Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Montana Spring drive 2013

Merilee and I (John) are seriously considering participating in the Montana 2013 trip. So put us down as a strong tentative at this time. As to dates, the June ones work best for us, though we are flexible before mid-July.

John

It would be great to have you join us... hopefully it will work out!!!

I am assuming you are meaning the first week of July that starts June 30th? We would only be able to head in your direction bright and early on the morning of the 2nd arriving on the 3rd as my granddaughters birthday is July 1st: Canada Day. It is 1700 miles, 31 non-stop hours to the Montana border, driving at the speed limit :laugh: according to google maps.

As much I want to drive to Montana, this does not look like to be in the cards for us :dunno:

Yes, that's the week I was thinking about... looks like we'll have to meet at some other event down the road.:blinzel:

A Tease of pictures...

Cindy and I took a drive over Beartooth and Chief Joseph (280 miles) today just to scope things out & took a few pics of the scenery...
The reason everything is so hazy is all the wildfires in the area... smoke in the air. There will be no smokey haze in June next year.

Attachments

• PICT4830.jpg
    PICT4830.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 275
  • PICT4833.jpg
    PICT4833.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 303
  • PICT4837.jpg
    PICT4837.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 297
I got to thinking about maybe doing this trip the first week in July instead of June 8-16. Cindy said that may not work with most people since July 4 is usually family time with a lot of families. But, I figured I'd throw it out and see which would work best for those that are thinking about coming out to Montana??

Early July would not work for me (end of June is 2nd busiest month of the year for my company). But I will keep an eye on this thread in case the June dates become an option again. Would love to see Montana scenery.

Another option:
How about coming to Montana for a Spring Drive in 2013. We have some fantasic sights (Yellowstone National Park, for one) and some GREAT roads (Beartooth Highway, Chief Joseph Highway)...
Anyone interested???

To break the ice so to speak, Janet and I would like to penciled in for "The Montana Spring Drive 2013" This would be our first real road trip inr our XLR and our first meet and greet with the XLR community.
We are both retired so, any of the dates proposed would be fine with us. :cool: :wave:

Another option:
How about coming to Montana for a Spring Drive in 2013. We have some fantasic sights (Yellowstone National Park, for one) and some GREAT roads (Beartooth Highway, Chief Joseph Highway)...
Anyone interested???

To break the ice so to speak, Janet and I would like to penciled in for "The Montana Spring Drive 2013" This would be our first real road trip inr our XLR and our first meet and greet with the XLR community.
We are both retired so, any of the dates proposed would be fine with us. :cool: :wave:

COOOOLLLLLLL!!! You will love the XLR on long distance drives... especially on the roads I have in mind. It will be GREAT to have you in Montana!!!

For Sure Date of MT Drive

Well... let's go back to the original date of June 8-16. I checked on hotels in West Yellowstone, most are sold out in June already. So, I am checking with Buck's T-4 Lodge (www.buckt4.com) in Big Sky, MT 30 miles from West Yellowstone. Their rates have not been set for June 2013 as of yet, but 2012 rates were $139/nt. Full breaffast is included. I am waiting for a phone call from the marketing director to see about better rates for a block of rooms. As soon as I know more, I will post the particulars - hopefully by the end of the week. I'm hoping everyone will be here by Sunday, June 9, so I am going to request rooms for June 10 and 11.
More later...

Montana Spring Drive

If I can, I would like to join you as part of a larger trip that I have been trying to take. Maybe this is the start I need!
...George :wave:

We will make reservations .... if those are the dates you are using ... :wave:

xxoo

Yes... these are the dates. It will be GREAT to see you again!!! But wait to make reservations at Bucks t-4 until I get rates, etc. I am also working on group rates for hotels in Billings for the days that week that we will be here. I am planning on working with the Holiday Inn Grand and Billings Hotel, these hotels are right beside each other, right off Interstate 90.
Rod

Decided to contact the Billings Chamber of Commerce to get hotel rates; I figured that was easier than calling around myself. After all, that is part of what they do; they are going to send out an RFP to most every hotel in Billings next week for a rate on a block of 10 rooms.
I also haven't heard back from Bucks T-4 in Big Sky, but I would imagine they are busy finishing up weddings, etc. from the summer.
Hopefully I know something concerning hotel rates by the end of next week. :blinzel:

Itinerary for the trip...

The actual days in Montana will be June 9-15. My itinerary as of now is for everyone to be in Billings by the afternoon/evening of June 9. We are planning a welcome reception at our house that evening. The week will look like this:
June 10-11: Travel to Yellowstone National Park, entering at Gardiner, MT, coming out at West Yellowstone, MT, spending two night at Bucks T-4 Lodge in Big Sky. Large luggage may be left at our house during this trip so we can travel top-down. I figure that small bags can be packed on the evening of June 9 for that night at a Billings hotel, then taken on the Yellowstone trip for two nights.
June 12: Travel back to Billings - lunch in Bozeman. Billings to be used as a base for day trips the rest of the week.
June 13: Day trip to Custer Battlefield (50 miles away) and Pompeys Pillar (80 miles from Custer Battlefield to Pompeys Pillar then on 30 miles back to Billings) (light day of travelling).
June 14: Day trip over Beartooth Highway, lunch in Cooke City, back to Billings by way of Chief Joseph Highway. Round trip around 280 miles.
June 15: Day trip over Burgess Junction - Wyoming Highway 14A - coming out at Ranchester, Wyo and continuing home to Billings on Interstate 90. Those that care to continue to their homes from Ranchester, since they will already be 2 hours out of Billings, will have to take their luggage with them and travel top up on this trip.
June 16: travel home.

Actual nights in Billings will be June 9 and 12-15. These are the nights for which I am working on group rates in Billings; I am also working on group rates at Bucks T-4 Lodge in Big Sky. I will post hotel information when I have something set up.

Just thought I'd let everyone know I should have hotel rates early next week...

Just thought I'd let everyone know I should have hotel rates early next week...

Well, I had you 'pencil us in' - but now we'll have to have you 'pencil us out' .... Seems there is going to be a conflict of events for us after all ... I think you are going to create a great experience. Too bad we can't be in two places at one time.

Well, I had you 'pencil us in' - but now we'll have to have you 'pencil us out' .... Seems there is going to be a conflict of events for us after all ... I think you are going to create a great experience. Too bad we can't be in two places at one time.

:( Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it after all; WE'LL MISS YOU!! SOOOOOO, if your other plans happen to change, I can always "pencil you back in"... you are ALWAYS welcome!!!:blinzel:

XLR Driving in SNOW

Dawn and I are giving this some serious consideration. My only concern / question is SNOW. Whether I have the XLR or CTS these are not good in the snow nor have I ever had either out in the rain if I could avoid it. :dunno:

Your thoughts...

I have never had any trouble driving in the snow with my XLR. Of course when I was young and living in Illinois we only had rear wheel drive so I had to learn at an early age to drive in the snow. Not only did I drive my XLR in Colorado snow but in 2008 on my return trip from California I hit a snow storm west of Hollbrook, AZ and drove in snow all the way back to Colorado Springs with NO problems.

Dawn and I are giving this some serious consideration. My only concern / question is SNOW. Whether I have the XLR or CTS these are not good in the snow nor have I ever had either out in the rain if I could avoid it. :dunno:

Your thoughts...

Dave, I hope you can make this trip work into your schedule, it should be a once in a lifetime trip. MT has some great driving roads planned that would be a lot of fun in the V.:wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom