Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

News: Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix - Jun 1-3, 2012

GizmoQ

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V; 1996 Eldorado ESC-V
The Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix returns to the Motor City on June 1-3, 2012. The event will feature the cars of the IZOD IndyCar Series, the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series, the Indy Lights Series and the Pirelli World Challenge Championship Series. The weekend collectively is referred to as the Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix.

grand_stand.jpg

penske-grand-prix-0757.jpg

DETROIT, Mich. (Nov. 17, 2011) - Tickets for the 2012 Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix will go on sale to the public on Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2011 and prices will remain the same as they were four years ago for the last Grand Prix event in Detroit.

World-class auto racing will return to the Motor City the weekend of June 1-3, 2012 as the Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix will roar through the streets of Belle Isle Park for the first time since 2008. The action-packed weekend will feature four premiere racing series competing on the 2.1-mile road course at Belle Isle. The cars of the IZOD IndyCar Series, the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series, the Pirelli World Challenge Championship Series and the Firestone Indy Lights Series will all race at the Grand Prix to wave the green flag on summertime in Detroit.

Tickets for the three-day event can be purchased by calling 1-866-464-PRIX (7749), by visiting the Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix office located in suite 2311, above the Wintergarden in the GM Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit or online at Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix beginning Nov. 22.

Several ticket plan options will be available for purchase including, single-day, two-day or three-day "super" reserved grandstand ticket packages. Hospitality plans, garage/paddock passes, general admission tickets and wheelchair accessible seating for the Grand Prix may also be purchased starting next Tuesday.

The Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix will once again offer one of the best values in entertainment as ALL tickets will be priced the same or below the levels they were for the last Grand Prix event on Belle Isle in 2008.

Team Penske IndyCar drivers Helio Castroneves - the three-time Indy 500 champion, 2000 and 2001 Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix winner and former Dancing with the Stars champ - and Will Power - series runner-up and Road Course champion in both 2010 and 2011 - will visit Detroit to celebrate tickets going on sale. Castroneves and Power will actually be on site at the Grand Prix office in downtown Detroit the morning of Nov. 22 to field calls from ticket buyers and help sell tickets to the event.

"In both 2007 and 2008 the Grand Prix welcomed over 100,000 fans to Detroit over the course of the three-day weekend," said Bud Denker, Event Chairman of the Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix. "This is a great event for the Motor City and all of southeast Michigan and we will provide even more family entertainment and great racing for our fans as we bring the Grand Prix back to Belle Isle. Our region has been through some difficult times the past few years and we are excited to keep ticket prices the same as they were four years ago and we encourage everyone to secure their seats early and take advantage of the opportunity to buy your tickets from Helio or Will on November 22nd."

The Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix is a 501(c)3 and a subsidiary of the Downtown Detroit Partnership. The event will be held June 1-3, 2012 and will include the Chevrolet Detroit Indy Grand Prix presented by ShopAutoWeek.com featuring the cars of the IZOD IndyCar Series, the Chevrolet GRAND-AM Detroit 200 at Belle Isle presented by the Metro Detroit Chevy Dealers with the sports cars of the GRAND-AM Rolex Series, the Cadillac V-Series Challenge presented by the Metro Detroit Cadillac Dealers featuring the cars of the Pirelli World Challenge Championship Series and the Firestone Indy Lights Series. For more information, visit Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix and follow our social media pages at Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix - Sports Venue - Detroit, MI | Facebook and Detroit Grand Prix (@detroitgp) on Twitter.

Anybody else want to meet me there?

Mark your calendars, this will be the first Midwest race venue of the year for the Cadillac Racing Team. I know some of you will be going to Sebring........

My schedule is no way near concrete, but I will be attending the World Challenge race and sprinting outta there as soon as its over to catch up to the Hot Rod Power Tour (HRPT) cruisers. OBTW, if you guys have a little time to kill, the HRPT will be in Detroit on Saturday, Muskegon, MI on Sunday, and Champaign, IL on Monday.

Mark your calendars, this will be the first Midwest race venue of the year for the Cadillac Racing Team. I know some of you will be going to Sebring, but the Caddies aren't going to be there this year...............

CRAP!

I have not got around to getting tickets or a hotel yet for Sebring so now I am glad I have not: I was really going so I could see the CTS-V's race.

SO......... I better climb out from under the rock I seem to be living under and find out more about this racing series so I don't make this mistake again.

So Giz, you say that this race is the one to go to? I will have to check my 'dance card' and see if we are free to attend that! (this retirement stuff is keeping me very busy)

Sandy, the Cadillacs will be running @ Mid-Ohio in August if you miss them in Detroit.:wave:

Mark your calendars, this will be the first Midwest race venue of the year for the Cadillac Racing Team. I know some of you will be going to Sebring...............

CRAP!

I have not got around to getting tickets or a hotel yet for Sebring so now I am glad I have not: I was really going so I could see the CTS-V's race.

SO......... I better climb out from under the rock I seem to be living under and find out more about this racing series so I don't make this mistake again.

So Giz, you say that this race is the one to go to? I will have to check my 'dance card' and see if we are free to attend that! (this retirement stuff is keeping me very busy)

Maybe I better clarify my exuberance. World Challenge has announced all but one race (I expect it to be Road Atlanta). The Detroit race is just the first one close to many Midwesterners. I haven't been to the Belle Ilse racing circuit in a decade (I think it was at a Formula One race) so I wouldn't know how it compares to Mid-Ohio. We have a significant showing at Mid-Ohio, have a great corral area, great rapport with the track and the teams when there, know the best viewing areas, etc. Mid-Ohio is, in my opinion, the BEST to us just because I've been there the most and the XLR group and Cadillac Racing keeps making it better every year.

I like the idea of going to Detroit next year for the simple fact that I can kill two birds with one stone - Cadillac Racing and HRPT. If you're not familiar with the Hot Rod Power Tour, its probably the largest classic/custom/muscle/exotic car show you'll ever see in one place. Detroit estimates over 8000 cars in attendance. Widely considered to be the finest high-end automotive tour in the world, The HOT ROD Magazine Power Tour embodies everything that HOT ROD Magazine has represented throughout its vast history. All makes and models of amazing hot rods, street rods, custom trucks, sport compacts and street machines will be along for the ride. Sure the promoters bring a few trailer Queens to each venue (like the C7 Concept car), but the "long haulers" are all driven over 1000 miles in week-long tour. I plan on doing the entire tour ("Long Hauler") with a couple other XLR and Corvette owners. Last year I finished up the tour and was able to get a group shot of 4 of the eight XLRs at the finale.

From World-Challenge.com:
Complete 2012 Pirelli World Challenge Schedule, Touring Car B-Spec Class Announced

The 2012 campaign will mark the 23rd consecutive year for one of North America’s top professional series for production-based sports cars and competitors will once again contend for Drivers’, Manufacturers’ and Team Championships in the individual GT, GTS and Touring Car categories. Touring Car B-Spec, a new class for the 2012 season, has been added to the schedule and will run at three of the eight event weekends.

For the seventh-straight year, the Pirelli World Challenge returns to the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach and the ‘Roar by the Shore’, April 13-15. Only the GT and GTS fields will compete on the 11-turn, 1.968-mile temporary street course.

The series then heads to Miller Motorsports Park (MMP) just outside of Salt Lake City, Utah, April 27-29 as co-headliner with the NASCAR K&N Pro West Series. The MMP event marks the debut of the Pirelli World Challenge Touring Car B-Spec class.

Teams and drivers will set their sights on the Motor City to race on the Streets of Detroit, as part of the Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix, June 1-3. All Pirelli World Challenge classes, including Touring Car B-Spec, will compete on this weekend.

The series heads across the border just east of Toronto, June 22-24, for its only Canadian event in 2012 as part of the annual Mosport International Raceway SpeedFest. All classes will compete on this weekend.

GT and GTS classes will compete in a total of 12 races, Touring Car 13 and Touring Car B-Spec nine.

“The aim is to continue to provide our fans with what they want, the best sports car racing with a balanced schedule at top street courses and road racing circuits in North America,” Scott Bove, Director of Operations, WC Vision said. “Our drivers and teams are put to the test at each and every event, delivering thunderous standing starts, tremendous door-to-door racing in a 50-minute sprint format to the finish. The 2012 schedule will demonstrate what Pirelli World Challenge is all about.”

The Pirelli World Challenge Championships are one of North America's top production car-based racing series. Divided into four separate categories (Pirelli World Challenge GT, Pirelli World Challenge GTS, Pirelli World Challenge Touring Car, and Pirelli World Challenge Touring Car B-Spec), races feature thrilling standing starts, adrenaline filled door-to-door action and world-class drivers. Pirelli World Challenge features cars from the world's most popular manufacturers – race-prepped versions of the cars driven on the streets. Sanctioned by SCCA Pro Racing, Pirelli World Challenge races at North America's premier road and temporary street courses. For more information about Pirelli World Challenge, visit SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge.

Complete 2012 Pirelli World Challenge Schedule Announced

March 23-25, Streets of St. Petersburg (with IndyCar). St. Petersburg, Fla. (Rounds 1 and 2: GT, GTS and TC)

April 13–15, Streets of Long Beach (with IndyCar/ALMS). Long Beach, Calif.
 (Round 3: GT, GTS)

April 27–29, Miller Motorsports Park (co-headliner, NASCAR West). Tooele, Utah (Round 4: GT, GTS; Rounds 3, 4, 5: TC; Rounds 1, 2, 3: TCB)

May 10–12, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca (with ALMS). Monterey, Calif. (Round 5: GT, GTS; Round 6: TC)

June 1–3, Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix, (with IndyCar/GA Rolex). Detroit, Mich. (Rounds 6, 7: GT, GTS)

June 22–24, Mosport International Raceway (Pirelli World Challenge Headliner).
Bowmanville, Ont., CA. (Rounds 8, 9: GT, GTS; Rounds 7, 8, 9: TC; Rounds 4, 5, 6: TCB)

August 3-5, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (with IndyCar/ALMS). Lexington, Ohio (Rounds 10, 11: GT, GTS; Rounds 10, 11: TC)

August 24-26, Infineon Raceway (with IndyCar). Sonoma, Calif. (Round 12: GT, GTS; Rounds 12, 13, 14: TC; Rounds 7, 8, 9: TCB)

Been gone for a while, figured I better fix some of my mistakes. Evidently, the Caddies will be racing at Sebring, but will not be returning to Road Atlanta.

This looks like a GREAT weekend of racing. The Cadillacs will be racing on both Saturday & Sunday. There will be a Cadillac parking corral for you guys. :wave:

There will be a Cadillac parking corral for you guys. :wave:

Looks like the Cadillac Coral parking is reserved for V-Series only :( Damn, I better upgrade to a V-Series soon.

Looks like the Cadillac Coral parking is reserved for V-Series only :( Damn, I better upgrade to a V-Series soon.

Where'd you see that? The Detroit track website tickets page says:
Please Note: To be permitted to park in the Corrals you must drive the required brand to be admitted. Car club membership is not required to participate in the Corral.

I read that as Cadillac brand not "V" model. Did I miss something?

On another note, Cadillac has an incredibly inexpensive offer being sent out to owners to get them to attend the Utah Grand Prix:

6-04-944UtahRacingOwnerEmail_V2.jpg

Where'd you see that? The Detroit track website tickets page says:

Please Note: To be permitted to park in the Corrals you must drive the required brand to be admitted. Car club membership is not required to participate in the Corral.

I read that as Cadillac brand not "V" model. Did I miss something?

If you actually click on "Purchase Tickets", when you get to the "Verification" page, there is a comment in there:

Note: Only Cadillac V-series models will be permitted to park in the Car Corral

:dunno:

Well, that doesn't seem fair. You could always put a V logo on your DTS.:lol:

Why not? :willy_nilly: There's already one of those near Chicago. I think he lives in Bollingbrook. I've seen him a couple times on my way to Busse Woods. I can't talk, I rebadged my Eldorado, too. :naughty:

If you actually click on "Purchase Tickets", when you get to the "Verification" page, there is a comment in there:

Note: Only Cadillac V-series models will be permitted to park in the Car Corral

:dunno:

I hadn't got that far. I am trying to get my marketing contacts to let me know if the same offer as that in Utah will be offered to us diehard fans for the Detroit race. Now that they are setting up car corrals at many of the venues they race, I don't expect we'll get any freebies like last year, but I let them know "V" only is a bit too restrictive.

We'll see what they say.

I hadn't got that far. I am trying to get my marketing contacts to let me know if the same offer as that in Utah will be offered to us diehard fans for the Detroit race. Now that they are setting up car corrals at many of the venues they race, I don't expect we'll get any freebies like last year, but I let them know "V" only is a bit too restrictive.

We'll see what they say.

Thanks Giz - let me know what you hear. I noticed that UTAH has the same "V-Only" restriction - its in your post. :( I might have to go to eBay and get a few V badges, huh? My Corsa exhaust makes it SOUND like a V, doesn't it? :chuckle

Thanks Giz - let me know what you hear. I noticed that UTAH has the same "V-Only" restriction - its in your post. :( I might have to go to eBay and get a few V badges, huh? My Corsa exhaust makes it SOUND like a V, doesn't it? :chuckle

Dave, ya might need to line up a "V" hood, too, whaddyathink?

:lol:

Tim

Just got off the phone with John Kraemer, Cadillac V Series / Racing Manager. He said, "They let in who I say gets in and all XLRs are welcome!"

He was apologetic about the price comparison between Utah and Detroit. But in his defense - Detroit is a "Chevy" sponsored event as opposed to a "Cadillac" sponsored one. He said the corral at Mid-Ohio will be more reasonably priced and although the flyer on it may also say "V" only, again we are all more than welcome.

Just got off the phone with John Kraemer, Cadillac V Series / Racing Manager. He said, "They let in who I say gets in and all XLRs are welcome!"

He was apologetic about the price comparison between Utah and Detroit. But in his defense - Detroit is a "Chevy" sponsored event as opposed to a "Cadillac" sponsored one. He said the corral at Mid-Ohio will be more reasonably priced and although the flyer on it may also say "V" only, again we are all more than welcome.

Thanks, Giz, I appreciate you making the call. :rocker: I'm glad ANY XLR is welcomed in the Cadillac Coral in Detroit. I'm going to plan on going!

Its Grand Prix weekend!!!

IMG_20120601_180901.jpg

IMG_20120601_181255.jpg

Its Grand Prix weekend!!!

IMG_20120601_181137.jpg

Hey Gizmo: even you posted a picture of YOU ........... after you giving me heck for posting the Weiner Mobile picture...........:chuckle

Hey Gizmo: even you posted a picture of YOU ........... after you giving me heck for posting the Weiner Mobile picture...........:chuckle

OOPS! Been a long week.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back