Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Cadillac considering new flagship, two-seat sports car??

Rob

Seasoned Member
Staff member
Site Administrator
My XLR/V(s)
Not yet!
Cadillac considering new flagship, two-seat sports car

by Drew Johnson, LeftLane News

Newly appointed Cadillac head Robert Ferguson isn't even technically on the clock yet, but General Motors' freshest executive is already dishing out some juicy details on Cadillac's future.

Shortly after being named Cadillac's new leading man on Tuesday, Ferguson confirmed that Cadillac is strongly considering a new flagship model to compete with vehicles like the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and BMW 7-Series. However, Ferguson stopped short of saying such a vehicle has officially received the green light.

"We're looking at a flagship model," Ferguson told The Detroit News. "It would be the car everyone looks at and says, 'Wow, Cadillac is smoking.'"

Interestingly, Ferguson also revealed that Cadillac is considering a new two-seat sports car. Cadillac's last sporty car, the Corvette-based XLR, was a market flop.

Full Story: Cadillac considering new flagship, two-seat sports car

The article states the XLR was a 'market flop'. It was a market flop in their eyes, as they didn't market it. It was always intended to be a limited production vehicle. Had it been marketed correctly, they may have sold more. The downfall of the XLR was simply due to the economic collapse and bankruptcy of GM. If they truely want to compete against BMW, Mercedes etc, they must provide a convertible and a two seat sports car!! JMO

Cadillac considering new flagship, two-seat sports car

by Drew Johnson, LeftLane News

Newly appointed Cadillac head Robert Ferguson isn't even technically on the clock yet, but General Motors' freshest executive is already dishing out some juicy details on Cadillac's future.

Shortly after being named Cadillac's new leading man on Tuesday, Ferguson confirmed that Cadillac is strongly considering a new flagship model to compete with vehicles like the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and BMW 7-Series. However, Ferguson stopped short of saying such a vehicle has officially received the green light.

"We're looking at a flagship model," Ferguson told The Detroit News. "It would be the car everyone looks at and says, 'Wow, Cadillac is smoking.'"

Interestingly, Ferguson also revealed that Cadillac is considering a new two-seat sports car. Cadillac's last sporty car, the Corvette-based XLR, was a market flop.

Full Story: Cadillac considering new flagship, two-seat sports car

The article states the XLR was a 'market flop'. It was a market flop in their eyes, as they didn't market it. It was always intended to be a limited production vehicle. Had it been marketed correctly, they may have sold more. The downfall of the XLR was simply due to the economic collapse and bankruptcy of GM. If they truely want to compete against BMW, Mercedes etc, they must provide a convertible and a two seat sports car!! JMO

Well said Cubby!

Market flop? Didn't they sell every one they produced? My god, that tiny production line couldn't have kept up with production demand had GM promoted it. :rolleyes:

I agree!!

GEEEEE! For "market flop" car my Roxy still turns heads and get alot of attention! Heck just to night we pulled up to the drive up window and the guy was smiling so hard and say's nice car man! And while in OC Endless Summer show last weekend a lady came up and said she would take this car over all the cars at the show she admitted she had never seen one before but she just loved lines and styling of the car! Hummm sound like a Flop Car alright!!! :laugh: So my flopper is still hot to me!! :lol: :lol:

Dan & Wendy

It's certainly my favorite "market flop"!

Just from this forum one can see the car sells itself, without ANY marketing, as people go coast to coast to get one, keep them for over 200K miles, etc.

Wow, sounds like Cubby's analysis is right!

There hasn't been an instance of my pulling into the local Cadillac dealership that at least one salesman doesn't beat feet toward my market flop as I open the driver's side door and asks me if I want to sell it 'cuz he has a waiting list of potential buyers.

CCC :wave:

I believe that Cubby nailed it.

The car wasn't properly marketed and its demise was a result of the "Government takeover" of GM. There was a rush to purchase the last of the 2009 models when it was announced that the XLR was to be discontinued.

And as Lola's Mom said, just how many "hand-built" cars do you think they could have produced?

Flop? Hardly.

Well said Cubby, Chrysler did and said the same thing about the Crossfire. They said it was a market flop, but the car was never marketed.
:cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

After reading that, I'm now going to return my head to the sand & pretend GM is going to be ok . . . :(

So riddle me this: The XLR, at it's features, style, and price point, who were its primary competitors? How did those competitors do better or worse?

market flop

GEEEEE! For "market flop" car my Roxy still turns heads and get alot of attention! Heck just to night we pulled up to the drive up window and the guy was smiling so hard and say's nice car man! And while in OC Endless Summer show last weekend a lady came up and said she would take this car over all the cars at the show she admitted she had never seen one before but she just loved lines and styling of the car! Hummm sound like a Flop Car alright!!! :laugh: So my flopper is still hot to me!! :lol: :lol:

Dan & Wendy

Well so far almost everyone in my neighborhood has come up and seen my "topless baby". one neighbor said "who died and left you money."Others said what a great car this is. One of my moms friends said "anytime you get tired of it let me know"
Well i think for a long while i'll keep this and baby it as best as i can. Everyone i emailed said this car will be a "head turner" they also told me that i should watch out because since it is red and a sports car. The cops will be "watching" for me.

Well so far almost everyone in my neighborhood has come up and seen my "topless baby". one neighbor said "who died and left you money."Others said what a great car this is. One of my moms friends said "anytime you get tired of it let me know"
Well i think for a long while i'll keep this and baby it as best as i can. Everyone i emailed said this car will be a "head turner" they also told me that i should watch out because since it is red and a sports car. The cops will be "watching" for me.

Well the only thing I can say is get use to it!! That's the way is been since I got Roxy in March of 2011 she had 53,500 now 68,200 so I driver her daily unless its bad weather then she stay in the garage! I get comments almost every day about how nice of a car she is and even had people at car shows that say they did know Cadillac had made a car this AWESOME! So drive her and enjoy her!!! :lol:
Dan :wave:

You and me Granddaddy - I just turned over 58K and she is my daily driver - except on bad weather days - then the Denali does its work. Makes it really comfortable to drive to work.

My '93 Allante only had 19K on her when I sold her last year, and now I wish that I'd driven her daily as well...

Let me see if I can tell this in little words the folks at Cadillac will understand - You say you want to compete with BMW and Mercedes, well when Coach is at the gas station filling Beauty and a mature gentlemen in an M3 pulls in only to tell her what a great car he thinks she has and then drives off - you won! Now if you were only bright enough to know it.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom