Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Montana Spring drive 2013

Dawn and I are giving this some serious consideration. My only concern / question is SNOW. Whether I have the XLR or CTS these are not good in the snow nor have I ever had either out in the rain if I could avoid it. :dunno:

Your thoughts...

Would LOVE to have you make it out to Montana... snow should be cleared from the Beartooth Highway and Chief Joseph the last of May; usually these are open Memorial weekend. There will stilll be snow along the sides of the highway, but NOT on the roadways. Although, the roads will probably be quite wet with the melting of the snowbanks, but I'm planning on working with a mobile car wash to have them at the hotel when we return each night. I remember that this was quite a nice feature in San Antonio in 2009.

HOTEL INFO

Here is the hotel info for the trip:

June 9, 12-15:
The Big Horn Resort
1801 Majestic Lane
Billings, MT 59102
1-877-995-8999
www.thebighornresort.com

Ask for the "Cadillac XLR Group" rate
$99/night + tax, full hot breakfast included.
--------------------------------------------------------------
June 10-11:
Bucks T-4 Lodge
Big Sky. MT
1-800-822-4484
www.buckst4.com

Ask for the "Cadillac XLR Driveup" rate
Right now is their off season; office hours for reservations are Monday-Thursday 10AM-6PM.

Reservations

Thank you, Rod. I will make my reservations next week. What a great trip this will be! ...George :wave:

June 9, 12-15:
The Big Horn Resort
1801 Majestic Lane
Billings, MT 59102
1-877-995-8999
www.thebighornresort.com

June 10-11:
Bucks T-4 Lodge
Big Sky. MT
1-800-822-4484
www.buckst4.com

Right now is their off season; office hours for reservations are Monday-Thursday 10AM-6PM.

Thanx, Rod
I'll get right on it.
:cool:

Merilee and I made our hotel bookings today. We are looking forward to an exciting trip next June.

Now we only have to plan the most enjoyable route to take to get there and back. It has been a long time since we have takensuch a long road trip.

John

June 9, 12-15:
The Big Horn Resort
1801 Majestic Lane
Billings, MT 59102
1-877-995-8999
www.thebighornresort.com

June 10-11:
Bucks T-4 Lodge
Big Sky. MT
1-800-822-4484
www.buckst4.com

Rod, thanks for all of the work you have put in to organize this trip... sounds like a good time. Would you (and some of the others) share some packing tips for those of us who haven't made such a trip with limited storage space? Looking at the preliminary numbers, we would be traveling about 1500 miles to get to Billings, plus the day trips, then the drive back home. My wife is stressing over the need to pack like Army scouts! :laugh:

Rod, thanks for all of the work you have put in to organize this trip... sounds like a good time. Would you (and some of the others) share some packing tips for those of us who haven't made such a trip with limited storage space? Looking at the preliminary numbers, we would be traveling about 1500 miles to get to Billings, plus the day trips, then the drive back home. My wife is stressing over the need to pack like Army scouts! :laugh:

Actually you'll find the XLR has quite a bit of trunk space with the top up. That being said, some XLR owners have used UPS to ship their clothing back and forth to enable top up travelling. My wife and I just use one suitcase for both of us... plenty of clothing for a week. We travel top up to our destination, put the suitcases in the hotel, travel top down while there, then top up going home.
This trip is different from the other trips I've been on in that we are splitting the trip between two hotels. My thinking is when you arrive at Big Horn Resort on Sunday the 9th, repack into a small duffel bag with enough clothing for the three day Yellowstone trip, leaving the rest of your baggage at my house on Sunday when you come over for the first night reception (top down for Yellowstone Park). Then when we return on Wednesday from the Park, first stop will be our house to pick up your luggage. Or, while everone is getting their cars washed, we can take a run to our house and return with everyones luggage in a different vehicle.

compact travel

After many years of traveling light on the Harley's we just take advantage of the laundry facilities that are offered at just about every hotel. If not, there are always Laundromats and most of them offer wash and fold services too: drop off in the morning and pick up later! :blinzel:

@lonestar ..
Because we come to the events from San Diego, it is always my biggest nightmare trying to pack 2 weeks of clothing plus Lola's Beauty Kit .... believe me, it is always a chore that required tons of planning. But here is what I learned that will help your wife. Do not use any hardsided luggage. Roomy, and soft sided rolling duffles work best as you can stuff them into spacing in the trunk that would otherwise not be used and take advantage of the limited highth of the trunk. Second, each of you pack smaller hotel bags for the trip over and back, only putting in them your traveling clothes so you won't need to empty out the car every night when you stop at your hotel. Just keep traveling and night clothes, toiletries in them. Don't try to bring something for every occasion .... except for the Cadillac events in Bowling Green, I have found that Levi's and Tee, Golf and button-up shirts work for every event. I pack one pair of either Dockers or capri's and nicer shirt for each of us. I'm also not a fan of ironing so I have found by using the plastic from the laundry shirts prevents any wrinkles. Shoes: walking shoes and one pair of casual shoes should do it. A jacket and a sweatshirt - and that's about it. Keep your maps and copies of reservations etc. in a folder between the seat and the console .... use a purse that can fit behind the headrest - try to keep the cabin floor clear .... your feet will thank you for it ..... Good luck!

Then again... this would also work!!

I found out that I can carry 2 of these. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351181917.406501.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1351181931.489257.jpgand safely have the top down when going on trips. If no one is in the other seat then I can have one other small suitcase.

Thanks to graytoad, Lola's Mom, and hawkeye372 for the info. That gives us a better idea on ways to pack and the standard "dress code" for these adventures. :wave:

FYI:
I also posted the intinerary and the hotel information for the trip on post #1 for ease of finding when the time draws near.

Unfortunately, it looks as if Dawn and I will have to pass. Looks like a great trip however commitments locally will not permit either of us to be away for the time frame necessary to travel to and enjoy the itinerary. Have a great time.

Sorry to hear that... but, you are ALWAYS welcome if things happen to change.

Road trip

@lonestar ..
Because we come to the events from San Diego, it is always my biggest nightmare trying to pack 2 weeks of clothing plus Lola's Beauty Kit .... believe me, it is always a chore that required tons of planning. But here is what I learned that will help your wife. Do not use any hardsided luggage. Roomy, and soft sided rolling duffles work best as you can stuff them into spacing in the trunk that would otherwise not be used and take advantage of the limited highth of the trunk. Second, each of you pack smaller hotel bags for the trip over and back, only putting in them your traveling clothes so you won't need to empty out the car every night when you stop at your hotel. Just keep traveling and night clothes, toiletries in them. Don't try to bring something for every occasion .... except for the Cadillac events in Bowling Green, I have found that Levi's and Tee, Golf and button-up shirts work for every event. I pack one pair of either Dockers or capri's and nicer shirt for each of us. I'm also not a fan of ironing so I have found by using the plastic from the laundry shirts prevents any wrinkles. Shoes: walking shoes and one pair of casual shoes should do it. A jacket and a sweatshirt - and that's about it. Keep your maps and copies of reservations etc. in a folder between the seat and the console .... use a purse that can fit behind the headrest - try to keep the cabin floor clear .... your feet will thank you for it ..... Good luck!

Thank you for your insight on packing for a road trip. Now I know I am a newbie to the XLR lifestyle, and, I think I have a handle on luggage and clothing to bring along but, just exactly what comprises "Lola's Beauty Kit"? :dunno::dunno:I would greatly appreciate the listing.:blinzel::)

Well the two of you talked me into it when you were down here so I booked my reservations today. Will be driving the EXT if anyone from the SW needs me to carry luggage. :wave:

Well the two of you talked me into it when you were down here so I booked my reservations today. Will be driving the EXT if anyone from the SW needs me to carry luggage. :wave:

Great to hear it!!! Maybe you and Robert can caravan together...

We are Booked!

Well it is a Happy New Year to me! :party

We have cleared our schedule and have booked the hotels so please add us to the list of attendees for this event Mtrocket! We think we will make it into a bigger trip, spending a day or two visiting Chicago area friends on the way there and a few days in the Sturgis/Deadwood on the way back too!

It looks like you have put together a fabulous scenic event for us Rod, thank you and see you in June! :wave:

Well it is a Happy New Year to me! :party

We have cleared our schedule and have booked the hotels so please add us to the list of attendees for this event Mtrocket! We think we will make it into a bigger trip, spending a day or two visiting Chicago area friends on the way there and a few days in the Sturgis/Deadwood on the way back too!

It looks like you have put together a fabulous scenic event for us Rod, thank you and see you in June! :wave:

FANDAMNTASTIC!!!! GLAD YOU CLEARED YOUR SCHEDULE... IT WILL BE GREAT TO MEET YOU!!!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom