Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Run Flats Tire or Not

I have been placed in the position of disposing of my uncles 2006 XLR. I don't know the vehicles tire history and my uncle is no longer with us to ask if he knows anything. I suspect these tires were on it when he purchased it.

It has Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 P235/50 ZR 18 "Zero Pressure" tires. The car has 24,xxx miles on it, and these tires seem to have a date code of 4308, which I understand to mean they were made the 43rd week of 2008. So they are not the original tires, but probably the OEM spec tire, and are almost 8 years old. I'm guessing the originals lasted 15 to 20k miles and were replaced with these. These replacements still have a lot of tread on them.

So, can anyone tell me their experience with these tires? Like them? Hate them? Should I run more air than what is recommended? Should I be concerned due to their age?

I am the original owner of a 2006 XLR. It came with Michelin Pilot MXM4 P235/50 ZR 18" Zero Pressure tires. I got 28,000 miles from them. I replaced them this spring with Bridgestone Drive Guard zero pressure P235/50 tires. The Michelin Pilots in the size above are no longer made. The Bridgestones run great, more responsive, but a little harsher ride.

I have been placed in the position of disposing of my uncles 2006 XLR. I don't know the vehicles tire history and my uncle is no longer with us to ask if he knows anything. I suspect these tires were on it when he purchased it.

It has Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 P235/50 ZR 18 "Zero Pressure" tires. The car has 24,xxx miles on it, and these tires seem to have a date code of 4308, which I understand to mean they were made the 43rd week of 2008. So they are not the original tires, but probably the OEM spec tire, and are almost 8 years old. I'm guessing the originals lasted 15 to 20k miles and were replaced with these. These replacements still have a lot of tread on them.

So, can anyone tell me their experience with these tires? Like them? Hate them? Should I run more air than what is recommended? Should I be concerned due to their age?

If you are 'disposing' of this car, I am guessing you are selling it privately and not trading it in. I would suggest you leave the tires on the car and sell it as it. Suggest to the owner that the tires are 8 years old and should be replaced. (even if garage kept, they would be in better shape then outdoors .....but still 8 years old on compound break down) Suggest that since many folks on the XLR forums like the run flats, also many prefer regular radials (I changed mine to standard radials) and so you are selling without new tires and the price they carry and the new owner can decide what way they wish to proceed.

Not sure if you realize there is NO PLACE to put a spare tire in an XLR and hence the run flats. I have auto club and a small compressor and tire plug kit and hope I never need to use any of the above.

BTW: if you can go to a local Cadillac dealer (hopefully your uncle had dealt with them anyway) and they can provide a warranty report on any work done to the car regardless of what dealer it was repaired at. If he actually dealt with the local dealer they would also have record of all work done to the car.

Good luck with your sale.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back