Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

What I did while my XLR is in the shop

Phrede

Seasoned Member
Planning and spending on mods! I can't drive her so I dream of solving some of my "wish list" items.

I investigated a replacement head unit and decided against it as it looked to be a major hassle and did not have a good finished look, in my opinion.

A Kuda phone mount and phone holder for my Galaxy 3 Android phone with GPS and bluetooth. Using a ProClip swivel. This will put the phone just to the right of the radio and solve the poor GPS/Mapping issue. It will also allow me to upgrade as technology advances.

Costar Blustar bluetooth interface. This will replace the OnStar and allow auto muting and handsfree phone calls. It may or may not put voice navigation thru the existing audio system. CoStar is promising an update that will make this happen for sure (A2DP) this summer. I know how updates go so it may happen.

Coastal Tech lock-pick with a 160GB IPOD in lieu of XM. Some question the longevity of XM. My XM fades more than I like. I am only interested in music. XM would not offer me a lifetime subscription like I have from Sirius in other vehicles.

Adding the "moving sensor switch" hack so that I, check that, my co-pilot can enter a destination while rolling.

Adding a WindRestrictor with custom graphics for bling and maybe reducing wind noise enough for a phone call at slow speeds. Maybe, maybe not. Adding the brake light module,too.

Hopefully I will be able to:

Make handsfree calls using my blutooth phone and voice dialing.

Create a nav. route on my PC, send it to my phone and have good mapping and navigation.

Be able to see the nav screen with my sunglasses on, even though it is smaller.

I keep the DSP of the audio system and the "factory fit". All of the steering wheel switch still work.

Have nearly limitless music with playlists and without a monthly fee or loss when there is a hill or building to the south or in a tunnel.

I loose OnStar and XM. The only thing they really offer me is an automatic call for help if I am in a crash and am "lights out".

Not being able to see the Entertainment system screen with my sunglasses on without tilting my head is not fixed.

Remote start is next on my list.

I can't drive her so I dream of solving some of my "wish list" items....
.....Some question the longevity of XM. My XM fades more than I like. I am only interested in music. XM would not offer me a lifetime subscription like I have from Sirius in other vehicles.

Phred, sounds like you have been really busy. Makes me tired just thinking about your wish list.

FYI- I was offered a lifetime XM subscription for my used 2008 XLR that I agreed to accept. It was pricey but if I can stay alive the next 4 years and not destroy the XLR it will probably look like a good deal.... that hopefully gets better and better with age. They told me that the lifetime deal can be switched to any replacement radio if the one currently in the XLR goes bad.

You may want to check into that if lifetime XM is your preference.

Steve

Phred, sounds like you have been really busy. Makes me tired just thinking about your wish list.

FYI- I was offered a lifetime XM subscription for my used 2008 XLR that I agreed to accept. It was pricey but if I can stay alive the next 4 years and not destroy the XLR it will probably look like a good deal.... that hopefully gets better and better with age. They told me that the lifetime deal can be switched to any replacement radio if the one currently in the XLR goes bad.

You may want to check into that if lifetime XM is your preference.

Steve

How long ago was that? I was on the fence between a lifetime subscription and the IPOD route. I called to inquire about it since it is not on their web site as an option. I was firmly told it was not an option.

I guess it's a moot point now for me since I have purchased the IPOD and interface. It may help someone else though.

I to have the lifetime XM And i wouldnt trade it for anything With So much to pick from i cant see the need or want for anything else. The only time mine will fade is tall mountain passes or long tunnels. As for the Nav it has never let me down and always got me to my destenation and is easy to work. I would like to input while in motion and will take care of that shortley. I dont feel the need to talk so much while driveing. I love the experience of the road and the car. I think to many people are tech straped these days and for some the cell phone is almost a surgical extension of their arm ( to bad ) Some have become slaves to them That what voice mail is for ! My time is just as important as theres. We are only here for a short time Enjoy the ride !

I to have the lifetime XM And i wouldnt trade it for anything With So much to pick from i cant see the need or want for anything else. The only time mine will fade is tall mountain passes or long tunnels. As for the Nav it has never let me down and always got me to my destenation and is easy to work. I would like to input while in motion and will take care of that shortley. I dont feel the need to talk so much while driveing. I love the experience of the road and the car. I think to many people are tech straped these days and for some the cell phone is almost a surgical extension of their arm ( to bad ) Some have become slaves to them That what voice mail is for ! My time is just as important as theres. We are only here for a short time Enjoy the ride !

Just think of the money you could save if you didn't have a cell phone at all? Then you would never have to worry about ever getting a call.

One of my reasons for having a cell phone is so that people can get in touch with me in the event of an emergency. I do not like the fact that when I am driving this car I am totally disconnected. Some calls are that important.

My XM fades every time I drive the car. Maybe it has to do with the difference in topography in our areas. That may also explain why the NAV system is lacking for me as well. It is confused quite a bit on the back roads. I can not rely on it.

How long ago was that? I was on the fence between a lifetime subscription and the IPOD route. I called to inquire about it since it is not on their web site as an option. I was firmly told it was not an option.

I guess it's a moot point now for me...It may help someone else though.

I signed up for the lifetime XM in my XLR at the end of January 2011. I just called them to activate another vehicle and confirmed the status re: my XLR.
All good, confirmed as having a lifetime activation for XM.

I also inquired if that is available to everyone or if I got some unusual deal. I was told it was not a special deal and anyone can obtain a lifetime XM subscription. However, it is pricey.....thus the XLR is the only vehicle I have signed up this way. I don't ever foresee giving up the XLR so this may pay off in time

Steve

I signed up for the lifetime XM in my XLR at the end of January 2011. I just called them to activate another vehicle and confirmed the status re: my XLR.
All good, confirmed as having a lifetime activation for XM.

I also inquired if that is available to everyone or if I got some unusual deal. I was told it was not a special deal and anyone can obtain a lifetime XM subscription. However, it is pricey.....thus the XLR is the only vehicle I have signed up this way. I don't ever foresee giving up the XLR so this may pay off in time

Steve

Thanks for the info. It is typical of today's customer service where there are different stories given. They lost a sale because of it. I plan on keeping the XLR for a long time and could have justified the high price. That is if the dealer can ever get it out of their shop, a different story.

Because I was told it was not available I went a different route and can not turn back now.

It is still good information to know.

I have to AGREE with you Ted ... I used to love my cell phone ... but now I find I leave it home/dead battery/in other purse, etc. most of the time. I much prefer talking on my landline and when I am home and have the time to actually talk to the person who calls. I'm very careless with it which I suspect is being a little passive-agressive. We still pay for XM - I like it a lot ... Ray has his 'favorites' and I have mine - our deal is that the driver gets to choose the programming. Needless to say, I spend a lot of time listening to the 50's channel than anything resembling classics ... :pat: For my DD I still listen to my favorite CD's ....
We have it in both the XLR and the Escalade ... it's only like 80 bucks for 3 months ...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom