Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Field Trip 2011?

My pick is Lebanon, KS---The geographic center of the contiguous (lower) 48 states is about four miles west of Lebanon, Kansas. :chuckle:chuckle

I thought your husband said that a destination for a gathering next year had not been selected yet, maybe I am missing something.

Since the membership of this forum is made up of people from all over the United States, Canada, Germany and a couple of other countries that might like to have a get together once a year where the majority of the members could attend I think we need to have a thread listing the choices and see how many people vote on where they would like to meet up. Then it could be decided on where to have an annual gathering. I don't think it is up to one or two people to decided for the entire forum.

As Kathy pointed out, we will hopefully be visiting that part of the country next year. If anyone else would like to join us, that would be great. No one is forcing anybody to attend.
We have enjoyed the friendships we have made over the years and look forward to spending time with you guys in the future. If anyone has the desire to put an event together, I hope they pursue it. There are some wonderful places to visit and it's always more fun with a group.

I'm not deciding for the entire forum, nor is Bruce. I'm only speaking for Bruce and I when I say "we". Due to Bruce's job change this past winter, he has less vacation time now. (We had already planned our trip to CO before he changed jobs). So we (Bruce & I) will stay closer to the Midwest and this side of the country. You are right; the XLR Net is made up of many people from all over the United States & beyond. I would encourage all XLR owners (wherever they are located) to think about and plan a get together or event...big or small. You have a couple of good suggestions; you should pursue those.

I agree.
I don't think there are 1 or 2 people are trying to decide for the "forum group". I took this thread as here is what we (Bruce & Kathy) plan on doing for next year who would like to join us.
I for one would like to go to Charleston. I haven't been there. It seems like there is a few other forum members that are interest in Charleston.

It is a lot of WORK to plan a personal vacation, much less one that includes several other people. I think it's pretty darn generous that B&K have even invited other people to join them on theirs. Those day-outings, dinners, parking lot meet-ups, etc. don't "just happen." I know that a few of the couples spend a lot of time scheduling and researching destinations so that it is convenient for other people to join them if they so desire. It is THEIR personal vacation time. Both of them work, they do not have the luxury of planning several long term, long distance vacations. When we join up with them I am always aware that it was not me that made it happen ....
We were really lucky to be a part of automotive history when we did the Bowling Green trips in '07 & '08 with Cadillac's involvement, and the enourous amount of planning done by Jean & Jim, et al. Now, because of those wonderful events, a core of enthusiasts, and better yet, a strong core of friendships have developed, and we are even more fortunate that someone takes on the on-going strategic planning of an event that we all MAY or MAY NOT attend at our descretion. If it does not meet our criteria, well, then, like it has been suggested, then we need to plan something else, or a trip somewhere else - Because Charleston is not doable for us by my own choosing (too many days on the road for ME) ... we have the option of flying in ... and who knows .... maybe we will.
Likewise, we may plan to do something else .... like taking a cruise .... and I think it would be awesome if any of my XLR friends would like to do the same and enjoy having some friends on board the same ship - have dinner with .... take day trips with .... party with in the evenings ... :party.... maybe even have SOMEONE bring their guitar and enjoy a starry night singing under the stars.

If there is a committee that wants to form from this forum, and take on planning an XLR destination - that would be great. Then a more central location could be picked - But SOMEONE would need to be willing to take that on - several people in fact - and since I'm a follower and not much of a leader I would have to be up-front and say that I would not be willing to volunteer.
So .... it is not 'sour grapes' on my end ..... IF we were not quite so far away, we would definetly be joining the group going to Charleston. I know already that trip is going to be well-attended - lot's of interest already building ....
I say ... have a great time .... like always, I travel with you, wherever you go, in spirt if not in person! :wave:

Very well stated RuthAnn. You do have a way with words. :worship:

Charleston,SC info

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/where_to_stay~1/hotels~5/

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/what_to_see_do~3/attractions~31/

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/what_to_see_do~3/attractions~31/

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/where_to_dine~2/

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/what_to_see_do~3/charleston_beaches~119/

Charleston has a lot to see & do. Beautiful homes & plantations to visit that are just awesome. There is so much history in the area with places like Fort Sumter, Middleton Place, Fort Moultrie & the Battery to name a few. The South Carolina Aquarium is one of the finest in the Country.:)

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/where_to_stay~1/hotels~5/

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/where_to_dine~2/

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/what_to_see_do~3/charleston_beaches~119/

Charleston has a lot to see & do. Beautiful homes & plantations to visit that are just awesome. There is so much history in the area with places like Fort Sumter, Middleton Place, Fort Moultrie & the Battery to name a few. The South Carolina Aquarium is one of the finest in the Country.:)

Thanks for the info, Bruce. For me, joining you guys all hinges on the dates. I was actually thinking about flying my wife and other son down to Charleston, when we are there, so they can meet the wonderful people I've met on this forum - and to make a true "family" vacation too. Hope we can work it out. :wave:

Picture from Charleston

I was in Charleston this past week on business and shot this picture of the new Cooper River Bridge.

DSC00273.jpg

new bridge

Very nice picture. It's nice to see the new bridge, the old one was kinda scary,very narrow.

Your knowledge of the area will be very helpful as we start making plans.:)

Thanks for the info, Bruce. For me, joining you guys all hinges on the dates. I was actually thinking about flying my wife and other son down to Charleston, when we are there, so they can meet the wonderful people I've met on this forum - and to make a true "family" vacation too. Hope we can work it out. :wave:

We have a few dates in mind, we will let you know when we make a decision.:)

Cooper River Bridges

For those who don't know, the picture I posted shows the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge. It was completed in 2005 and has a total length of 13,200 feet (4 km) and it's longest span is 1,546 feet. It's vertical clearance is 186 feet and the towers top out at 575 feet.

It replaced two older bridges, the Grace Memorial Bridge that was opened in 1929 and the Silas Pearman Bridge that was opened in 1966. These are the bridges that Cadillac Tech is referring to as being somewhat scary.

Here is artist Jim Booth's rendering of the two older bridges that were demolished after the completion of the Arthur Ravenel, Jr. Bridge. I have a large framed copy of this painting hanging in my office as a wonderful reminder of the city in which I grew up!

The-Bridges.jpg

The Grace Memorial Bridge is on the left, the Silas Pearman Bridge on the right.

The new Arthur Ravenel, Jr. Bridge has eight 12-foot wide lanes as well as a 12-foot wide pedestrian and bicycle lane on the south side of the bridge, which is very popular.

The new bridge provide a wonderful opportunity for sightseeing for the passenger in an XLR!

Charleston is a great idea. It was on our itinerary for our trip to the East coast last year, but we had to cut it short when our XLR broke down in Kansas and we had to complete the trip in a rent car. We would make it our primary destination this time. Let us know when you have more details. Thanks Bruce for suggesting this idea.

Diane mentioned that we missed Savannah was on our trip last year so that would make a good second stop for us.

That would be great Chicago Dave. Question are you sure you want your wife to meet the MMs? She may change her mind about letting Devin hang out with us anymore. Just kidding. :chuckle:chuckle:wave:

Over the weekend I received a travel book on Charleston, SC. Lots of things to see & do!
I also received a book on North Carolina...another great destination.

Over the weekend I received a travel book on Charleston, SC. Lots of things to see & do!
I also received a book on North Carolina...another great destination.

I haven't been to either place. Either state sounds good to me.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom