Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Dancing Shoes & Cracked Rear Spring

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Silver/Black XLR
In the past few months, my ride and handling has degraded a great deal and has become jumpy ... As if my rear end was dancing on pavement irregularities. The feeling is somewhat similar to driving in the winter and crossing the slush as you change lanes ... You get a momentary sliding feeling. I can experience this driving slow on residential streets as well as highway speeds. Bumps and potholes are not an issue ... It is mostly pronounced on surface "waves".

I brought the vehicle to the dealer recently (an '06 with 21K) and they discovered a cracked rear spring. After the replacement, the ride is slightly better, but not "normal" yet. BTW- I do have a rear sway bar (dealer installed over a year ago).

So far (on another forum), there have been suggestions of over-tightening during the sway bar installation as a possibility of the cracked spring. For those that have installed a rear sway bar ... Does this sound like a plausible explanation?

Also, I've been informed that degraded tires can cause the sliding sensation I'm feeling. My tires appear to be in good shape (unlike me :chuckle<g>), but the soon to be switch to the snow tires may confirm this. Again, does anyone else have any feedback or feel the two problems may be related.

Thanx,
427</g>

I helped Ben (XLR28) put on his sway bar. You don't do anything to the rear spring when it's installed. Basically 8 bolts (and nuts). 4 holding the bar to the frame, 2 on each side (not near the spring) and 4 more, once again 2 each side, for the shaft links. That's all!

I didn't think the spring was removed/tightened when the sway bar was installed ... Thanx for the confirmation. This still has me scratching my head as to what caused it to crack so early ... Especially since I drive like an old lady (no offense to old ladies).

You might also have a complete alignment done; all four wheels adjust and the rear alignment is as important as the front. It could be a contributing factor (along with the anti-slip rear-end).

In the past few months, my ride and handling has degraded a great deal and has become jumpy ... As if my rear end was dancing on pavement irregularities. The feeling is somewhat similar to driving in the winter and crossing the slush as you change lanes ... You get a momentary sliding feeling. I can experience this driving slow on residential streets as well as highway speeds. Bumps and potholes are not an issue ... It is mostly pronounced on surface "waves".

I brought the vehicle to the dealer recently (an '06 with 21K) and they discovered a cracked rear spring. After the replacement, the ride is slightly better, but not "normal" yet. BTW- I do have a rear sway bar (dealer installed over a year ago).

So far (on another forum), there have been suggestions of over-tightening during the sway bar installation as a possibility of the cracked spring. For those that have installed a rear sway bar ... Does this sound like a plausible explanation?

Also, I've been informed that degraded tires can cause the sliding sensation I'm feeling. My tires appear to be in good shape (unlike me :chuckle<G>), but the soon to be switch to the snow tires may confirm this. Again, does anyone else have any feedback or feel the two problems may be related.

Thanx,
427</G>
I agree with Deluxe, have the alignment checked (4 wheel). Also check air pressure in the tires, over or under inflated. You could also rotate the tires and see if it makes a difference. I can't see how overtightening the fasteners during installation of the rear swaybar would have any effect on anything.

Bruce :)

Good thoughts gentlemen ... Thanx for the input. Unfortunately, the dealership did a 4-wheel alignment after the spring replacement (they said it was recommended as part of the service).

I was thinking of rotating the tires, as Bruce suggested ... But since I will be putting the snow tires on shortly, I figured I'd wait another week or two.

I'll try to post back and let you know the outcome,
Jack

Bruce Almighty (and I mean no disrespect ... I hold you in very high esteem :worship:), what else may be a contributing factor to early spring failure? Have you seen or heard of any others with as little as 21K? As mentioned, I do not drive aggressively nor did I hit any massive pothole that would have caused this problem.

If the rare occurrence with the frame welds were present, could this be a possibility? Then again, if it wasn't for BAD luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Jack, I have not seen any springs (front or rear) cracking in our area. If there have been cases of them breaking, I would think it would be a manufacturing problem. That style of spring has been around since '80 on the Corvette.

:)

I guess I'm just a lucky guy. ;)
Thanx for the response.

Jack, I have not seen any springs (front or rear) cracking in our area. If there have been cases of them breaking, I would think it would be a manufacturing problem. That style of spring has been around since '80 on the Corvette.

:)

Broken Apring mount

I know this is an old thread but its the only one I have found with a spring problrm. Monday I started hearing a bumping noise in the right rear and took my 07 with 43000 miles to the dealer. They called and said the rear spring mount had broken and it will take a week to get the parts in to fix. I do not have a sway bar installed. Any one seen this before?

Got car back today. Work order said the rear spring pads were broken and seperated from the spring. They replaced the rear spring. Car is sitting higher in the rear and has a firm ride now. They also told me my rear tires had some cuts on them and should be replaced, they quoted $2000.00 for a set of 4 tires!! Also said rear needed alignment now. I have ordered a sway bar from GMParts Direct and will install it befor I get alignment done.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom