Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Lambo doors

jjsea55

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V, Shale interior
Okay, I'll bite on this... with high hopes that I'll not be laughed off the forum. Saw a pic of a black XLR on Ebay a few months ago that had the Lambo-style vertical doors installed. I think it looked pretty sharp. JMO.

Has anyone had experience with these on your XLR, or know of anyone who did? I would never consider any kit that would require permanent alteration of my car... and it would be mandatory that it could revert to original via a reverse process. A bolt-on kit generally affords a 75 degree elevation whereas some of the universal kits (which usually require welding/modification) will achieve 90 degrees. Naturally, I would only consider a bolt-on version for my vehicle.

This, of course, would be a purely cosmetic modification. There are other mods I'd indulge first that pertain to the performance realm, but this is currently on my list somewhere down the line for consideration. Thanks for any thoughts and/or discussion.

Well, I'm glad you didn't ask for opinions. ;)

We've had this discussion before - you might be able to even search it ... we have a place here in town that does door conversions to every imaginable model of car and sets them outside when they're done for pickup and viewing .... I can't imagine why anyone would want to ruin a perfectly designed car .... LOL ..... couldn't help it .... JMHO

Well, I'm glad you didn't ask for opinions. ;)

We've had this discussion before - you might be able to even search it ... we have a place here in town that does door conversions to every imaginable model of car and sets them outside when they're done for pickup and viewing .... I can't imagine why anyone would want to ruin a perfectly designed car .... LOL ..... couldn't help it .... JMHO

I am in COMPLETE agreement, RA... couldn't have said it better!!

lambo doors are so 1980's lambos don't even have lambo doors anymore.

What about a hood scoop? I think I want to see one. Gotta be the right one though.

So much for first responder disdain. The search of previous posts revealed little info of value... mostly more disdain. It is my understanding that the doors will open conventionally enough to allow access and egress without having to activate vertical. Haven't seen any up close so was just seeking input.

I'll source the mechanical logistics on the local level as I have a couple of installers here in P'cola.

the hood scoop was hilarious as I read it (hopefully as intended) with sarcasm!

I will sit on the fence with this one. I know verticle doors can be a pretty eye catching modification to set your car apart a bit from the rest, and I have seen kits that open both verticle as well as the same as a stock door with no permenant changes to the body so they are easily reversible. If our cars came from Cadillac stock with verticle doors a lot of us might feel differently about them. But since there is a "lambo" door kit for almost every model of car made now I think its a bit like spinning rims now, a fad that by the time I could afford to partake in had already ran its course.

Before I bought my XLR I had seen a few for sale on ebay with verticle doors, and I had even looked into what it would cost to have one of these kits put on (its roughly $1500 - $2000). Now that I own one I realize lifting my doors up will do little to add to the "head turning" factor this car already has, and for the cost I could think of plenty of more worthwhile upgrades.

Oh and by the way, the runner-up for funnist post was "lambo doors are so 1980s, lambos don't even have them anymore" haha

I know I'm setting myself up for trouble on this reply but your question was serious. I personally don't know about those doors or have an interest but my V is an everyday usage car. Some people park so close that opening a door and getting back into the car is a back wrenching pain. Such a door may do away with that kind of problem. As far as the appearance-hey it only looks different if the door is open. What suites you is what is correct, especially if it is reversable and you keep all the original parts for the car.
Jack

Thanks for the practical responses, TREE MAN & jackparker06V. Never would I desecrate the integrity of my XLR, but I'm certainly free to do so if desired (and if the wife would still travel with me ; )

Cosmetically, my Wind Restrictor is probably the most noticeable mod I'll undertake... perhaps some designer wheels of some type later, but I actually like the stock rims she came with. I'd like to enhance her performance a bit with some of the more common modifications (exhaust, D3 Stage 1 & 2 intake and some HID/LED lighting adjustments) as time and budget allow. Oh, and perhaps some lambo-style doors. :lol:;)

Sure is great to own one of these F.I.N.E. automobiles !!! :cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back