Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Montana Spring drive 2013

Professor

We were pleased to have the Professor join us this past June on our Pennsylvania Trip. Alexis and I were very happy to have Henry join us at our table for several meals.

Here's a picture of the Professor climbing out of a 1914 Chevrolet Mail Roadster. He had just taken a ride in it at the AACA Museum in Hershey.

DSC00902.jpg

Let's get serious and do it! It would be fun. (P.S.I did enjoy Pennsylvania too!)

I'm thinking either the second week in June, 2013 or the second week in July, 2013. This year the Beartooth Pass didn't open for the season until late the first week in June. It usually opens Memorial weekend, but we had a late snow which hampered the highway clearing. Whichever works best would be great!!!!

June sounds perfect to me, but I could also do July if needed.
professor:wave:

I'm thinking June 8-16, 2013; I'll get started talking to hotels in Billings for prices.
As far as an itinerary - I was thinking about a one day drive up the Beartooth Highway then back down the Chief Joseph. Another day could be spent on a drive across Highway 14A outside of Lovell, Wyo, over the Burgess Junction, coming out at Ranchester, Wyo and back home on I90. Then, to finish up the week, a two or three day trip through Yellowstone. Going in at Gardiner, MT at Mammoth Hot Springs, coming out at West Yellowstone, stopping, of course. at Old Faithful. I will need to know about how many will be coming in order to block rooms outside the park - I was thinking at the Buck's T-4 Lodge at Big Sky, MT. The next day could be spent in the Big Sky area or back to West Yellowstone... then continuing to Bozeman and home.
For this Yellowstone trip, everyone that cares to could leave their luggage at our house and just take a small bag for the two-three day trip - that way Yellowstone could be taken in top-down.
So, it's probably time to get a count on prospects for this drive. As people let me know, I will keep track on Post #1.

Still a long way off but I'm in for this. (Marc & Kris) Never know what is gonna happen with work that far out but will keep it open. Only been to Montana once in 1972 and loved it.

Still a long way off but I'm in for this. (Marc & Kris) Never know what is gonna happen with work that far out but will keep it open. Only been to Montana once in 1972 and loved it.

GREAT!! I know it's a long way off, but in order to get accommodations close to Yellowstone, we have to plan quite a ways ahead as the hotels fill up quick. Hence the reason I'm planning on staying in Big Sky; it's about 30 miles from Yellowstone and doesn't fill so quick.

Rod, I'm going to pencil this in. Sounds great.

One thought: if the trip across 14A, over Burgess, etc. were scheduled for the last day, those of us heading east or south would have a head start on the trip home at Ranchester. FWIW

Tim

I'm thinking June 8-16, 2013; I'll get started talking to hotels in Billings for prices.
As far as an itinerary - I was thinking about a one day drive up the Beartooth Highway then back down the Chief Joseph. Another day could be spent on a drive across Highway 14A outside of Lovell, Wyo, over the Burgess Junction, coming out at Ranchester, Wyo and back home on I90. <snip>
So, it's probably time to get a count on prospects for this drive. As people let me know, I will keep track on Post #1.

Rod, I'm going to pencil this in. Sounds great.

One thought: if the trip across 14A, over Burgess, etc. were scheduled for the last day, those of us heading east or south would have a head start on the trip home at Ranchester. FWIW

Tim

Thanks... good idea; we could probably make that work.

Count me in!! Sounds like an awesome trip. By June/July - I'm going to need a break from work. Just keep me posted on the dates. June is usually pretty hectic for me at work - July works better... but I will just work whatever fits the majority of the group.

Count me in!! Sounds like an awesome trip. By June/July - I'm going to need a break from work. Just keep me posted on the dates. June is usually pretty hectic for me at work - July works better... but I will just work whatever fits the majority of the group.

Great!! Will be super to see you again. The reason I picked June is because my wife reminded me that July is a big payroll month at her work, hence it would be a tough month for her to get away.

Crap, if it is that week, we are out. :( I am already booked from the 7th thru 16th, actually double booked on the 7-9th. :dunno:

If it ends up getting moved forward towards the middle to end of June we are back in, I will keep an eye on the posting.

Crap, if it is that week, we are out. :( I am already booked from the 7th thru 16th, actually double booked on the 7-9th. :dunno:

If it ends up getting moved forward towards the middle to end of June we are back in, I will keep an eye on the posting.

WOW... you sound busier than we are!!! Sorry to hear that... but the middle to end of any month won't work for us as it gets into payroll at my wife's work... hence the reason we probably will never make it to Bobfest.

WOW... you sound busier than we are!!! Sorry to hear that... but the middle to end of any month won't work for us as it gets into payroll at my wife's work... hence the reason we probably will never make it to Bobfest.

You would think that being retired would give you lots of time on your hands........ :dunno:

LOL Graytoad, I have been retired for 41 years and never have enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do.

LOL Graytoad, I have been retired for 41 years and never have enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do.

41 YEARS RETIRED...........and still driving a performance car at 101 years old...imagine! ~;) :cool:

I am going to have to guess you didn't retire when you turned 60!

41 YEARS RETIRED...........and still driving a performance car at 101 years old...imagine! ~;) :cool:

I am going to have to guess you didn't retire when you turned 60!

Try 37, my goal was 40 but I was fortunate. I would like to make the Montana trip and meet up with friends I haven't seen for a while and make some new friends. June or July would be a nice time to head North.

I got to thinking about maybe doing this trip the first week in July instead of June 8-16. Cindy said that may not work with most people since July 4 is usually family time with a lot of families. But, I figured I'd throw it out and see which would work best for those that are thinking about coming out to Montana??

Rod, I'd vote for the June dates, for the reason Cindy mentioned. FWIW

Tim
I got to thinking about maybe doing this trip the first week in July instead of June 8-16. Cindy said that may not work with most people since July 4 is usually family time with a lot of families. But, I figured I'd throw it out and see which would work best for those that are thinking about coming out to Montana??

Cool. 41 years!!!

Try 37, my goal was 40 but I was fortunate. I would like to make the Montana trip and meet up with friends I haven't seen for a while and make some new friends. June or July would be a nice time to head North.

It would be great to see you again, First Robin! Tell me, I have only just turned over my company to my son, made him President last August so that I could be semi-retired at age 67. What did you used to do before you were 37 and did you ever get bored being retired? I like working just not at the same pace as when I was much younger.

I will also try to go to the Montana event. June or July will work for me.
Henry (professor):wave:

Merilee and I (John) are seriously considering participating in the Montana 2013 trip. So put us down as a strong tentative at this time. As to dates, the June ones work best for us, though we are flexible before mid-July.

John

I am assuming you are meaning the first week of July that starts June 30th? We would only be able to head in your direction bright and early on the morning of the 2nd arriving on the 3rd as my granddaughters birthday is July 1st: Canada Day. It is 1700 miles, 31 non-stop hours to the Montana border, driving at the speed limit :laugh: according to google maps.

As much I want to drive to Montana, this does not look like to be in the cards for us :dunno:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom