Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Early XLRs

Kenny Franklin

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Light Platinum XLR
I have recently decided to give up my 2 wheel hobby ( spending tons of money on a Harley Street Glide ) to go to a little safer mode of 4 wheel motorsports pleasure. I originally had 3 cars in mind a Chevrolet Corvette, Mercedes SL500 or an XLR. Well I have truly fallen in love with XLRs but I have often heard in the past to stay away from early or first year models. My wallet really says I'm looking for a 04-06 XLR. Are there any issues one should be aware of when looking at these years.

There are several threads on these problems. '04 and '05's have the crazed parklamp issue, '06 these were taken care of. '04's have more top issues than other years. Any XLR's you look at purchasing, make sure to look in the lefthand trunk compartment. This is where the "brains' for the top are kept; there should be NO remnants of water being in this area. If this area gets wet, it is a VERY expensive fix... upwards of $2000.

Hi Kenny, first let me welcome you to a great forum!! the problems w/04 and early 05's will mostly be corrected if they have any kind of miles on them,maybe 20/30K? problems were obvious early like leaking radiators and were fixed.same with the top,mostly needed new sensors and reprograming. good luck in your search. Al:)

Model Year Differences

I have recently decided to give up my 2 wheel hobby ( spending tons of money on a Harley Street Glide ) to go to a little safer mode of 4 wheel motorsports pleasure. I originally had 3 cars in mind a Chevrolet Corvette, Mercedes SL500 or an XLR. Well I have truly fallen in love with XLRs but I have often heard in the past to stay away from early or first year models. My wallet really says I'm looking for a 04-06 XLR. Are there any issues one should be aware of when looking at these years.

First, let me also welcome you to the forum. :blinzel: You'll likely enjoy the banter going on here, not to mention the valuable advice.

As an owner of an '06, let me say that I view myself as fortunate (dumb luck, actually) for getting that model. The '06 and later models have the crazed DRLs fixed, AND the headlights turn with the steering wheel (in AUTO mode only). We also don't have the XM "Wart" on the trunk lid which cleans up the lines a little. We also have wood around the CD player, which looks great.

That being said, I sometimes wish I had a later model, so the OnStar guidance would work better (essentially useless on '06 and earlier). So, my take on this choice is: go with an '06 or later model. Everyone on this forum will second Rod's recommendation to really check out the driver's side trunk storage compartment. If there is any evidence of water having accumulated there, RUN Forest, RUN! :chuckle

Tim

I too have a 06. But the one thing that the 09 model has, that I have heard is the 09's have the Bluetooth. The 04-08 don't have that. Some here have tried to have a iPod interface put in but later have had no luck because you lose Onstar and eventually they tear it out because of problems down the line. But I'm sure others here will help with any questions. Yes I'm glad that after reading about the 04-05 model headlights. I'm glad they fixed that in my yr. I've only had a problem with water leak. So after 3 trips to the dealership, and the service guy in the trunk getting soaked, when they did a water test, Everything now is better. Oh btw it was $1100.00 with parts and labor charge. Just remember the "brains" of the car are in the driver side cubby of the trunk. If that has any signs of water. Then rush to the ER (dealer) Because water there will damage or make it impossible for the car to run or work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, let me also welcome you to the forum. :blinzel: You'll likely enjoy the banter going on here, not to mention the valuable advice.

As an owner of an '06, let me say that I view myself as fortunate (dumb luck, actually) for getting that model. The '06 and later models have the crazed DRLs fixed, AND the headlights turn with the steering wheel (in AUTO mode only). We also don't have the XM "Wart" on the trunk lid which cleans up the lines a little. We also have wood around the CD player, which looks great.

That being said, I sometimes wish I had a later model, so the OnStar guidance would work better (essentially useless on '06 and earlier). So, my take on this choice is: go with an '06 or later model. Everyone on this forum will second Rod's recommendation to really check out the driver's side trunk storage compartment. If there is any evidence of water having accumulated there, RUN Forest, RUN! :chuckle

Tim

I also have an '06 & also am in the dumb luck department as I hadn't discovered this forum before I got it!

See if you can pull the service records on anything you're considering - as Al mentioned, you may see a lot of major looking things taken care of early on, but if they stay gone don't worry about it. It seems often the first owner ends up getting everything fixed up for later owners.

I also think I've run across info on here that the '04 & '05 have a different computer module for top operation than later models. Something to keep in mind as that adds another layer of rarity & possible difficulty in finding parts.

Headed to Tennessee

Well guys I'm headed to Tennessee tomorrow to check out a silver 2006, 35,000 miles garage kept 2 owner. Asking high end price but sounds extremely nice. It was actually one of the I think the lady said 115 cars that went to Bowling Green last year. Pictures look really nice some taken in Bowling Green.

Is it from a dealership? Because I knew of a lady that had a silver one. She recently sold it but now lives in Paducah

Tennessee XLR

I really believe it is the one on this forum that JROB owns or has owned, I see the same pictures from Bowling Green posted in the add.

Yes jrob sold hers but not sure if it's a 06 or not.

If it's who I think it is then yes it's a very well kept ride.

Glad you found the website,,,

WELCOME to the site Kenny :blinzel:

Just bought a one-owner, low mileage, 2005 XLR. The previous owner said their only problems were the fuel gauge and headlights, and both items were taken care of with new parts.

Top retraction works fine, but I need to see if re-programming has been done yet. Just now reading about water in the trunk area....isn't a concern as a rule for us, as we live in the arid, desert but we are heading to the midwest this summer on a long trip to possible heavy rain areas. Anything I can do to prevent water from entering the area in trunk where the electronics might get damaged? Any suggestions?

The diagrams here should be helpful.
eva3uzys.jpg
na2yvugu.jpg
sypyseqa.jpg
8a2a2ypa.jpg
ana6asym.jpg
be2y6ada.jpg
ny5emy5u.jpg
qyda5eve.jpg
6ehubapy.jpg
3ypu2azy.jpg
Print these or keep these diagrams handy so you can let your dealer see them too. That is if you have any problems. I would also check and recheck the trunk area several times during a heavy down pour. Pull under a covered area or at a gas station. Feel around the trunk area and in both the left and right side cubbies for moisture. I wouldn't spend the money unless you see wear or the weatherstrip around the back window and trunk area is looking really frail or worn. But if you are Leary in any way. Then by all means have it checked. My dealer had my car in 3 x before the problem was fixed. I still go out after a hard rain (if I've been driving or had my car outside) and check it. I'm always walking around my car checking for the littlest things daily/weekly.

On another note. Some people that had the 04-05s that had headlight issues went to the 06 headlight assembly. Because the earlier versions had dis colorization or fogging issues.

Great info,,,

Thanks Hawkeye,,,,,, that info will be very useful

BTW,,,our headlights were changed out last year before we purchased the XLR,,,so hopefully we are fit with the better ones.

Glad to help

Looking forward to meeting you today, Kenny.

Last edited:
Yep! I've been in Ky but, just getting into Nashville. Priscilla AKA Prissy is tucked away in the garage.

Pure Zen... It is my understanding that the top reprograms it's self automatically every time it goes up and down as do the windows on my 06 but, not certain if that's the case for all XLR's.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back