Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! my FOB is acting up

Mountsberg, Ontario, Ca., winters: Port Charlotte
My XLR/V(s)
2009 XLR Crystal Red Metalic
I have been looking around the forum and not finding anything about this problem.

Ever since we were at Bobfest I have been having FOB problems. Steve was carrying FOB 2 I had FOB 1 and problems started to occur partway through the weekend. I thought it had something to do with Steve having #2 in his pocket thereby confusing the computer. The problem has not gone away, my FOB is not fully recognizing me. I start the car and it says FOB 1 dectected but it does not put the seat and steering wheel where I want them. I have tried manually adjusting and pushing the button on the seat until it beeps to re-program it but it still does not remember the next time. It still remembers I want the right side mirror all the down when I back up (curb at work) and the steering wheel up and seat base rises when I get out. Is there something I can do to fix this or does it have to go to the dealer to be reflashed or soomething? It is not doing any clicking in the dash like it does when it can't find the fob or needs new batteries etc. Anyone else ever experience this and what was the fix?

One little side note here to the ladies or guys with man purses :D I have noticed it that my computer does not like it when I have my keys in my purse. My purse is heavy leather and I assume it just has a hard time communicating, it will start but it does allot of that tell-tale clicking etc.

Have you checked the battery in FOB 1, does this also happen with FOB2? :cool:

Have you checked the battery in FOB 1, does this also happen with FOB2? :cool:

No it does not do it with FOB 2, The battery is only 4 months old, I will try replacing it but like I said it is not clicking like it is having a hard time decting it so I don't think that will be the problem. None the less, for a few bucks I will do that this morning.

I wonder if the system is designed to accept the fequencies from both FOB's in the car at the same time?

I am #1 FOB .... Ray is #2 ...... if he approaches the car first, the car takes his commands. If I get in on the passenger side with my FOB before he gets to the car, it will not read his settings. And wow does he look funny when the seats start moving him forward :lol:.

(As a side to GT - the FOB will read fine in your purse if you put it on the floor of the passenger side. If you have it in your purse and it is kind of against the seat area, it is out of reading range - that's why you're having problems.)

I am #1 FOB .... Ray is #2 ...... if he approaches the car first, the car takes his commands. If I get in on the passenger side with my FOB before he gets to the car, it will not read his settings. And wow does he look funny when the seats start moving him forward :lol:.

(As a side to GT - the FOB will read fine in your purse if you put it on the floor of the passenger side. If you have it in your purse and it is kind of against the seat area, it is out of reading range - that's why you're having problems.)

Good point as I usually put my purse on the passenger seat when I am alone, thanks.

I did read in the owners manual that if it detects both FOBs and has to decide it defaults to FOB 1 settings.

New battery, no change

I replaced the battery and it is still the same. I didn't think that was the problem as it dected the FOB fine, just not adjusting my seat and steering wheel automatically. I have manually adjusted it and tried to reset it a number of times by holding the seat button until it beeps etc.

So I had an brain spark :naughty: that perhaps a fuse is gone but it turns out that the fuse for that is also the fuse for the retractable hard-top and the top works just fine.

I guess I can't complain, this is the first real problem I have encountered that all my friends on this fourm can not help me solve! :rolleyes:

Well I guess it off to the dealer I go. :mad:

Have you considered reprogramming the fob using the method outlined in the owners manual?

:cool:

Have you considered reprogramming the fob using the method outlined in the owners manual?

:cool:

The FOB is recognized, it says FOB 1 in the DIC when I start the car so I did not think that is the problem. I am a bit concerned it may mess things up but it is already messed up ...... so what the heck! :willy_nilly:
:willy_nilly:
(oh look, syncronized Willy Nilly freakers :willy_nilly: ~;)

........OK, so my husband thinks I should not mess with it and contact the dealer before doing this. I will take both FOBs with me when I go.

FOB

Go into your DIC and see if the "auto recall" is set to the ON position for entrance and exit modes.

Problem solved!

Go into your DIC and see if the "auto recall" is set to the ON position for entrance and exit modes.

:pat::pat::pat::pat::pat::pat::pat::pat::pat::pat::pat:

OMG do I ever feel like a blonde! :chuckle

I have no idea how that happened but you were right, the Auto Recall was set to off. As I said before, it was working fine then it started acting up & I do NOT remember ever messing with the settings but..............:dunno:
Thanks Tyrone :love: once again my forum friends came through!

FOB

The change happens when you changed the battery, or when you disconnect the car battery or when the battery goes dead from lack of use. Had my seat module replaced last week and had the same problem. Simple stuff.

Glad it was an easy fix, Sandy. :rocker:

We have wonderful peeps here, don't we. :cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry