Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

MP3 / iPod

BTC455 installed

It works just fine with good audio quality, only music tested so far. I drilled no holes. I spliced in a female acc. power outlet to the console one and left it under the cover. I ran power to the phone using a USB cable at the same time. Sorry for the dirty pictures, but wanted to get them up.. My console power times out and goes off after everything is shut down and doors are shut. Not sure how long,guessing about 30 minutes. The phone cover will fold behind the phone.

Yesterday XM sent me a notice I'm getting 3 free months. Not really a concern because this quality is better than XM.

2014_07_24--11_39_433892.jpg2014_07_24--11_39_543893.jpg

Phrede did you end up using the BTC455 unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Phrede did you end up using the BTC455 unit?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Yes. Used the BTC455 and interface AUX1F from Ray Kawal. I have tested phone calls and could actually make a call with the top down at 60MPH! Of course there was some wind noise for the other person but it still worked and was way more than expected. The interaction between turn-by-turn navigation, music and calls is exactly as expected on my Android (KitKat) phone.

The only down sides are:
The volume was less on this interface so I adjusted my MP3 recorded level up. The only time there was not enough volume was with the top down, highway speeds and music intended to be listened to loud. It may not be an issue for some.

The steering wheel seek buttons don't work. But the seek button on the unit does. For me this isn't an issue because my phone is mounted is a convenient spot. I do use the skip function when nav screens are up on the phone.

It is nice to have Bluetooth finally working in the XLR and it was cheap and easy!

Thx! where did you buy your from and where can I find how to wire up to my XLR And do know if my 05 would be any different then yours?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Update: amp added

I got tired of the different levels between CD/Radio and the AUX/XM input so I added a small line level amp with up to 12db gain. It worked great and resolved the problem. It was small enough to fit under the shift cover panel and has 3.5mm jacks. I used the same 12V source from the aux power jack in the console. IMHO worth the $35 to have the levels match and to be able to "Crank it up".

lgb1_dim.jpg
Total Bluetooth project
Kinivo BTC455 Bluetooth interface $45
Ray Kawal AUX audio input adapter $40
LGB-1 pre-amp $35

Last edited:
That is good to know Phrere, every little issue that's gets solved is always a bonus!
I know you said it was pretty easy to install, and I'm a bit of a DIY, but I hate tearing into something especially my XLR when I'm not sure of what I'm doing and end up breaking it because I was not sure of how it comes a part. Once I had it apart a few times, well you know you learn from your mistakes ! So any pointers would be a plus. I did find a video on you tube on how to remove a radio on an XLR, but don't know if all years are the same? Any advice would be well appreciated! Thx

That is good to know Phrere, every little issue that's gets solved is always a bonus!
I know you said it was pretty easy to install, and I'm a bit of a DIY, but I hate tearing into something especially my XLR when I'm not sure of what I'm doing and end up breaking it because I was not sure of how it comes a part. Once I had it apart a few times, well you know you learn from your mistakes ! So any pointers would be a plus. I did find a video on you tube on how to remove a radio on an XLR, but don't know if all years are the same? Any advice would be well appreciated! Thx

This has nothing to do with removing the radio! The top of the center console, including the shift knob, needs to be removed. The center storage bin ( waterfall ) needs to come out. The interface plugs into the XM unit and the cable that comes out of the XM unit plugs into the interface. Basically the interface jumps in between the existing plug and the XM unit.

The bluetooth unit is fixed to the dash and the cable hidden and routed into the console. I installed a power socket inside the console and wired it to the power socket in the storage bin under the arm rest. The power for the amp also was spliced into this wiring. I routed a power cable from the USB socket on the bluetooth interface power connector to my phone. The audio cables and power gets plugged in and the gains on the amp set. After pairing your phone, your done.

If any of this is not clear or you do not recognize any of the terms I suggest you do not attempt it. If you can follow the description then it should be fairly easy for you.

Additional pictures?

This is great news. You have any additional pictures of the insulation?

I have the majority of my installation in a PowerPoint slide presentation. There might be one or two pictures to add, and I'll post them forthwith. Honestly, this is a simple installation. If you know how to use a credit card and a screwdriver, you can't go wrong.

CC :wave:

I have the majority of my installation in a PowerPoint slide presentation. There might be one or two pictures to add, and I'll post them forthwith. Honestly, this is a simple installation. If you know how to use a credit card and a screwdriver, you can't go wrong.

I agree. Maybe the hardest thing was unplugging the XM unit. Look at the plug on the adapter to see how to get it out.

ccclarke,
Would you happen to have theses slides posted on the forum? Reason for me asking is that I wanted to compare, step-by-step, how you did your install, with how I was going to do mine. You're very precise. That's all.....Thanks
ras

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shoot me a PM with a regular email account and I'll forward the PowerPoint slides.

Will do....Thanks

The ppt file is too large (>40Mb) to send, so I'll upload screen shots of the 12 pages. This is a DIY, no drill/no-hassle install. I placed the controller where I didn't need to take my eyes off the road to advance through my playlists, so I mounted it just forward of the center armrest. Ray's four-foot cable is more than sufficient for this method of installation.

Attachments

• Page 1.jpg
    Page 1.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 294
  • Page 2.jpg
    Page 2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 295
  • Page 3.jpg
    Page 3.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 314
  • Page 4.jpg
    Page 4.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 309
  • Page 6.jpg
    Page 6.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 333
  • Page 5.jpg
    Page 5.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Here's the second set:Page 8.jpgPage 7.jpgPage 9.jpgPage 10.jpgPage 11.jpgPage 12.jpg

The last picture shows the AUX 1-F cable gathered in the center console. Once I checked the system out and verified it was working properly, I placed the excess harness behind the upper storage area out of sight. The KNIVO shuts off with RAP after a few minutes, though I always turn it off (by pressing the center button) when I park. The only change I would make would to have ordered the shorter AUX 1 harness; ten feet was too long. There has been no interference (induced electrical noise) with this install. After seven months of trouble-free operation, I highly recommend this product!

Last edited:
Man, you're thorough...and I appreciate that you are!!!
Thanks again...
ras

You're most welcome. The only thing I would add is that your infotainment band needs to be set to "XM2" to receive the signal. I set the touch-screen "buttons" (P1, etc) to different audio/DSP settings for the different types of music I listen to. I sure wish the buttons could be labeled, like on my CTS-V stereo.

All in all, this is an easy-to-install, affordable mod that adds a lot of functionality to the XLR.

Yeah, it's the closest I'm going to get to a "stock" plug-in with my '05...and it's better than anything I had prior to the install...all-in-all, it gives me the opportunity to play hrs of "my" music, pretty much hands-free, while keeping things stock.......I cancelled my XM about a month ago....Thanks again
ras

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry