not sure if it's sound I'm going for.
I'm wondering if the XLR will also gurgle and pop if I install this exhaust? Our DOHC, variable valve timing engine is slightly more refined than the pushrod found in Vettes. Will it sound refined when running this exhaust in the open position?
Elwood does the gurgle and rumble on decel and I personally like it although the note doesn't have enough bass for me, but that's primarily due to the engines small displacement. I usually only use the mild side when cruising above 60MPH; the wild setting has a drone up to 80MPH in 6th gear that's a bit annoying, but once over 80 it quiets right down. :cool:

No, most of the emissions work is done at the cats.

So I've done some research, and it seems like this kit allows the dual mode Vette exhaust to function in the base XLR ("NPP in a Box Vacuum Retrofit System"): NPP in a Box ORDER NOW

However, from most reviews I've read- folks typically just drive around with the valves all the way open ("wild" mode), which makes sense- if I wanted "mild", then I'd just stick with my stock exhaust.

I negotiated a great price for the ZO6 exhaust, and was planning to pick it up on Monday....but having a few doubts.
It would be easier to just buy the Corsa (which I know would sound great), but that's $1000+ too expensive for me.
Thanks,
-Mark

Only problem is you need the XLR-V mufflers that have the M2W capability which list at $1033 each.

Hi Rod....I found a local guy who's willing to sell me his C6 Z06 Full Dual Mode Exhaust for $225, so a lot cheaper than trying to get a XLR-V exhaust (which are really, really rare to find). I'd imagine the Z06 and XLR-V dual mode exhausts are pretty much exactly the same? Can't imagine the engineering being that much different.
I'm still not sure if I want to go for it though because I'm not a fan of gurgle and popping. Plus, my neighbors might want to kill me if it's too loud.

Gizmo- have you ever recorded a video of what yours sounds like? I bet a lot of us would love to hear it!!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom