Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Major oil leak repairs

Tiffany's Dad

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Xenon Blue XLR
Just got XLR back from dealership. Took them 2 weeks to find parts. This may be a concern for others. Had to replace all 4 Cam Phaser Sensor Modules that were full of oil and leaking down wiring harnesses. Cadillac Tech discovered this a couple weeks ago when I took to him to check out. Mine is an 04 Base unit. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Just got XLR back from dealership. Took them 2 weeks to find parts. This may be a concern for others. Had to replace all 4 Cam Phaser Sensor Modules that were full of oil and leaking down wiring harnesses. Cadillac Tech discovered this a couple weeks ago when I took to him to check out. Mine is an 04 Base unit. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Yup... Had both of the front sensor modules replaced -- same kind of leak.

Gotta luv my Costco extended warranty. ;)

Tim

Same here @ 50k mi. mine were not leaking yet just moist oil around them.I had them replaced early under gmpp!!! :lol: later, Al

Forgive my ignorance, but where would I look to check mine? :dunno: I haven't noticed oily residue anywhere with the cover off, but I do have a little over 50K on her and the GMPP is active for another 10K or so. I'd like to attend to anything that may be prone to go awry before expiration/renewal. Thanks!

Forgive my ignorance, but where would I look to check mine? :dunno: I haven't noticed oily residue anywhere with the cover off, but I do have a little over 50K on her and the GMPP is active for another 10K or so. I'd like to attend to anything that may be prone to go awry before expiration/renewal. Thanks!

they are 3" metal disc, two on ea. head about 1/2" thick.they start to show oil moisture around them before they leak. Al

If you don't mind me asking... how much do these beauties cost to get replaced???

If you don't mind me asking... how much do these beauties cost to get replaced???

They're no too bad. I think I paid about $50 a piece for my 2 spares a few years ago. Mine are always weeping, but never drip. They probably need changing again this year before I start racing too hard. Remove and replace is really easy, just have to insure they are relearned before hard driving is resumed.

They're no too bad. I think I paid about $50 a piece for my 2 spares a few years ago. Mine are always weeping, but never drip. They probably need changing again this year before I start racing too hard. Remove and replace is really easy, just have to insure they are relearned before hard driving is resumed.

Thanks, Giz. Guess I'll check mine when I take her out of storage. Are they all the same part number?

Thanks, Giz. Guess I'll check mine when I take her out of storage. Are they all the same part number?

The dealership wanted to charge me over $800.00 to replace all 4 of them since they said my warranty had expired, but I had my car in less than 3,000 miles ago to have alot of major oil leaks fixed before it expired and I argued with them that these should have been taken care of at that time. All I had to pay was my $200 deductible. Don't know if the part #s were different.

I know mine are weepy (with 75,000 miles) - is there a gasket that can be replaced? Do you have to replace the whole thing?

I'm not sure,there is a gasket that you can see looking at them but maybe it's part of them.mine were weepy,not really leaking and the tech just went and replaced them.of course under gmpp there's the more they do the better!!!. I think gismo did his own and may be able to add to this. Al

more info please,,,,

worship.gif
Thanks for the heads up info guys....

Part #s and even a posted picture of the cover off, part location on the heads would really help us newbie owners. Buying spares sounds like a great suggestion
rocker.gif

Here's a pic of my pretty clean engine compartment with the engine cover off and arrows indicating the location on the sensors on the drivers side. There are two just like them on the passenger side. :chuckle Click on the picture to enlarge it.

sensors.jpg

:worship: Thanks for the heads up info guys....

Part #s and even a posted picture of the cover off, part location on the heads would really help us newbie owners. Buying spares sounds like a great suggestion :rocker:

Spares would probably be a great thought for those that have not had to replace yet. Like I said in an earlier post, they had to search around to find 4 for mine. And i'm sure if a few of us have bad ones the rest will follow.

Thank you for the picture,,

Thank you Cubby for the picture,,,that gives me a clearer picture of the part in question. I was thinking it was something like this below, but apparently I was wrong:

^ Camshaft Position Sensor ^

Tiff's Dad,,,,you are right,,the dealer parts need to stock these if they are going to be an issue for leaking...

Now, we just need the part # if anyone has them?
Thanks in advance

Here's a pic of my pretty clean engine compartment with the engine cover off and arrows indicating the location on the sensors on the drivers side. There are two just like them on the passenger side. :chuckle Click on the picture to enlarge it.

View attachment 4018

Engine looks nice, Cubby! Did the Cadillac script on the pipes come with the D3 treatment or was it added later?

They were added. It's the script from 1955 Cadillac valve covers.

Engine looks nice, Cubby! Did the Cadillac script on the pipes come with the D3 treatment or was it added later?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom