Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Cat plugged.

V Happy

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Black XLR-V
After researching on this forum. I cannot come up with where some one successfully accomplished replacing a catalitic converter. My #1 converter is plugged. Less than 29,000 and not babied. I really find it hard to believe but it is verified. I have two ways to go here. New GM manifold with cat or Magniflow manifolds that are supposed to be a exact fit. I haven't talked to Magniflow yet but I don't think even if they are correct and bolt up I don't think the heat shields will fit there manifold. Has anyone used the Magniflow manifolds. They look like headers to me. But are called manifold with cat attached. Heat shields are my biggest concern. The reason I'm leaning in the Magniflow direction is they are supposed to be high flow cats and would work better when I add a cat back like Corsa. Just reaching out if any members have been thru this delemma.
V Happy
p.s. Thermostat has been only problem in the 7 years I've owned this great car. :thumbsup

Moving this thread out of the Proving Grounds forums and into the correct XLR-V forum...

Cat plugged

Members
This Spring I ended up with a check engine light. Checked this out with my tech 2 for diagnostic trouble codes. Ended up having a 0420 code. (Catalyst system low efficency Bank 1) I then researched that code in this forum. I believe I found two instances where members have had this code and used a mr gasket cat cleaner which worked for them. I was not that lucky. After following the directions and the prescribed mileage the car would hardly run. I now not only had a check engine light but a check engine misfire light(blinking check engine) I normally work on my own vehicle but fighting some right hand arthritic condition I had to take it to along time friends garage. First thing he did was pull the up stream oxygen sensor and had me drive it down the road a bit aggressively and asked if it had more power than when I drove it in. It absolutely had more power but still was very sluggish. He then told me I needed a new converter. I then researched what was available. Magnaflow makes two different part numbers that are direct replacements for the 4.4 v motor. I called Magnaflow direct only to find out from them that neither part number would work properly for a street vehicle. The representative I talked to told me to look at my under the hood sticker and if it had California compliant any where on that sticker magnaflow part 51570 left and 51571 right would not work properly. If I installed there manifold I would have to figure out a way to trick the oxygen sensors. I then decided to order a new GM 12638990. I found my best deal at Ed Rinkers discount division out of Michigan. Total cost for manifold core cost and the top and bottom gasket + freight was 959.86. Labor cost was approximately 550.00. Cadillac wanted $1275.00 plus 15 hours labor. I'm now a happy person to have my V back on the road. I'm still amazed this happens with under 29,000. On my way into the garage the exhaust started to rattle. Something broke loose in that converter. I can hear it rattle but looking in both sides of the converter with a camera I cannot see rattling culprit. If I ever get my hand in working order I will cut the cat apart and let you know what broke loose!!

magnaflow headers

I just replaced my stock manifolds/cats with magna flos on my 06 V bolted right up. Have had no problems running without the sheild's and the O2's went in without a htich. The pair shipped was $765 and although a little tight was able to swap them out in about 2 hours. I had run over a 2x4 on the freeway and it had smacked the cat and broke loose the guts thus blocking the exaust. Saved about a grand overall and the car runs better with the improved flow.

Rocky

Cat plugged

Rocky
Does your polution sticker on your hood have a California designation on it. I'm assuming it does. What was the Magniflow part numbers you used? The Magniflow left side numbers in my last thread was on back order till 8/15/16 or I probably would have went that route. I was a little concerned with the heat shields not fitting the magniflows. Magniflow told me that there manifolds did not produce the heat that the factory cast iron manifold produced. i was afraid to wait when Magniflow told me they could not gauranty the production date of August. The limited productions of our V'S may have stopped Magniflow from producing more product. Thank you for the comeback. If I ever decide to go to the corsa cat back system I probably would change the manifolds to Magniflows.
Thanks again
V Happy :thumbsup

magna-flo part numbers

I ordered them on June 6th got them on the 10th direct fit #s 50784 and 50785 and I can attest to the reduced heat, The short tube header design improves flow and the heat flows down and out instead of soaking into the cast to radiate. I bought mine as a salvage and it took over a year to bring it back to life, but well worth the time, learned a lot about the car and get a big smile every time I catch a glimpse

Rocky

Clarification for this thread

I don't have this problem, but have read and researched the Magnaflow parts as listed in these posts.

To clarify, the part #'s listed by VHappy, (51570 & 51571) are for the XLR-V, 49 state compliant, not valid for CA.

The part #'s listed by rockyrhoads, (50784 & 50785) are for the Base XLR, 49 state compliant, not valid for CA.

They all showed as being available on Amazon.com in limited quantities.

Cat plugged

Gentleman
Not wanting to get everyone confused. I did a little research on Magniflow.com and when you get to anyone of the numbers we have been discussing there manifolds fit both the 4.6 (base) and the 4.4(v). When you click on any of the numbers in our conversation they have a check what vehicles are comparable it shows 4.6 and 4.4 compatability. I really find that hard to believe but I thought it might be helpful to 4.6 owners that are looking for a little more HP. Magnaflow may have this confused but it looks like they fit both!
Bob:dunno:

Bob,

Your link is wrong--you spelled Magnaflow wrong. The info I providedwas from information on Amazon's website. When you go to the Magnaflow.com website; the part numbers you provided are for both the 4.6 & 4.4 Northstar engines. Part number 50784 comes up as discontinued, replaced by 51570. Part number 50785 still comes up, but only shows working on the 4.6 (Base) engine.

Anyway, its good to know there are options available to us rather than the OEM cats.

Gentleman
Not wanting to get everyone confused. I did a little research on Magniflow.com and when you get to anyone of the numbers we have been discussing there manifolds fit both the 4.6 (base) and the 4.4(v). When you click on any of the numbers in our conversation they have a check what vehicles are comparable it shows 4.6 and 4.4 compatability. I really find that hard to believe but I thought it might be helpful to 4.6 owners that are looking for a little more HP. Magnaflow may have this confused but it looks like they fit both!
Bob:dunno:

cats

sorry did not mean to ruffle so many feathers. I ordered and have installed the #s I listed and am getting better response. I did my research and found they fit and saved at least $1000 and even lost some weight not to mention a couple of radiators under the hood. I was not trying to get anyone to buy them.

Rocky

Cat plugged

Rocky
Sorry if it sounded like feathers were getting ruffled. I was ok with the whole exchange of information. I must have had my boxing gloves on when typing magnaflow. I was just surprised that the 70 and 71 fit 4.6 and 4.4 alike. Thanks to you and Cubby for all the info.
Bob:wave:

I don't see where anyone's feathers were ruffled. I was merely trying explain the different part numbers. As with a lot of parts for these cars, some items are different on the V model compared to the Base. That was probably the case earlier with the Magnaflow parts, but they obviously discovered the part numbers VHappy has listed, would work on both motors. It would make sense, being the blocks are the same, just bored different. Thanks to both of you for providing valuable information, should anyone need to replace the catalytic converters.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom