Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Navigation / Voice Commands

bikemanbrad

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 black XLR
Can anyone tell me why I get no beep when I push the Voice button on the steering wheel.
Just can't figure out the navigation even after studying the manual.
Can't put in an address or even see a keyboard.
I guess something is wrong with it ?
I did click agree so it turned light blue.
Any tip would be greatly appreciated.
I'm assuming it's defective.
Figured out everything else in the car and all works fine but confused with the navigation.
Thank You Very Much, Brad

Yes, the manual says if no Map DVD is loaded and you push the voice button, a message will appear saying no DVD is loaded.

Have you tried ejecting the DVD to be sure there is one there?

I had to get off my lazyboy and go check, could not remember exactly where the Nav disc goes, been a long time since I removed it. You push the Tilt button on the bottom right of the nav/radio control panel. The screen will swing out of the way and the disc will eject automatically. Is there one?

Not home now but will try that.
I did hit tilt and the screen moved to seethe DVD slot but nothing came out.
The manual said if I tried the voice button on the wheel and no map DVD was in, it would show a big message window saying No DVD.

Not home now but will try that.
I did hit tilt and the screen moved to seethe DVD slot but nothing came out.
The manual said if I tried the voice button on the wheel and no map DVD was in, it would show a big message window saying No DVD.

If you dont have discs PM me, and it sounds like you don't. You 'tilt' the screen, it automatically ejects the DVD, you pull it out then push it back in and the door closes. Otherwise you tap the button or I believe you can just nudge the door and it swings back in place. Anyway, I have an 09 X that came with the last edition of nav discs that were finalized in 2008. GM has not updated them since. My son in law (my computer guru) copied them for me (they require some special program to copy) and made me extra sets. I thought I had a a couple sets with me here in Florida but apparently I sold them to someone at the 15th anniversary reunion in Bowling Green in September. However I do have some in Canada (same as the US sets) East and West discs: the only difference is the East set only has maps plus points of interest for the East and just maps for the west. Big deal they are rather out of date anyway but generally get you to where you want to go. BTW: I never even tried the voice commands. Let me know Bikemanbrad!

yes, I would think so.... Possibly the dvd is damaged??? I don't know a ton about the system either other than it was 'state of the art' in the early 2000's but now it is very old technology.

Like I said it generally will 'get you there' but I have spent a fair time 'apparently driving across a field' according to my nav system when driving on a newly built road. Compared to a Garmin that works great, has up to date maps, can connect via blue-tooth to your cell phone for up to date traffic conditions...... or for that matter I love my 'Waze' app on my cell phone, it is excellent and you get feedback from other drivers with 'on the scene' hazard reports.

Having said all that, it is nice to have all you stuff work as it should!

Hi and and Thank You..your patience and time is very appreciated.
Unfortunately I don't know how to reply to a PM.
I will check for the DVD tomorrow.
Yes, I have the owners manual and am used to everything with the car except the navigation.
Yes, I'm very familiar with the Battery Tenders having many due to owning 3 collector cars, now 4 , a daily driver and 4 motorcycles.
The XLR though I have to keep outdoors but will be one fun car that I can easily use in nice weather. My other convertible is blocked in by 3 bikes and two more are at rented garages 20 minutes away....so this one will be easy to use.

The nav system was out of date when the cars came off the assembly line. I had a hard drive Kenwood installed in one of my cars in 2008. From what I remember, you had to have perfect syntax commands for the Cadililac GPS/Nav to operate. In fact, it was too complicated for me to use when I had the unit in my XLR. Address input always worked for me. If you don't have an active screen for manual input, sounds like you have a bad reader or bad disc

Hi, I think you're right.
I now see that each time I tilted the screen, I didn't wait long enough to let the DVD come out.
This time I did and put it back in but when I got the Voice button on the wheel, the screen says to insert the map DVD.
I guess the player isn't working.
You mentioned a bad disc...is that possible ?
Thanks, Brad

Only way to be sure its' the disc is to try it in another XLR or maybe a same model year SRX. But I'm betting its the DVD reader in the Nav unit

I'm sorry but you lost me....if I try another DVD movie and it works then just the map DVD is bad I thought and the car is fine ?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom