Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Field Trip 2011?

I haven't been to either place. Either state sounds good to me.

We will be making visits in both states on our trip. I think we will make a stop in Asheville on the way down and visit the Biltmore Estate again for those that are interested...Kathy & I are are always interested.:)

We will be making visits in both states on our trip. I think we will make a stop in Asheville on the way down and visit the Biltmore Estate again for those that are interested...Kathy & I are are always interested.:)

I liked Biltmore. I know we didn't get to see everything the first time we were there.

Charleston

Jean and I are looking forward to meeting with our fellow XLR forum members. Both South Carolina and North Carolina are great locations for us. :wave:

Early ideas

Here is what I'm thinking about for our trip...Date TBA later;

Saturday, caravan down to Asheville,NC.

Sunday, tour Biltmore Estate & grounds.

Monday, drive down to Charleston,SC.

Tuesday thru Friday, seeing the sights in Charleston, visit the plantations, Patriot's Point, Fort Sumter & SC Aquarium. We could even take a drive down to Beaufort, Hilton Head or Savannah,GA. for the day.

Saturday, head for home.

Everyone is welcome and can join up with the group anywhere along the way.

I have been looking at taking a flight out of Edmonton and renting a car. I have been trying to find a reasonable priced flight/airport. Seems most flights are connectors. One I looked at left Edmonton, to Denver and then into Charleston. Which airports/ cities should I try to avoid? However if I knew which route/ major cities you were going past, I might be able to tag up with some of you along the way. The thing I'm worried about is getting out of major centers, without nav, I'm sure I would wind up on the wrong freeway, and yes Rich, going the wrong way. Ok even with nav.

Anymore I think all you are going to find is flights that connect. You can hardly find any direct flights. That has been my experience. Don't worry if you get lost Cubby is pretty good with directions. I do hope you and Thirsty 4 will make it.

I have been looking at taking a flight out of Edmonton and renting a car. I have been trying to find a reasonable priced flight/airport. Seems most flights are connectors. One I looked at left Edmonton, to Denver and then into Charleston. Which airports/ cities should I try to avoid? However if I knew which route/ major cities you were going past, I might be able to tag up with some of you along the way. The thing I'm worried about is getting out of major centers, without nav, I'm sure I would wind up on the wrong freeway, and yes Rich, going the wrong way. Ok even with nav.

I guess it would depend upon how much you want to drive. You could fly into Chicago, Indianapolis, Cincinnati OH, Knoxville TN, or Charlotte NC & meet up with the group & caravan to Charleston.

I sure hope you can join us...it would be great to see you and June again.

Flight options

Your best chance at a direct or near-to-direct flight might be into Charlotte. From Charlotte it is a 2 hour drive to Asheville. It is a 3.5 hour drive to Charleston.

If wanting to visit the Biltmore House, you might try Asheville. I would NOT recommend any destination in Tenn, because the return drive from Charleston would be somewhat long.

If only planning on the Charleston portion, try Charleston, Columbia SC or Charlotte.

Your best overall option is Charlotte. Centrally located and the most direct flights.

If you don't mind a new member's comments, I think your Ashville/Charleston itinerary is perfect. Biltmore is well worth the visit. My wife and I were last there doing full azalea bloom and it was spectacular. Strolled the grounds, sipped some vino at the winery, and just had a Brideshead moment. As to Charleston, I use to go often for the Spoleto Arts festival (just not the same since its founder died). Some of my most memorable vacations.

Regards,

Racingintherain

If you don't mind a new member's comments, I think your Ashville/Charleston itinerary is perfect. Biltmore is well worth the visit. My wife and I were last there doing full azalea bloom and it was spectacular. Strolled the grounds, sipped some vino at the winery, and just had a Brideshead moment. As to Charleston, I use to go often for the Spoleto Arts festival (just not the same since its founder died). Some of my most memorable vacations.

Regards,

Racingintherain

Thanks for your input. We have enjoyed our visits to both places and look forward to our visit next year.

Event dates; April 9-17 2011

We have decided on the dates for our trip to Charleston, SC in 2011. They are April 9-17 2011. I hope many of you can join us. Saturday April 9 will be our travel day to Asheville, NC where we will stay atleast 2 nights before heading on down to Charleston, SC for the rest of the week. We will leave for home on either Saturday the 16th or Sunday the 17th.

I will start another thread with just trip information so people can find it easily. If you have any information or ideas you can post them here.:wave:

Early April will mean if we are to go we will have to fly, ran into snow at the end of May of this year, so who knows what April would have in store.
Any idea about where you will be staying in SC? It is good to see some dates, now I can really nail down prices.So you will be in SC from Monday to Saturday or Sundayy then.

April will allow us to miss the heat in Charleston and the tulips will be in bloom @ the Biltmore Estate's 5 acre walled tulip garden.
Kathy has been looking @ hotels and has found a Hampton Inn in Mt. Pleasant that is affordable. I will post the info soon. We would really like to stay in Charleston's historic district (the hotels are just awesome), but those hotels are out of our price range.

As of right now we plan to arrive in Charleston on Monday and leave for home on either Saturday or Sunday.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom