Votes: 3 15.0%
  • High Octane

Votes: 17 85.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

durkin

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Silver XLR
The manual says that the XLR engine was designed for premium (high octane) fuel, but it is not required. What grade of fuel do we feed our babies?

Here's the thing: I voted premium because that is the fuel that we run when we are on the road. Although..... as my dd I have been putting regular in it ... however, the last week I have noticest that the car was sort of ummmm, hesitating, but not really hesitating, just sort of a different feel to the start-up. So - it was time to fill, felt like Lola needed an octane boost, and sure enough, now she feels just fine. I think the engine really does need the premium. As much as I hate to pay the oil companies an additional $5 a tank, I think it's the better recommendation.

We use high octane in Scarlette V. I have found when they suggest high octane and I don't use I get a knock and it hesitates also. JMO.

Fuel

I've driven my XLR-V about 14,000 miles over the past year. At 20 cents per gallon, I figured it cost me an extra $139 to use premium. When you consider that I am getting the best performance (bang for my buck) as well as the best care of the engine (investment insurance) it was well worth it. I believe in value, but there are some things like gasoline, oil, tires, and brakes that are just no-brainers to me.

We were told (at BGIII, I think) from the XLR engineers that the base models are okay with regular unleaded (though 91 or better is preferred), but the V series do require 91 octane or better due to the different compression ratio in the supercharged engine.

I confess that I have used both octanes at different times (in my base XLR), but I do normally use 93 octane, especially if I'm on a trip.

PS. I voted for the high octane because thas what she usually gets.

We were told (at BGIII, I think) from the XLR engineers that the base models are okay with regular unleaded (though 91 or better is preferred), but the V series do require 91 octane or better due to the different compression ratio in the supercharged engine.

I confess that I have used both octanes at different times (in my base XLR), but I do normally use 93 octane, especially if I'm on a trip.

Uh-huh ---- this was a pretty lengthy discussion there .... and I believe on another forum a couple of years ago. I think all of us were rather surprised to hear them tell us it was fine to run the lower octane. And probably it is - it' just that sort of "somethin' " was just not right there - and it's had about 4 tank fills since the last time she stretched her legs .....

So anyway - I still think the higher octane is the better choice.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it .... lol

I don't doubt your story for a minute, RA. Ohio does NOT inspect octanes on fuel (only volumes), and I've gotten some pretty crappy loads of gas!!

I usually stick to Shell gasoline whin I'm in-state; they seem consistently good. BP in Ohio?!? Only if you reallllly don't care what you get (they have a terrible reputation!)!!! I'm not as picky when I'm on the road, though I will pick a Shell station when given the opportunity.

I don't doubt your story for a minute, RA. Ohio does NOT inspect octanes on fuel (only volumes), and I've gotten some pretty crappy loads of gas!!

I usually stick to Shell gasoline whin I'm in-state; they seem consistently good. BP in Ohio?!? Only if you reallllly don't care what you get (they have a terrible reputation!)!!! I'm not as picky when I'm on the road, though I will pick a Shell station when given the opportunity.
For us it's Chevron (Standard) .... or Mobil....
Arco in a pinch. Going across the Southwest, it's the closest restroom! :rolleyes:

I run 91 octane in the XLR. I thought I heard (or read somewhere) the engine would basically "tune" itself to lower octane, meaning adjusting out timing (and performance) to eliminate knock.
We can't get 93 octane in CA, or I would probably run that. I am a big fan of Chevron with Techron for keeping the fuel injectors clean, but noticed in teh Corvette it pings a little quicker than when using Shell, so those are my two choices.
Bruce

Techron is a good idea for any car. We use it in all three of them about every six months.

Floyd (BB)

Speaking of Techron, here's an OLD bulletin from GM on detergent gasoline. PLEASE REMEMBER: this document is 5 years old, so some things may have changed in the world since then!

Info - Top Tier Detergent Gasoline (Deposits, Fuel Economy, No Start, Power, Performance, Stall Concerns) #04-06-04-047A - (Aug 31, 2004)

Top Tier Detergent Gasoline (Deposits, Fuel Economy, No Start, Power, Performance, Stall Concerns)
2005 and Prior All General Motors Passenger Cars and Trucks (U.S. Only)
2003-2005 HUMMER H2
This bulletin is being revised to identify the gasoline brands that currently meet the Top Tier Detergent Gasoline Standards. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-047 (Section 06 - Engine).
A new class of gasoline, called Top Tier Detergent Gasoline, will be appearing at retail stations of some fuel marketers. This gasoline meets detergency standards developed by four automotive companies. A description of the concept and benefits of Top Tier is provided in the following question and answer section.
What is Top Tier Detergent Gasoline?
Top Tier Detergent Gasoline is a new class of gasoline with enhanced detergency. It meets new, voluntary deposit control standards developed by four automotive companies that exceed the detergent requirements imposed by the EPA.
Who developed Top Tier Detergent Gasoline standards?
Top Tier Detergent Gasoline standards were developed by four automotive companies: BMW, General Motors, Honda and Toyota.
Why was Top Tier Detergent Gasoline developed?
Top Tier Detergent Gasoline was developed to increase the level of detergent additive in gasoline. The EPA requires that all gasoline sold in the U.S. contain a detergent additive. However, the requirement is minimal and in many cases, is not sufficient to keep engines clean. In order to meet Top Tier Detergent Gasoline standards, a higher level of detergent is needed than what is required by the EPA. Also, Top Tier was developed to give fuel marketers the opportunity to differentiate their product.
Why did the four automotive companies join together to develop Top Tier?
All four corporations recognized the benefits to both the vehicle and the consumer. Also, joining together emphasized that low detergency is an issue of concern to several automotive companies.
What are the benefits of Top Tier Detergent Gasoline?
Top Tier Detergent Gasoline will help keep engines cleaner than gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Clean engines help provide optimal fuel economy and performance and reduced emissions. Also, use of Top Tier Detergent Gasoline will help reduce deposit related concerns.
Who should use Top Tier Detergent Gasoline?
All vehicles will benefit from using Top Tier Detergent Gasoline over gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Those vehicles that have experienced deposit related concerns may especially benefit from use of Top Tier Detergent Gasoline.
Where can Top Tier Detergent Gasoline be purchased?
The Top Tier program began on May 3, 2004. Some fuel marketers have already joined and have introduced Top Tier Detergent Gasoline. This is a voluntary program and not all fuel marketers will offer this product. Once fuel marketers make public announcements, they will appear on a list of brands that meet the Top Tier standards.
Gasoline Brands That Currently Meet Top Tier Detergent Gasoline Standards
As of August 15, 2004, the following gasoline brands meet the Top Tier Detergent Gasoline Standards:
  • Chevron Chevron has markets in 29 states in the West, Southwest and South, as well as in Alaska and Hawaii. ALL grades of Chevron with Techron gasoline meet Top Tier Detergent Gasoline Standards.
  • QuikTrip (not to be confused with Kwik Trip) QuikTrip operates convenience stores and travel centers in a number of metropolitan areas:
    • Tulsa, OK
    • Springfield, MO
    • Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS
    • Wichita, KS
    • Des Moines, IA
    • Omaha, NE
    • St. Louis, MO and St. Louis, IL
    • Atlanta, GA
    • Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • Bartlesville, OK
    • Miami, OK
    • Vinita, OK
    • Columbia, MO
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
TifToGif
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

I didn't even know there was a Top Tier gas 48 hours ago and look at me now! Here's an interesting website I found - www.toptiergas.com . Here's their updated list of retailers (obviously from their website):

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers
Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.
In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.
Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.
TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Road Ranger
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada

Personal Experience

The manual says regular is OK in the XLR 4.6L V8, but only use premium in the XLR-V 4.4L V8. I tried the premium for the first few tanks. Then I switched to regular. I could not tell any difference. It is still a screeming machine. I know this is anecdotal evidence, not a ridged test, so there may have been a small reduction in pickup that I did not notice.

In my last car, an Acura 2.3 CL Sports version, Acura recommend high test but said it would run on regular. When I tested it with both types of gas, there was a clear reduction in performance with regular, very, very noticeable. With the XLR any reduction was not noticeable to me.

Sli1
2008 XLR, Platum on Ebony, 3K mi, upgrade grill and chrome wheels, Cadi windscreen and WindRestrictor.

Surprisingly, with all the stations they have throughout the country--Speedway isn't on the list. (There are three within a 1/2 mile of one another up by my office.) I only use them for my work vehicles; the V gets Shell premium.

Hess? I thought they went out of business a few years ago...

My brother-in-law used to collect their model trucks - issued around the holidays. Do you know if they still make them?

Hess is still very big in at least NJ & FL. Yes, the trucks are still made every Christmas. My bro-in-law has every one of them from when they started in 1963 up to the latest last Christmas.

They usually have the best price also, although no Techron.

Floyd (BB)

I use Quik Trip the most followed by Chevron and Shell. Amazing thing is in Phoenix, Quik Trip is priced at or below the discounters like ARCO and Velero. Nicer convenience stores too :blinzel:

I generally go with Premuim unless on a road trip where I know I won't be pushing it hard and the mark up for premium looks unreasonable.

I always was a Texaco customer, then Shell. I always used the highest octane I could get until my 2003 DHS, then I used the medium grade. I stopped using Shell and went to Phillips 66 because their gas is a product of the USA, not imported. Once in a while on long trips I use premium in the XLR but see no differance in performance. I think I get better mpg when I put in the higher octane.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom