Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Nav Disc

Will a nav disc from another Cadillac model work in the XLR? I tried a nav disc from a 2008 Corvette but it wouldn't work.

Checked my disc this morning... couldn't see anything on it as far as vehicles it works on. Must have been on the celophane packaging. I will check when I get home and see if the celophane is still in the garbage bag in the house and let you know.:blinzel:

I just got an E-mail from GM Nav disc. Till June 19 $40 off the nav discs. But no new disc for the X's. It still comes up with part #25979939U which I think is Rev 8. (DARN!!)

Chad

I just ordered Version 8 (2009) on ebay. Does anyone know if there will be further updates from GM/Denso/Helms?

Bruce

I just ordered Version 8 (2009) on ebay. Does anyone know if there will be further updates from GM/Denso/Helms?

Bruce

The 2009 version GM NAV disc is the latest and last update available. GM will no longer support or produce new discs for our NAV system.

:cool:

Just received latest Nav dvd Ver. 8. Are there any special install instructions other than "tilt, remove old, install new and tilt" If not, the "latest" dvd is really out of date, even for 2007. Good ole GM - money first, customer satisfaction last. I'd know if they will ever learn - satisfied customers equal money.

Bruce

That's about all you have to do, don't be surprised if there isn't much of a difference from the previous version. It's ALL about $$$$!!!!

Agree. Like your vette. I'm a vette fan but thought the XLR would be more "old fart friendly" but GM is GM. I'm a founding member of CM. Wish I still had 74', 454 convertible, 4-speed, two top with a/c.

Are there any aftermarket nav/radio/computers that can be installed in-dash and replace the stock version?

Are there any aftermarket nav/radio/computers that can be installed in-dash and replace the stock version?

Ya, good question. I was wondering the same thing. If there is anything about my car that I think is less than stellar, it is the look of the display screen for the radio & Nav etc. :pukeface:
I would also much prefer a GPS driven system and not a disc driven system for navigation too. My son 2009 GM truck has a really nice looking display: same year as my XLR....go figure! :willy_nilly:

On another thought:
Since GM is no longer supporting our Nav system, I am wondering if I could copy my 2009 discs for those that need updated discs? I am not interested in selling them, just offering them from one friend to another. I wonder where the law stands on this whe a manufacturer no longer supports a system? :confused: If a metal part is no longer available and I unbolt mine and replicate it on a lathe and give it to someone am I infringing on a copyright? Perhaps I am opening up a can of worm that should not be opened!?!

Which Caddy's take the same disc as our "X's"? On the GMnavdisc.com, if you put in 2007 Caddy XLR. You get 2009 disc, part#25979939U. Which we all know is the newest (old) disc. But it says: part number 25979939U, XLR/ SRX/ Deville/ Seville. I put in 2007 SRX, thinking it would be the same as per the list from the XLR. But you get, part number 20940248, 2011 DTS/ SRX/ Avalanche/ Suburban. Does the 2007 SRX take a disc?

The disc can be copied, but it is not an easy task they are .iso files. You will need someone well versed in copying these types of files. :cool:

:
On another thought:
Since GM is no longer supporting our Nav system, I am wondering if I could copy my 2009 discs for those that need updated discs?

When I had my 2004 XLR, a member of the forum sent me their 2007 disc, when they got the newest version. The stock nav system is so bad, I still found it of no use. Updated maps are not the problem with this nav system, it's the lack of features on the system. I keep a Magellean in the glove box if I need it..

I'll do some replacement nav/radio research and post what I find.

I'll do some replacement nav/radio research and post what I find.

Suffice to say that many of us do not like the nav system. :( I would truly appreciate hearing what you find out about replacment systems, thanks!

Suffice to say that many of us do not like the nav system. :( I would truly appreciate hearing what you find out about replacment systems, thanks!

As Tom Hill pointed out at the National Corvette Homecoming - one of the biggest problems is that the Nav system is so integrated into the electronics of the car. The latest Corvettes still uses the same nav systems (I wonder if those discs get updated and if they are compatible with the XLR's nav system? :dunno:). Tom put it well when he said ... just think of the XLR's Nav system as an "Entertainment" system. I just don't think it is worth hundreds of dollars to try and find an "integrated" replacement system - a $120 GPS with LIFETIME Map Updates would probably be money well spent (and just keep it in the glovebox, like Casey does). IMHO. :cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom