Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

changed out exhaust???

srs244

My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR platinum
i am thinking about changing out the exhaust on my 08 XLR platinum. i would like it to have a bit more of a throaty sound. i have experimented with a variety of different corvette exhaust systems over the years before deciding on one that i liked that wasn't too loud, didn't have drone at speed, and allowed you to carry on a converstion while driving. what if any suggestions can you make for something that won't break the bank cost wise in the way of a more aggressive cat back system than the stock one??

thanks for the help.

steve

... wasn't too loud, didn't have drone at speed, and allowed you to carry on a converstion while driving.

Well that takes my Billy Boat Fusion off the table. :chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

Many of us on the forum with Base XLR's have a Corsa Cat-back Exhaust. It is known for its noise canceling baffles so the drone is greatly reduced if not eliminated at cruising speeds. You get the throaty sound when you accelerate. I have pasted a YouTube clip. I purchased mine through Autoplicity, but would not recommend them as they continued to purposely delay my order I assume to use my money for a couple of months. I finally contacted CORSA directly and got my system within a week. Autoplicity sent me an Email 1 week after I received my system saying that it would be another 2 weeks. I had my Independent mechanic install it for me. He drives a Porsche and was very impressed with the CORSA system.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pCnnF4RNR4k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well that takes my Billy Boat Fusion off the table. :chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

very familiar with the fusion as i have it installed on my 04 C5 commemorative edition corvette convertible. wasn't aware that they made a system for the XLR (or did you just adapt the vette system??

Many of us on the forum with Base XLR's have a Corsa Cat-back Exhaust. It is known for its noise canceling baffles so the drone is greatly reduced if not eliminated at cruising speeds. You get the throaty sound when you accelerate. I have pasted a YouTube clip. I purchased mine through Autoplicity, but would not recommend them as they continued to purposely delay my order I assume to use my money for a couple of months. I finally contacted CORSA directly and got my system within a week. Autoplicity sent me an Email 1 week after I received my system saying that it would be another 2 weeks. I had my Independent mechanic install it for me. He drives a Porsche and was very impressed with the CORSA system.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pCnnF4RNR4k

thanks for the suggestions ans the link. i was familiar that they made that system, but when i tried to find a dealer in my area, i couldn't find one that had it in stock (all had to be ordered with no guarantee as to the delivery time). i could do that myself and probably install it also, but i don't want the hassle. it also seems that the price is controlled or "fixed" with everyone selling at the exact same pricing. thanks again for the link and suggestion.

steve

Billy Boat makes the Fusion exhaust for the XLR-V's. I don't think they have a system for the base model. Corsa is the only exhaust I know of with no drone for the base XLR. You are right about the price, I don't think you can find anyone who has it at a price higher or lower then $5 difference :chuckle:chuckle

BTW, the Billy Boat has drone with the baffles open at highway speed, I have it on mine.

very familiar with the fusion as i have it installed on my 04 C5 commemorative edition corvette convertible. wasn't aware that they made a system for the XLR (or did you just adapt the vette system??

Corsa offers the only aftermarket exhaust system that doesn't drone.

As previously stated, many of us have it and are very pleased. There is no "set" price, unless you buy retail. That would be bad.

A quick look on eBay shows the 14156 (dual quad tips) systems selling between $1590 and $2162. That's quite a price spread. I watched for awhile and bought mine new for $800 on eBay, but those deals are far and few between. You can always make a lower offer; it's not like these systems are flying off the shelves.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
i did see the billy boat fusion but like you i also beleive it is on ly for the V not the base or platinum editions. i have the system on my 04 corvette and love it. the gates are controlled via a rf send/receive setup ctivated by a fob. works great and obviously you can cut the drone by backing down the "wild" "setting".i have had corsa systems in the past and i guess that is where i'll wind up if i can't adapt the vette version of the fusion system in some way.

It certainly can be done. A few base XLR owners have put the bi-mode V exhaust on and use the Mild 2 Wild control to operate the system. You need to run a vacuum line for it to operate. Having had both a base and a V, the Billy Boat is louder than the Corsa. Both in closed and open mode. Obviously there is no controlling the Corsa, but as cclarke said, there is no drone!

i did see the billy boat fusion but like you i also beleive it is on ly for the V not the base or platinum editions. i have the system on my 04 corvette and love it. the gates are controlled via a rf send/receive setup ctivated by a fob. works great and obviously you can cut the drone by backing down the "wild" "setting".i have had corsa systems in the past and i guess that is where i'll wind up if i can't adapt the vette version of the fusion system in some way.

If you do order online, I suggest going to retailmenot.com - this site has coupon codes and they generally work. I know I received 20% off on my brakes and rotors and free shipping on the exhaust system. I just punched in Streetside auto, and they had coupon codes for $35 off and free shipping.

There seem to be 3 models of the Corsa: The Touring, the Sport, and the "Make your ears bleed". Which do y'all run, and how do you like the model you picked?

Tim

I believe there is only sport and touring for the XLR. Think most have the sport.

There seem to be 3 models of the Corsa: The Touring, the Sport, and the "Make your ears bleed". Which do y'all run, and how do you like the model you picked?

Tim

seems to be alot of interest in the exhaust, anyone interested in a group buy? maybe we can get enough people for springtime?

seems to be alot of interest in the exhaust, anyone interested in a group buy? maybe we can get enough people for springtime?

i certainly would be interested depending on what model is group chosen.

It certainly can be done. A few base XLR owners have put the bi-mode V exhaust on and use the Mild 2 Wild control to operate the system. You need to run a vacuum line for it to operate. Having had both a base and a V, the Billy Boat is louder than the Corsa. Both in closed and open mode. Obviously there is no controlling the Corsa, but as cclarke said, there is no drone!

actually if i can adapt the corvette version for the C5, there are no vacuum connections it is all electronic with a sending (a fob) and receiving unit (located in the passenger footwell fuse box) to operate the unit. it works quite well and at least on my 04 C5, in the "mild" configuration at speed there is virtually no drone at all. i have taken trips at speeds of over 75mph for at least 1.5 hours without interruption and never had a problem. that would be the optimum set up for me if it could be done.

When we got Corsa there was only one option available, sport (which I think is supposed to be louder than touring). Looks like that's all they have currently on the Corsa site, just whether you get black or chrome tips: CORSA. We ordered ours from Summit Racing which had free shipping at the time, since you can't get the exhaust directly from Corsa.

Don't know how Billy Boat sounds on Corvettes, but I do know the V Fusion exhaust is WAY louder (baffles open or not) than the Corsa, at least to me. Fusion boarders on being unpleasant, Corsa seems just right to my ears.

Some me folks on here have created their own exhausts too, or used brands other than Corsa, like Magnaflow. Don't know how those sound.

thanks. yes, i have seen all different "off brand" type stuff out there that they claim fits the XLR. the 08 xlr platinum doesn't have near the same hp output with the stock northstar as my 04 commemorative edition C5 corvette, so i'm guessing if i can figure out a way to adapt it, it won't be a problem in the "mild" configuration for cruising. like my vette, i would keep it on the "wild" setting for normal around town type driving. the corsa systems i had tried on my vette just didn't do it sound wise for me. i did use a corsa X pipe on the vette however as i found it to be a great product. even the borla stingers i tired weren't a very pleasant deep throated type sound. they were more like the european high pitch whine than anything else in my opinion.

I can say that exhaust of a c6 will directly bolt on to a xlr. I purchased a h-pipe back setup off someone had it ceramic coated and bolted it up. I didn't like the sound of the stock c6 mufflers they weren't throaty enough so I took the axle back tubes off cut the mufflers off and welded on a set of hooker mufflers and new exhaust tips. Then had that ceramic coated. No drone nice and throaty. :thumbsup. The c5 setup might have subtle differences I can't say for sure but the c6 will definitely work. And yes the borla systems definitely have that euro sound and backfire on deceleration :(.

One's Two Cents' Worth

i am thinking about changing out the exhaust on my 08 XLR platinum. i would like it to have a bit more of a throaty sound. i have experimented with a variety of different corvette exhaust systems over the years before deciding on one that i liked that wasn't too loud, didn't have drone at speed, and allowed you to carry on a converstion while driving. what if any suggestions can you make for something that won't break the bank cost wise in the way of a more aggressive cat back system than the stock one??

thanks for the help.

steve

Shortly after I bought my 2004 XLR I wanted to relive my youth. I wanted my XLR to sound the way my muscle cars of the past sounded. I loved the roar when I punched it taken off from the light and the gurgling it made as I let off on the throttle. The mellow sound it made while just cruising along the open road. It was music to my ears. I read all the comments about this and that exhaust systems that XLR owners had installed. I attended numerous car shows and XLR meets and listen to their exhaust. At one of the Corvette FunFest I even pulled the trigger on having a performance exhaust installed while there but, they didn't have one in stock. Once I got back home, I decided to find a custom exhaust shop and have them do what I had done in the old days. I found an old experienced independent exhaust shop in Wilmington, Il. that specialized in custom work. I had them cut off both mufflers and replace them with just straight stainless steel pipes and reinstalled the original tips. You can't tell by looking that it wasn't the original setup. But, boy did it sound great. Just like the old days. It was wonderful. The total cost was $150 dollars.

So before you install that $2,500 dollar exhaust try it, you have nothing to loose since you're going to replace it anyhow. I have before and after photos of the work, it looks as it came like that from the factory. I haven't figured out how to post photos on this site but, if you're interested I can email them.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom