Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Cadillac Collection

klaptrapper

My XLR/V(s)
2006-V black, ebony
There is a web site which sells accessories for the cadillac collective. I purchased a pair of sun glasses with the "V" in colors on one of the ear pieces. "NEAT" I thought and laid down a cool 150 for a pair. Plus shipping, of course. The first time I used them inside my XLR, some way down the road, I discovered that the head up display had dissappeared. Ohh, maybe a real faint image was discernable.
Well, as you might imagine, for the entire 75 mile trip, I fiddled with every remotely associated control foir image intensity, to no affect. This morning (cloudy) to my surprise, the image was in its full brightness!!! Wow, I thought. Further down the highway (after donning my new V sunglasses) it again dissappeared! I stopped at my local Cadillac dealership to report the failure of my head up display. The tech entered the car on the driver side and turned on the ignition, and reported "no problem" DARN an intermittent I thought. After he left the area, I reentered the cockpit only to discover again "no head up display" . I feared interrupting the tech again and proceeded down the highway.
I took the sun glasses off to polish them and VOILA there was the display!!! Well, by now you guessed it. The sunglasses are polarized in such a way as to obscure the head up display.
All this to caution members of this forum from purchasing the V enscribed sun glasses from "Cadillac Collections".

Sory for the long recital
Rusty 06 V

Actually, ANY polorized sun glasses will make the headup display "dissappear". I notice the same thing when I put on my Smith brand sunglasses that I wear.

I fought this same problem on Marc Toffolo's XLR Tiffany back in '05. It drove me crazy until we finally figured out it was his sunglasses.:cool:

I have a pair of "cheaper" sunglasses that I use when I am wearing my contacts ... they are not poloarized, so I have no problems seeing the HUD... but my polarized clip ons for my regular glasses cut out the display (at which point, I have to look down at the gauges; like I do on any other car I drive :chuckle).

Thanks for the tip, Rusty.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back