Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Run Flats Tire or Not

What brand tire are you using? Are they run-flats?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus not run flats. 29k miles and they still have some life left in them, but probably will have to replace them in another 5-10k miles.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus not run flats. 29k miles and they still have some life left in them, but probably will have to replace them in another 5-10k miles.

Are you running this size on a base or V and what air pressure is everyone running the door label only calls for 30 PSI on my 05..... seems awfully low???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

seems low???

I prefer 36psi air pressure,,,,that's just me, your opinion may differ.

Lower psi > smoother ride

Higher psi > tread wear longevity

Run Flat Tires

I recently replaced the Run Flat Tires on my 09... couldn't get Michelin - not available except ones that were more than a year old which my Caddy Dealer refused to install. Instead got Bridgestone Drive Guard. Better tire, $100 cheaper per tire and better Treadware. Ride is smooth. I use Nitrogen in my tires for all my cars at 32psi.

Well the Michelin's Pilot Super Sports are about wore out.......:(
Now the question is what tire do I replace with this time? I love these Michelin tires, but at $1200 replacement cost for a regular tire (Not Run Flats) that only have 30,000 mile tread life, I've decided to get some of your opinions, as time is short for this decision because the PA State Inspection runs out the end March, so need to do this soon! So shoot me some of your ideas, experiences & thoughts! :wave:

Replacement Tires

I have gone through 2 sets of Michelin run flats (and never had a flat). At 43,000 miles I went with Yokohama YK580. Excellent handling, ride, and quiet. 35,000 miles later --- very happy with this choice! $187/tire at Discount Tire in January, 2013. I probably have another 5000 miles or so left before I should replace these. I rotate/balance every 6000 miles. --- Still no flats! I don't see the need for run flat tire. They're only good for 50 miles or so (like those small donut spares). So, with AAA Plus I have no need for a 50-mile tire.

Run Flats or Not

Appreciate your feedback and glad to know you've had no problems. That said, I'd rather not be stranded with a flat tire and no spare.

I have gone through 2 sets of Michelin run flats (and never had a flat). At 43,000 miles I went with Yokohama YK580. Excellent handling, ride, and quiet. 35,000 miles later --- very happy with this choice! $187/tire at Discount Tire in January, 2013. I probably have another 5000 miles or so left before I should replace these. I rotate/balance every 6000 miles. --- Still no flats! I don't see the need for run flat tire. They're only good for 50 miles or so (like those small donut spares). So, with AAA Plus I have no need for a 50-mile tire.

Well after some long period of sitting on the fence I had some time to review a lot of tires and see the issues with some others! After this time I see the benefits of a run flats as not much different than and a regular tire if you carry a roadside assistance and a emergency tire kit! Which we have a few different plans! With that being said and all the reviews checked I decided to go with the sport tires for corner and super traction-2 A/S Non Run Flats tires. They hold great reviews with one hell of a great price @ $675 all 4 mounted on the car with a 45k mile tire with free rotation every 5k since they are considered a one direction tire the can only be rotated front to back, and they carry a roadside assistant package to boot! I was also told and read if you drive that run flat tire 50 miles with low or no air, if you can find a repair shop in that distance, that sells run flats, it will need replacing because of heating up with no air that it weakens the sidewall beyond repair! In case of emergency I have a slime kit with portable air compressor and also a plug kit I keep in the trunk hole just in case! So since PA inspection is due by the end of March, this will all probably happen before weeks end! And if you're in need of tires TireRack.com has a great chart for for reviewing, videos and testing tire chart! Cheers!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457494019.194332.jpg

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Last edited:
I believe BF Goodrich are owned by Michelin and although I have not tried BF Goodrich tires, I have to believe that some of Michelin's technology goes into the BF Goodrich product which can't be all bad!

Run Flat Tires or Not

Dan & Wendy,

What you say makes a good case for not buying Run Flats. Considering how many flat tires one gets today considering the quality of modern tires and the price savings with conventional (vs Run Flats) tires, you're certainly ahead of the curve from a financial perspective.

It really comes down to convenience; do you want to mess with a slime kit or wait for AAA (or other Roadside assistance) to come to your rescue. In my case I do carry a portable (12V) air compressor so I can mitigate driving on a run flat with no air if possible.

Thanks for your input.

Peter (Caddy42)

Well after some long period of sitting on the fence I had some time to review a lot of tires and see the issues with some others! After this time I see the benefits of a run flats as not much different than and a regular tire if you carry a roadside assistance and a emergency tire kit! Which we have a few different plans! With that being said and all the reviews checked I decided to go with the sport tires for corner and super traction-2 A/S Non Run Flats tires. They hold great reviews with one hell of a great price @ $675 all 4 mounted on the car with a 45k mile tire with free rotation every 5k since they are considered a one direction tire the can only be rotated front to back, and they carry a roadside assistant package to boot! I was also told and read if you drive that run flat tire 50 miles with low or no air, if you can find a repair shop in that distance, that sells run flats, it will need replacing because of heating up with no air that it weakens the sidewall beyond repair! In case of emergency I have a slime kit with portable air compressor and also a plug kit I keep in the trunk hole just in case! So since PA inspection is due by the end of March, this will all probably happen before weeks end! And if you're in need of tires TireRack.com has a great chart for for reviewing, videos and testing tire chart! Cheers!

View attachment 6214

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Discount Tires

Dan & Wendy,

What you say makes a good case for not buying Run Flats. Considering how many flat tires one gets today considering the quality of modern tires and the price savings with conventional (vs Run Flats) tires, you're certainly ahead of the curve from a financial perspective.

It really comes down to convenience; do you want to mess with a slime kit or wait for AAA (or other Roadside assistance) to come to your rescue. In my case I do carry a portable (12V) air compressor so I can mitigate driving on a run flat with no air if possible.

Thanks for your input.

Peter (Caddy42)
Discount Tires quoted me $999. For 4- Bridgestone Driveguard tires run flat everything out the door. ??? Is that a ok price.

Discount Tires quoted me $999. For 4- Bridgestone Driveguard tires run flat everything out the door. ??? Is that a ok price.

I think when they quoted me it was around $920 on the car, but I've been friends and (did live right across the street of the tire shop) for almost 30 years so I might of had a little advantage of a lower price.

I don't know if you have a Costco membership but they are running a $70 discount on 4 tires. It came up to $749 + $15 per tire install. Worst case tell them you can get them installed at Costco and see if they will give you the $70 discount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great tire .... smooth ride

Last mid-November, same tires out the door at Discount > $880 total with a $80 Visa gift card from them = $800

Last mid-November, same tires out the door at Discount > $880 total with a $80 Visa gift card from them = $800

$880 for Drive Guard Run Flats is a good price. At the time I bought them for my car (2/10/15) they were $267 each. When all totaled up, adding the taxes, mounting, etc. it was $1140. That said, it's a great riding tire so no complaints.

Replacement run flats.

I just replaced my Michelin run flats this past April 2016 with 28,000 miles on them. Michelin no longer produces our factory installed original run flats in our size. (I talked to the factory). I replaced the old Michelins with new Bridgestone run flats, same size. I am ecstatic. They perform better than the original Michelin run flats. You won't be disappointed. Total cost with four wheel alignment, mounting, and balancing was $1245.

Excellent purchase decision,,,,,

We have put 3K+ miles on our DriveGuard run flats, and are very happy with the ride quality :thumbsup
In July, we will put on another 3.5K mile vacation trip on them and looking forward to it. If the sizes are available, they are also going on our Corvette next when it's shoes need replacing.

I have been placed in the position of disposing of my uncles 2006 XLR. I don't know the vehicles tire history and my uncle is no longer with us to ask if he knows anything. I suspect these tires were on it when he purchased it.

It has Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 P235/50 ZR 18 "Zero Pressure" tires. The car has 24,xxx miles on it, and these tires seem to have a date code of 4308, which I understand to mean they were made the 43rd week of 2008. So they are not the original tires, but probably the OEM spec tire, and are almost 8 years old. I'm guessing the originals lasted 15 to 20k miles and were replaced with these. These replacements still have a lot of tread on them.

So, can anyone tell me their experience with these tires? Like them? Hate them? Should I run more air than what is recommended? Should I be concerned due to their age?

L/star 245,,,, If the XLR has been always garage kept ,,,, I wouldn't be concerned about the tires age? They are a good tire //// may as well sell the car with the tire on them. Was your uncle the original owner of the Cad?

L/star 245,,,, If the XLR has been always garage kept ,,,, I wouldn't be concerned about the tires age? They are a good tire //// may as well sell the car with the tire on them. Was your uncle the original owner of the Cad?

I believe he was the second owner and it has been in a garage since then. I cant say prior to his owning it, but based on paint and interior condition, I would say it has been in a garage the majority of its life. He purchased it from Sewell Cadillac pre-owned dept. in Dallas. I can't recall if it was certified or not.

Personally, I don't lie them. They seem to track funny on bad roads.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom