Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Run Flats Tire or Not

05 GRAND DADDY

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR
Well the Michelin's Pilot Super Sports are about wore out.......:(
Now the question is what tire do I replace with this time? I love these Michelin tires, but at $1200 replacement cost for a regular tire (Not Run Flats) that only have 30,000 mile tread life, I've decided to get some of your opinions, as time is short for this decision because the PA State Inspection runs out the end March, so need to do this soon! So shoot me some of your ideas, experiences & thoughts! :wave:

Unless you really drive your car like you stole it, I'm convinced run flats are worth that one time you hit a nail.
Not fun to be stuck by the side of the road.

Dan,
Search threads, but at least a couple of folks here had had good comments about the Bridgestone Driveguards. Since you have 18" wheels on all 4 corners, the Driveguards are worth a look at. You should be able to get them for about $200 each.
I ended up getting Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06's, non run flats last year on my rear pair. Happy with those.

I did a lot of research using TireRack.com. I found the Spider Charts especially helpful. I've pasted a link here. I got ultra performance all weather tires. No issue with noise and fine for the way I drive. Go to the "Full Test Report" when you find click on a specific tire you want to research. It compares the tire you are interested in to the top 3 other tires that are in the same category. I actually wanted the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, but they were on back order. The Continental compared very well on the Tire Rack reviews and my mechanic said that many BMW's and MB's come with them as stock tires. Good luck in your search.
Tire Test Results : Testing the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Ultra High Performance All-Season Tire

Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dan, I'm a Michelin fan, but wanted runflats & went with the Bridgestone Driveguard (had them on for the VB/OBX trip). They seem to do fine to me.

How's the ride and handling and were you running run flats before to compare them to these tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Dan,
Search threads, but at least a couple of folks here had had good comments about the Bridgestone Driveguards. Since you have 18" wheels on all 4 corners, the Driveguards are worth a look at. You should be able to get them for about $200 each.
I ended up getting Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06's, non run flats last year on my rear pair. Happy with those.

I did a lot of research using TireRack.com. I found the Spider Charts especially helpful. I've pasted a link here. I got ultra performance all weather tires. No issue with noise and fine for the way I drive. Go to the "Full Test Report" when you find click on a specific tire you want to research. It compares the tire you are interested in to the top 3 other tires that are in the same category. I actually wanted the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, but they were on back order. The Continental compared very well on the Tire Rack reviews and my mechanic said that many BMW's and MB's come with them as stock tires. Good luck in your search.
Tire Test Results : Testing the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Ultra High Performance All-Season Tire

Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Tim
I'll take a look at that chart!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I ran into another owner at a car show last month, he's running regular Pirellis on his XLR. He wasn't too worried about flats. He said he had a cell phone instead. I didn't remind him of possibly not having run flats or a can of fixaflat.
I can also recommend Tire rack, Com wholeheartedly. Matter of fact I'm going to the warehouse in Shreveport tomorrow to pick up tires for my King Ranch Expedition tomorrow.

I ran into another owner at a car show last month, he's running regular Pirellis on his XLR. He wasn't too worried about flats. He said he had a cell phone instead. I didn't remind him of possibly not having run flats or a can of fixaflat.
I can also recommend Tire rack, Com wholeheartedly. Matter of fact I'm going to the warehouse in Shreveport tomorrow to pick up tires for my King Ranch Expedition tomorrow.

Hey while you're there grab me a 4 set for Roxy! LOL

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

AAA card is a good thing to have!:thumbsup

My Driveguard's ride better than the stock tires that only had 15k miles on them, but those where 10 years old when I bought the car.

I'm guessing it has more to do with 10 years of development in tire tech and old rubber than anything else though.

How's the ride and handling and were you running run flats before to compare them to these tires?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

The tires before weren't run flats, & I don't notice any difference in ride quality. Could be because my daily driver rides really stiff - the XLR feels cushy in comparison! We have the Michelin Super Sports on the XLR-V, I haven't felt any really obvious difference when I drive that instead of mine. The Super Sports might be "stickier," but I at least don't need the same amount of sticky for my base.

Hey while you're there grab me a 4 set for Roxy! LOL

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

We picked up our tires today. Believe me, the warehouse is really HUGE!!. Great people, by the time I finished paperwork inside, there was a guy with a dolly and my four tires on it ready at the loading dock. There were quite a few individuals picking up tires there as well. I can't even guess how many acres that warehouse is.
Dan, I didn't have anymore room in the back of the Expedition, but your tires on row 45, section 271. They're ready for you to order 'em ;)

The tires before weren't run flats, & I don't notice any difference in ride quality. Could be because my daily driver rides really stiff - the XLR feels cushy in comparison! We have the Michelin Super Sports on the XLR-V, I haven't felt any really obvious difference when I drive that instead of mine. The Super Sports might be "stickier," but I at least don't need the same amount of sticky for my base.

That's the same tire I'm running and need to replace nice tire but only a 30k tire for $1150 just want more miles for the money local tire store up the road said 890$ for 4 Bridgestone Driveguards mounted and on the car!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Driveguard RF ,,,, cause I don't want to be stranded in BFE

Went with 4 Bridgestone Driveguards mid-November last year and immediately left on a 2500 miles trip. They replaced the OEM tires that had 30K on them and were 'shot'. Opinion > smooth ride, quiet, and peace of mind.....seem to remember they were around $800 mounted/balanced with sales tax included. ( I'll re-check the price)

Update: They were $880, mounted, balanced, & sales tax...but got a $80 Bridgestone/Discount Tire rebate so $800 was the final outlay.

They will also be going on the Corvette when the time comes.

Last edited:

Which size Michelin tires do you have on the V model? Mine need replacement in a few thousand miles.

Which size Michelin tires do you have on the V model? Mine need replacement in a few thousand miles.

They don't have OEM sizes available, we went with 245/40ZR19 on the front, 255/40ZR19 on the back. Works fine.

Running 255/40ZR19 tires on all four with no problems and I can rotate them!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom