Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

End of an Era

Knowing the area you live (Spring Hill) where the DWD (dead while driving) :(are on the road but don't know it, I'm not the least surprised.
I know the turmoil you went through letting your first one go, buying the Vet, then returning to the V again so I offer my condolences.

Thanks Bobbbbo,

Thanks for your thoughts, now I won't have that type of decision to make anymore, at least when it involves an XLR.

did the bags deploy?

Yes, but only the one in the steering column. First time I ever had that happen, and I didn't realize it deployed until I noticed all the powder floating around.

Yes, but only the one in the steering column. First time I ever had that happen, and I didn't realize it deployed until I noticed all the powder floating around.

Was the passenger side possibly turned off "CHILD SAFETY" there's a key insert slot Air Bag On/Off that does this in the right side of glovebox?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Was the passenger side possibly turned off "CHILD SAFETY" there's a key insert slot Air Bag On/Off that does this in the right side of glovebox?

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

I was alone in the car, so I suppose the right air bag was disabled. The driver's seat bag didn't deploy, I suppose it sensed a "forward hit" and it thought it wasn't necessary--I suppose it thought that, who knows. I did spin about 270 deg., it possibly it should have deployed, but thankfully, it may have been correct as I don't think I hit my head. I spun counterclockwise.

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Dan -- I don't think '06 & forward have an air bag on/off switch. They have "smart" air bags that are supposed to sense if there's a passenger & then turn the air bag on. My '06 doesn't have a switch but has an extra light on the rear view mirror that tells you if the passenger air bag is off or on. No passenger = light is lit "off."

Wish I had either option in my '04 CTS when someone pulled out in front of me -- no one in passenger seat but both air bags went off and absolutely destroyed the dash and shattered the windshield (otherwise I would have just needed a new bumper & a couple dents fixed in the hood).

That's very odd because like I mention the detection of a child would show as passenger in the seat the key switch was the reason of turning off not have on when a child or car seat was there!

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

That's very odd because like I mention the detection of a child would show as passenger in the seat the key switch was the reason of turning off not have on when a child or car seat was there!

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

"Smart" air bags are just that, smart. They determine by weight whether it's a child or an adult and hence, whether to turn on or stay turned off. Not sure what the weight parameters are, but if a child or child seat is in the passenger seat, the passenger air bag does, in fact, stay off.

'04 & '05 are the years of XLRs that had the switch on the console to shut off the passenger side air bag.

Floyd,

I am very sorry to hear about this. I am glad that you are okay. Take care and enjoy life.

XLR-V

Sorry for your loss.....what do you plan to do with her? Do you have plans to part it out?

Sorry for your loss.....what do you plan to do with her? Do you have plans to part it out?

Thanks, but she was totaled, and was hauled off to a junkyard somewhere in Ocala, FL. Maybe Travolta will pick her up!!! :)

bringing them back

I was asking because I am having a blast putting mine back together and looking for another as I am working with a guy here in San Antonio and we have a plan on putting together a wide body(5 inches front and rear) and are looking.

OMG; What a POS

When I saw THIS POS, I couldn't help but think of your situation. Your car was gorgeous, and clearly loved, until totalled; the one I just saw parked outside the Palm Desert Lowes is evidently not receiving any love at all, but it's still being driven. The irony is palpable.

This '04 was the worst I've ever seen. The interior is filthy, with holes and stains all over it. The outside hasn't been washed in at least a decade of sand storms, and the paint is actually rubbed off in places. The right front fender is broken (!) under the passenger door. 1114131544.jpg
It made me ill to see it. :pukeface:

I will NEVER understand how anyone could let such a gorgeous automobile get in such condition. I'm gonna go have a beer, and try to forget this travesty.

:drink:

Tim

Thanks, but she was totaled, and was hauled off to a junkyard somewhere in Ocala, FL. Maybe Travolta will pick her up!!! :)

When I saw THIS POS, I couldn't help but think of your situation. Your car was gorgeous, and clearly loved, until totalled; the one I just saw parked outside the Palm Desert Lowes is evidently not receiving any love at all, but it's still being driven. The irony is palpable.

This '04 was the worst I've ever seen. The interior is filthy, with holes and stains all over it. The outside hasn't been washed in at least a decade of sand storms, and the paint is actually rubbed off in places. The right front fender is broken (!) under the passenger door. View attachment 3515
It made me ill to see it. :pukeface:

I will NEVER understand how anyone could let such a gorgeous automobile get in such condition. I'm gonna go have a beer, and try to forget this travesty.

:drink:

Tim

I'm glad you didn't see this one then: https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/threads/4220-Daily-Chat?p=42022&highlight=Hood#post42022. Picture doesn't show the true extent of the PAINTER'S TAPE used in place of a complete hood. Horrible!

I later found out this was supposed to be a Neiman Marcus edition ... Just appalling. Please don't bother to get a car like this if you're not even going to pretend to take care of it!

Newman Marcus

I would have waited for the guy to come out and offered him $5,000 grand and one of you gear heads could have bought it from me to have fun with, especially you Rod. Hope you are feeling better and will enjoy the holidays. Know that I think about it, a car like that is usually stolen.:mad:
Bobo

travesty

reminds me of the mothers wax commercial where the Viking takes a CTS and tells the owner "you don't deserve this car" LOL
I would have waited for the guy to come out and offered him $5,000 grand and one of you gear heads could have bought it from me to have fun with, especially you Rod. Hope you are feeling better and will enjoy the holidays. Know that I think about it, a car like that is usually stolen.:mad:
Bobo

I'm glad you didn't see this one then: https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/threads/4220-Daily-Chat?p=42022&highlight=Hood#post42022. Picture doesn't show the true extent of the PAINTER'S TAPE used in place of a complete hood. Horrible!

I later found out this was supposed to be a Neiman Marcus edition ... Just appalling. Please don't bother to get a car like this if you're not even going to pretend to take care of it!

This was the picture XLRATING was referring to......:( :( :( :(

XLR Taped Hood.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry