Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Emergency ( manual) top operation

HOMEGAMEROOM

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Light Platinum, President, "Midwest Marauders"
There are a lot of new folks on here, and the weather is getting nicer.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, and it really doesn't seem to happen frequently at all, but please be sure you know how to manually raise your convertible top if you're out and it gets stuck.

There are instructions on how to do it in the manual ( or at http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam...s/01_images/2007_cadillac_xlr_xlrv_owners.pdf) , but please realize that you'll need either the special tool that came with the car or a T-15 torx screwdriver and an 8mm allen wrench.

I hope none of us will ever need them, but it sure is helpful to have them in case you do.

It's also a good idea to take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the process in case you'll ever have to do it. No one wants to learn it "on the fly"!

Happy Top Down Driving!!!

I guess in the same vein of things to know this time of year, get the AC drain hose checked since AC season is coming. I think Cadillac Tech/Bruce posted about this before & said if it gets clogged, the water backup can get into electronics on the passenger side. I may not be perfect on these technical details - but I avoided disaster on this last year when I thought I had a little bit of a musty/mildewy smell coming out of the vents, had it checked, & it was clogged.

There are a lot of new folks on here, and the weather is getting nicer.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, and it really doesn't seem to happen frequently at all, but please be sure you know how to manually raise your convertible top if you're out and it gets stuck.

There are instructions on how to do it in the manual ( or at http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam...s/01_images/2007_cadillac_xlr_xlrv_owners.pdf) , but please realize that you'll need either the special tool that came with the car or a T-15 torx screwdriver and an 8mm allen wrench.

I hope none of us will ever need them, but it sure is helpful to have them in case you do.

It's also a good idea to take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the process in case you'll ever have to do it. No one wants to learn it "on the fly"!

Happy Top Down Driving!!!

I have never tried this either, :dunno: and I have owned the car for two years. Do you have the 'Special Tool' you are speaking of? Post a picture please.

I did make sure my key worked the bumper lock and that all the cable releases do work as intended. Perhaps you or someone could do a demonstration of the emergency/manual top operation at the Homecoming?!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369272519.652504.jpgi think this is the key for the top when you loose power. At least it's the one that came with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Do either of you have a GM part number for that? I did not get one with my car and I guess I should get one.

Thanks guys. Do either of you have a GM part number for that? I did not get one with my car and I guess I should get one.
I didn't get one either, but carry the correct size torx and hex bit. My roof was "freezing" quite a bit when I was last in Bowling Green.

I have the tool in the original pouch, but sorry to say I find no part# on the tool or the pouch.

OMG!!!! I hope I NEVER have to actually do that manual top operation. :willy_nilly: I just read the instructions (section 2 pg 57 in the '09 owners manual) and it looks daunting to say the least. I believe I am familiar with all the locations they spoke of so I think I will take it as far as confirming location of all those spots they speak of tomorrow so I will not feel like I am totally in the dark should a problem arise. :dunno:

Time for me to go to bed so I will say a prayer to the XLR Guardian Angels to watch over me and my power top.....LOL! :angel

For some reason the tool is no longer listed as being available and I don't think they were included in any 2009 models????:dunno: Your best bet is to get and carry a T-15 Torx screwdriver and a 8mm allen wrench.

Ok thanks Cubby, ;) I was wondering what size wrench. I will get right on that.

I am still hoping I never have to do that!

OK, got the tools together, sprayed with WD40, wiped dry and stuck in a zip lock in thepassenger side cubby hole where my mini compressor and tire plug kit is!

May I also note, if you do not have an owners manual in your car this will be virutally impossible to do this without instructions. Owners manuals on this site under the Tech Centre, print those pages (section 2 pg 57 in the 09 book) and tuck them in a zip lock too!

I guess in the same vein of things to know this time of year, get the AC drain hose checked since AC season is coming. I think Cadillac Tech/Bruce posted about this before & said if it gets clogged, the water backup can get into electronics on the passenger side. I may not be perfect on these technical details - but I avoided disaster on this last year when I thought I had a little bit of a musty/mildewy smell coming out of the vents, had it checked, & it was clogged.

That's another great idea. Check the drain tube in your automotive "spring cleaning". It's on the drivers side at the rear of the car, and is meant to drain any water from the well that holds the folding top pump (and other assorted goodies). Just reach under the car and give the tube a squeeze to feel for any debris (sotnes, dead bugs or whatever). You're good to go as long as it's empty!

That's another great idea. Check the drain tube in your automotive "spring cleaning". It's on the drivers side at the rear of the car, and is meant to drain any water from the well that holds the folding top pump (and other assorted goodies). Just reach under the car and give the tube a squeeze to feel for any debris (sotnes, dead bugs or whatever). You're good to go as long as it's empty!

Just as a reminder.... Not all XLRs have a tube in the hole at the bottom of the hydraulic compartment. Mine just has a hole with no tube. I know there are some others that are the same. Don't get alarmed if you have no hose.

Just as a reminder.... Not all XLRs have a tube in the hole at the bottom of the hydraulic compartment. Mine just has a hole with no tube. I know there are some others that are the same. Don't get alarmed if you have no hose.

I cut the tube out of Amy's XLR and mine too. :naughty:

Like Fred, my car does not have a tube. I am wondering if they got rid of the tube in 08 + 09's as it caused more trouble with clogging than just having the hole. :( I check the cavity regularly, it is always bone dry and I do drive my car in the rain now and again.

For some reason the tool is no longer listed as being available and I don't think they were included in any 2009 models????:dunno: Your best bet is to get and carry a T-15 Torx screwdriver and a 8mm allen wrench.

Gmpartsdirect discontinued the wrench but they sent the part number to me anyway.

Part #10342359

It is listed on NEWGMPARTS.COM
GM Parts - Genuine Replacement GM Parts - New GM Parts

Shipping cost more than the part. :dunno:

This little bit of maintenance got lost in the trunk drain plug check, but I would like to re emphasize the point. This little bugger is hard to find the first time. And having dealt with a clogged one, its extremely important for AC users (I usually don't, much to PJ's chagrin). Now I have the Super Chiller and the AC is run almost all the time, so I check it often after my first incident. :banghead:

This little bit of maintenance got lost in the trunk drain plug check, but I would like to re emphasize the point. This little bugger is hard to find the first time. And having dealt with a clogged one, its extremely important for AC users (I usually don't, much to PJ's chagrin). Now I have the Super Chiller and the AC is run almost all the time, so I check it often after my first incident. :banghead:

I agree, this is very important. If you don't see a puddle of water (not oil :chuckle) under the car on the ground on a warm day, you probably need to get it check real soon. I usually listen for the sizzling sound from the condensation dripping on the exhaust. :mad::mad:

I doubt they will be able to supply it, it hasn't been available for a few years now. You can probably go to your local auto parts store and get the two tools needed cheaper anyway.

Gmpartsdirect discontinued the wrench but they sent the part number to me anyway.

Part #10342359

It is listed on NEWGMPARTS.COM
GM Parts - Genuine Replacement GM Parts - New GM Parts

Shipping cost more than the part. :dunno:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics