Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Greed, not unions, brought GM down

And how should that be taken BOB? :confused: Are you just trying to cause more trouble or just being your funny self? Maybe you should re-read your quotes before you submit them. Not nice!:mad:
Boy, we sure are nit picking. Which witch are you referring too :)

And how should that be taken BOB? :confused: Are you just trying to cause more trouble or just being your funny self? Maybe you should re-read your quotes before you submit them. Not nice!:mad:
I agree. :mad: Not nice at all. Tired of the ladies being called nasty names. :(

This thread seems to have gotten a little off topic. So I'm trying to figure out where the train jumped onto a new track, and I come across this:

Boy, we sure are nit picking. Which witch are you referring too :)

I seem to recall a Terms of Service agreement I had to agree to accept when I joined this forum, and I'm quite sure there was something in there about personal attacks not being permitted.

Good grief ladies I wasn't referring to any ladies as witches. It all had to do with everyone getting a laugh out of the way I spelled Witchcraft. I can't spell check from my IPhone which is why I made an error in spelling Witchcraft.
People have gotten awful sensitive since SA. I wonder why?:pat:
I agree. :mad: Not nice at all. Tired of the ladies being called nasty names. :(

This thread seems to have gotten a little off topic.

WOW!!! This thread was about greed bringing down a company, (maybe). Look back,,, only the first seven posts are about that. There are 26 posts, so far, on this thread. I'd say someone, (some people), got off beat somewhere.

Rob, might as well change the title and move it to the off topic section!

I'm glad someone got it right. It was in fact greed and not the UAW that that brought down GM.Some people don't seem to understand that the UAW has a contract with GM, it(UAW) doesn't run the company.:patriot:

The UAW kept asking for and getting more and more benefits which in my humble opinion does amount to greed and that is a big part of the problem. The American car companies are not able to keep the price of the vehicles they produce down to compete with the foriegn companies. The true downfall of the auto industry is the fact the housing market took a hugh turndown, the banks had to be bailed out, the insurance companies had to be bailed out, the mortgage companies had to be bailed out. The bailouts were the solution the government came up with but then they wanted the auto companies to file bankruptcy. They should had let the banks, insurance companies and motrgage companies file bankruptcy and maybe our country wouln't be so indebted to all the foriegn countries buying up our debt which it will take many generations to come to pay off. If they had kept their nose out of private interprise as our Constitution calls for maybe our country wouldn't be in such a hugh financial mess today. :mad::mad::mad:

Let's hear an AMEN!!!!!!!!!

Floyd

The UAW kept asking for and getting more and more benefits which in my humble opinion does amount to greed and that is a big part of the problem. The American car companies are not able to keep the price of the vehicles they produce down to compete with the foriegn companies. The true downfall of the auto industry is the fact the housing market took a hugh turndown, the banks had to be bailed out, the insurance companies had to be bailed out, the mortgage companies had to be bailed out. The bailouts were the solution the government came up with but then they wanted the auto companies to file bankruptcy. They should had let the banks, insurance companies and motrgage companies file bankruptcy and maybe our country wouln't be so indebted to all the foriegn countries buying up our debt which it will take many generations to come to pay off. If they had kept their nose out of private interprise as our Constitution calls for maybe our country wouldn't be in such a hugh financial mess today. :mad::mad::mad:
Everyone keeps saying the UAW kept asking for more and more but you know the companies are the ones that agreed to the demands. They call them negiotiations for a reasons. I guess some of us will just have to agree to disagree. :D

Yes, that is certainly true. . .but, what would the union have done if their demands were not met? Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.

Floyd

Yes, that is certainly true. . .but, what would the union have done if their demands were not met? Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.

Floyd
They would have went on strike and then the companies hire in scabs. The problem is we are having a global economic problem. People can't pay their house payments and bills right now so cars aren't going to sell. The car industry is feeling the pain just like any other business today it is just the opportunity to blame the Unions and try and bust them. JMHO. No one is having a problem with the banks and other bail out guys getting big bonuses. :willy_nilly:

It appears to me there are a lot of people having a problem with the bail out of the banks, insurance companies, mortgage brokers and so forth as the ratings for Mr. President are dropping pretty fast. The TARP funds are not being accounted for and are not being fully distributed. As I said above, they should never have started any bailouts, they should have let all the blundering idiots file for bankruptcy and been done with it and maybe our automotive industry would not have been in so much trouble. I thought a few Senators opened their eyes and realized all of what they have been doing is strictly unconstitutional and were going to protest but it just got pushed aside or someone bought them off. People better wake up and get rid of ACORN and the Chicago Machine. ACORN is still re-cruiting and gearing up for pushing national health care to be passed. If we are to save this country then we all need to get to work and not put it off until tomorrow.
I agree these companies with their hands out needed to go under, only the strong will survive. I totally disagree with national health care. Don't this we already provide health care to people who can't afford it isn't it called Medicaid? The government is now going to start taxing employees that get health care provided by their employers as a bonus. :pat: National health care has not worked in the countries that have it. I even heard this weekend that they are worried about the twenty somethings that don't feel a need for health care. What ever happen to personal responsibility? We have lost that in this country. :patriot:

It Was greed, but not on the union's part.

:patriot:Like I said, SOME PEOPLE DON"T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND; the union does not run the company,they do not make operating decisions,they do not make marketing decisions. The same members of management who led GM into bankruptcy made those decisions. It is widely agreed that GM's expense for labor is about 10% of expense per car produced. I believe the other 90%
was the sole decisions of management.GM was not any less entitled to a bailout than the crooks on wall street that deserve a cell right next to Bernie Madoff. I personally believe all of them should have been allowed to fail and the greedy manipulators sent to prison.

:patriot:Like I said, SOME PEOPLE DON"T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND; the union does not run the company,they do not make operating decisions,they do not make marketing decisions. The same members of management who led GM into bankruptcy made those decisions. It is widely agreed that GM's expense for labor is about 10% of expense per car produced. I believe the other 90%
was the sole decisions of management.GM was not any less entitled to a bailout than the crooks on wall street that deserve a cell right next to Bernie Madoff. I personally believe all of them should have been allowed to fail and the greedy manipulators sent to prison.
:patriot:I agree with you. This subject is very close to my heart. My father worked for Ford Motor Company for 30 some years, and my brother in law is still there to this day. My dad was involved in the union holding various positions for a majority of his time with Ford. From being a committee man to vice-president to president of his local. He was president of the local for a long time and he was because he was a fair man and worked with both sides. He went on to go to International and that is where he passed away. I grew up in a union family. Everyone has a right to their opinion but its not fair to say the union brought down an entire option. If the union was so greedy, as they have been accussed of being, they would not have made any of the changes they have to the contracts. Ford has gotten the same concessions the UAW has made with GM and Chrysler. JMO.:patriot:

This will no doubt upset some but I have had enough of the nonsense concerning GM. The person that is truely responsible for what happen to GM and for that matter all American Car makers was our government. They set them up for the fall they took. It was the greed of the Bankers, Lenders and stockmarket that created this entire mess. However, it was not done without the full support of Washington and are elected officials. They allowed all of it and as far as I am concerned for them not to have bailed these Companies out for what they created would have been insane. Just look at all the non American cars that have come into our country and been allowed to sale there car which all there countries give government subsidies to protect them and then turn around and manipulate there markets where we are unable to sale our cars there. They build there plants here with the help of millions of dollars from the government and recieved hundreds of millions of dollars in tax breaks. Its just recently that our government have allowed South Korea to expand there operations in America. So if we are going to have the blame game lets put this monkey on the right back not try and BS everyone that its the car companies fought or even more crazy try to blame it on the American worker. There wouldnt be Unions if employers dealt fairly with there workers.

Fred:patriot:

This will no doubt upset some but I have had enough of the nonsense concerning GM. The person that is truely responsible for what happen to GM and for that matter all American Car makers was our government. They set them up for the fall they took. It was the greed of the Bankers, Lenders and stockmarket that created this entire mess. However, it was not done without the full support of Washington and are elected officials. They allowed all of it and as far as I am concerned for them not to have bailed these Companies out for what they created would have been insane. Just look at all the non American cars that have come into our country and been allowed to sale there car which all there countries give government subsidies to protect them and then turn around and manipulate there markets where we are unable to sale our cars there. They build there plants here with the help of millions of dollars from the government and recieved hundreds of millions of dollars in tax breaks. Its just recently that our government have allowed South Korea to expand there operations in America. So if we are going to have the blame game lets put this monkey on the right back not try and BS everyone that its the car companies fought or even more crazy try to blame it on the American worker. There wouldnt be Unions if employers dealt fairly with there workers.

Well said, I agree.

Bruce :cool:

INDEED! Very well said! I've always thought we should tax the bejeepers out of anything imported - then we might be able to find an American made TV, clock radio, car, or small (even large!) appliance. How many people would that help employ? Or the tax (on IMPORTED goods only) could help pay the massive unemployment!!!

Very well said Fred and I couldn't agree with you more. :patriot::worship:

INDEED! Very well said! I've always thought we should tax the bejeepers out of anything imported - then we might be able to find an American made TV, clock radio, car, or small (even large!) appliance. How many people would that help employ? Or the tax (on IMPORTED goods only) could help pay the massive unemployment!!!
I agree with you too Homegrown. It has never been a level playing field with the imports. :patriot::worship:

I've always thought we should tax the bejeepers out of anything imported!!!

That tax is called a tariff. And this is a "catch 22" issue. Think of the other side of the coin. If we put a tariff on imported goods,,,, Then the countries that WE import to, put a tariff on goods we import to them and our companies can't import into a global markets competitively. Hence,, jobs could be lost because we can't ship overseas. Look at why GM keep Buick, It's got a huge share market in China. I know, it sounds logical, tax imports, but there's a down side to doing that to.

My $.01's worth, because I'm not worth $.02!!!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom