Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Irregular tread wear OEM Michelin run flats........

XFireXLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Gold Mist Met. XLR
On my last two sets of Michelin OEM run flats both rear tires suffered from irregular tread wear (different tread wear on each tire). The first set I got approximately 9100 miles and 13000 on the second. When I had them replaced Michelin gave me a 50% discount on the replacement and now 60% on the most recent set. The tire tech and Michelin said that the tires should be inflated to 38psi rather than 30psi as indicated on the door sill. The tire tech said that the 30psi rating is what GM recommends for a more comfortable ride, he suspects that is the reason for the irregular tread wear. Unfortunately now I am getting a "high tire pressure" warning in the DIC, has anyone else experience this issue?

Last edited:
P-Zero tires

I run my P-Zeros at 39-40, but anything beyond 41psi the warning light comes on. Granted, the light comes on whenever it's hot outside like 100 degrees. I never run my tires lower than 35 because I'm affraid that will damage the rim should I encounter a pot hole.:mad:

On my last two sets of Michelin OEM run flats both rear tires suffered from irregular tread wear (different tread wear on each tire). The first set I got approximately 9100 miles and 13000 on the second. When I had them replaced Michelin gave me a 50% discount on the replacement and now 60% on the most recent set. The tire tech and Michelin said that the tires should be inflated to 38psi rather than 30psi as indicated on the door sill. The tire tech said that the 30psi rating is what GM recommends for a more comfortable ride, he suspects that is the reason for the irregular tread wear. Unfortunately now I am getting a "high tire pressure" warning in the DIC, has anyone else experience this issue?

Manufacturers set the tire pressure mostly to get the right wear. I say 'mostly' because I seem to recall F*rd suggesting some vehicles run a slightly lower pressure which combined with poor maintenance allowed tires to fail with deadly results and hence the mandated TPM type systems.

If you run pressures that are too high you will lose wet grip, cause rapid wear in the middle of the tread and degrade cornering performance, and suffer a degraded ride quality. I read somewhere there is an limit of 40psi in the TPM system or it might suffer damage.

I would look elsewhere for irregular wear causes. The primary cause of uneven wear is alignment faults, but driving style can also cause uneven wear. Correctly inflated rear (driving) tires will show wear in the middle if subjected to frequent heavy acceleration, this is not a fault.

Manufacturers set the tire pressure mostly to get the right wear. I say 'mostly' because I seem to recall F*rd suggesting some vehicles run a slightly lower pressure which combined with poor maintenance allowed tires to fail with deadly results and hence the mandated TPM type systems.

If you run pressures that are too high you will lose wet grip, cause rapid wear in the middle of the tread and degrade cornering performance, and suffer a degraded ride quality. I read somewhere there is an limit of 40psi in the TPM system or it might suffer damage.

I would look elsewhere for irregular wear causes. The primary cause of uneven wear is alignment faults, but driving style can also cause uneven wear. Correctly inflated rear (driving) tires will show wear in the middle if subjected to frequent heavy acceleration, this is not a fault.

The first thing that was done in both instances was check the alignment both front and rear, which where within spec. I don't chirp the tires or do anything that would induce early tread wear. I drive maybe 50 miles a month approximately. Michelin states the that maximum psi should not exceed 44lbs.

-irregular-tread-wear-oem-michelin-run-flats.html

X fire xlr
x on this set of tires I would try running them at a happy medium between GM s recommendation and Michelin recommendations without putting the sensor warning on. I once bought a set of Michelins off a good friend of mine that had a Michelin franchise. Upon having a problem with one of the tires my friend stated to me that his biggest problem with Michelin was they thought there product was so good the dealer had a hard time getting warranty when it was needed. They do make a good product but maybe not compatible with an XLR.
V Happy:dunno:

Once the tires 'heat up' from driving the pressure will increase. Try running them @ 35psi cold and your TPMS shouldn't give you problems.

The first thing that was done in both instances was check the alignment both front and rear, which where within spec. I don't chirp the tires or do anything that would induce early tread wear. I drive maybe 50 miles a month approximately. Michelin states the that maximum psi should not exceed 44lbs.

That 44lbs is for the tire, not for the car. There are other (lower) max pressures not to exceed. The XLR is over 300 bhp, you don't need to chirp the tyres to get wear in the middle of the rear tires. What irregular wear pattern are you seeing? Also, some wear patterns are caused by frequent patterns of driving, such as always reversing off your drive on lock, this will cause uneven wear, and is normal.

X fire xlr
x on this set of tires I would try running them at a happy medium between GM s recommendation and Michelin recommendations without putting the sensor warning on. I once bought a set of Michelins off a good friend of mine that had a Michelin franchise. Upon having a problem with one of the tires my friend stated to me that his biggest problem with Michelin was they thought there product was so good the dealer had a hard time getting warranty when it was needed. They do make a good product but maybe not compatible with an XLR.
V Happy:dunno:

Michelin recommendation?? Never known a tire mfg. to make application specific inflation recommendations to other than the OEM engineers. Sometimes a dealer will make a suggestion.

Michelin recommendation?? Never known a tire mfg. to make application specific inflation recommendations to other than the OEM engineers. Sometimes a dealer will make a suggestion.

Most tires have a maximum permissible pressure some place on the side wall, I assumed it was that. It is not a pressure suitable for that combination of tire and car, but it must not be exceeded. To require that pressure is also likely to require the tire to be loaded at the maximum loading, also on the side wall.

My view on tire pressures is that if you are in a wreck and end up in court, if you have elected to run pressures that are not those set by Cadillac, you had better be good at defending your decision.

BTW, 50 miles a month is 600 miles a year. At that rate the tires need replacing through old age, ten years is well old, seven is getting to be a bit old.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back