Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New guy about to start the search!

steve's XLR

My XLR/V(s)
2004 satin nickel XLR
Hello everyone, my name is Steve. I live in Nebraska where you almost never see XLR's. Im fifty years old and feel i deserve the sweetest car on the planet I've loved these cars ever since they came out, to me it's the perfect blend of unique sporty class with a convertible top...I don't think anything compares out there. Anyway would love advice on 04 and 05's. Wondering if since 04 was the first year it might be something to avoid. Also since I would be purchasing the car with probably no warranty, should I just make sure all common problems have been fixed or upgraded? I plan to start my search this July and hope I can come across a solid car that is ready to be enjoyed. Any insight would be SO appreciated. I would also like to say thank you all for how much I've learned already.

Hello everyone, my name is Steve. I live in Nebraska where you almost never see XLR's. Im fifty years old and feel i deserve the sweetest car on the planet I've loved these cars ever since they came out, to me it's the perfect blend of unique sporty class with a convertible top...I don't think anything compares out there. Anyway would love advice on 04 and 05's. Wondering if since 04 was the first year it might be something to avoid. Also since I would be purchasing the car with probably no warranty, should I just make sure all common problems have been fixed or upgraded? I plan to start my search this July and hope I can come across a solid car that is ready to be enjoyed. Any insight would be SO appreciated. I would also like to say thank you all for how much I've learned already.

I had an 04 and now have an 06. I would recommend staying away from 04s if possible. You can search this site and see a lot of 04 issues that can get very expensive if not under warranty. I have not had a single issue with my 06.. You will see a ton of different opinions on the site, so take them all as just that.. Good luck with your search.

Myself, I would stick to '06 or newer, if at all possible. In '06, GM went to the six speed tranny instead of the 5 speed. I also think that the '06 and newer, most of the "bugs" had been worked out. JMHO
At any rate, good luck with your search...

I've loved these cars ever since they came out, ...I don't think anything compares out there. Anyway would love advice on 04 and 05's. Wondering if since 04 was the first year it might be something to avoid.

Steve,

If you liked the first XLRs perhaps a Neiman Marcus edition. It is very rare and a special version that will always be appreciated by those who know the history.

Cars for Sale: 2004 Cadillac XLR Roadster in Warrenton, VA 20186: Convertible Details - 319580867 - AutoTrader.com

However, I agree that 06s and newer are less likely to have any issue. Regardless, there is no normal issues on the older XLRs that can not be addressed. If the vehicle is well cared for it is likely the more common
matters have already been resolved.

Good Luck with your search!

Steve

Thanks for the advice

Makes sense to stick to 06 or newer, didn't know weather or not while fixing the bugs in the older models they may have upgraded their technology while doing so. Thank you again for your responses, you're good people.

If you buy from a Cadillac Dealer they can provide you with a history of any warranty or non warranty work done on the car if it has been with their dealership since new. If not, they should still be able to provide warranty issues info as that is all tracked via computer back to GM/Cadillac HQ. (at least it is here in Canada)

You will pay a bit more at a dealer but their 'certified Cadillac cars' have also seen an extensive service overhaul and a satisfaction warranty of sorts. (having said that there is one person on this forum that had serious trouble with their car and their dealer) Personally I did not truly get mine from a dealer per say, it was at a dealer in MO, I had in imported into Canada but my car has been problem free. :worship:

The 09's are the only cars that look different, all bearing the V style hood, different rear valance and exhaust tips, front valance, different grill and driving lights and the chrome side louvre on the rear edge of the front fender, plus all of them were Platinum versions: certain stuff now all included and not options. BUT the 09's are newer and therfore more expensive.

They are all fantastic and I know you will feel like you have arrived in automotive heaven :cool: when you are behind the wheel of YOUR XLR!

Good luck in your search: set your priority list and stick to it!

Thank you, of course funds will be a strong determining factor. I've been researching XLR's for a few years now and they are a must have car to me. That said, they still scare the hell out of me as repairs go. Wonder do you get to just enjoy it or do you find yourself worrying about what might go wrong next?

Thank you, of course funds will be a strong determining factor. I've been researching XLR's for a few years now and they are a must have car to me. That said, they still scare the hell out of me as repairs go. Wonder do you get to just enjoy it or do you find yourself worrying about what might go wrong next?

Steve - I was the same as you; once I saw the XLR, I HAD to have one. I once thought the XLR was far beyond my dreams - then a couple of years ago, started looking at vettes and saw the XLR's had dropped enough in value that I might be able to afford one. Well, the only ones I could afford were the higher mileage ones (but my other Cadillac had 140K on it, so mileage didn't scare me. I found one a few years ago with 130K on it. I've driven it for almost 3 years, put almost 40K on it and it has pretty much been problem free. For the most part, I don't think there are many of us that regret getting our XLR's (even the folks that have run into some major problems)... car repairs can happen with ANY car - but the joy you get when you drive YOUR Cadillac XLR it TOTALLY worth it - IMHO. I just LOVE my XLR - can't imagine EVER not owning one. Good luck in your search. :rocker:

Steve - I was the same as you; once I saw the XLR, I HAD to have one. I once thought the XLR was far beyond my dreams - then a couple of years ago, started looking at vettes and saw the XLR's had dropped enough in value that I might be able to afford one. Well, the only ones I could afford were the higher mileage ones (but my other Cadillac had 140K on it, so mileage didn't scare me. I found one a few years ago with 130K on it. I've driven it for almost 3 years, put almost 40K on it and it has pretty much been problem free. For the most part, I don't think there are many of us that regret getting our XLR's (even the folks that have run into some major problems)... car repairs can happen with ANY car - but the joy you get when you drive YOUR Cadillac XLR it TOTALLY worth it - IMHO. I just LOVE my XLR - can't imagine EVER not owning one. Good luck in your search. :rocker:
Thanks Dave, that sounds makes me feel much better. Waiting to pay off another vehicle before I can take the leap. It's really hard to wait!!

MT, not to pick the nits, but the 6-speed isn't in MY '06. I thought it came in '07. :dunno:

Tim

Myself, I would stick to '06 or newer, if at all possible. In '06, GM went to the six speed tranny instead of the 5 speed. I also think that the '06 and newer, most of the "bugs" had been worked out. JMHO
At any rate, good luck with your search...

BusaMan,

You are correct; the only '06 that had 6-speeds were the V's. It became standard on all '07 and up.

MT, not to pick the nits, but the 6-speed isn't in MY '06. I thought it came in '07. :dunno:

Tim

You will pay a bit more at a dealer but their 'certified Cadillac cars' have also seen an extensive service overhaul and a satisfaction warranty of sorts.

Be very careful about considering a GM certified car. The advantage is that you get what is effectively a full factory warranty for a total of 100k miles and 72 months from the original in-service date. The disadvantage is that once past the original 48 month/50K factory warranty expire, Gm will refuse to sell you any further coverage. If you buy a non-certified car that is within factory warranty you can buy 4 years *additional* gmpp coverage.

If you aren't already a Cadillac customer, I strongly recommend you go and build a relationship with a local dealer now, even if you don't buy a car from them eventually. Sales may be willing to look around for cars for you. If the service manager expects you to be bringing your XLR to them for service, you may find them willing to look up full service histories on any cars you are considering -- after all, they would prefer you buy one that does not have a history of problem after problem.

Repair worries

Another advantage to purchasing a car from a Cadillac dealer is that most dealers offer "extended warranties" that can be purchased through them. When I purchased my 2005 three years ago, it only had 8,000 miles on it, but the GM Factory Warranty was expired. It had been sold new at that dealership, was always serviced at the dealership and was absolutely as new.

I was able to purchase a 5 year/50,000 mile warranty for a very reasonable price (the price on these warranties are negotiable). My extended warranty covers EVERYTHING with the sole exception of the Adaptive Cruise Control. It covers all fluids required as the result of a repair, as well.

For ME, it took the worry out of buying a car that is as technically advanced as the XLR is. I have had one issue come up in the last 3 years and the Extended Warranty covered everything less my $100 deductible. When I went to pick my car up, I paid the $100 and was on my way. All the other issues were between the E/W Company and the dealership.

Based on my experience, I would not shy away from a nice 2005 if you find the one you like, as I have had only the one issue with mine. Then again, my car had exceptional care and was super-low mileage.

There are still XLRs "coming off lease" and are available to the dealers. I agree that you should find a local dealer that you can work with and have complete confidence in. If you do that, they can help you find a good car. You might want to check into which E/W Companies you dealer recommends as well.

Good luck to you and hope you find the XLR to make your heart sing!

What color or colors are you most interested in?

Thanks for your thoughts, it is reassuring. I figure when the time comes I will hopefully run across something at a Cadillac dealership or private owner with access to all records and fixes. I hope I can find enough information on whatever year it is to feel some comfort whith a purchase. Still nerve racking with all the issues possible but I can't seem to steer myself away from these cars. My somewhat restricting favorite colors are Thunder gray, silver, and the blue steel is really growing on me. Thanks for asking....and hope you are enjoying yours!

Thanks for your thoughts, it is reassuring. I figure when the time comes I will hopefully run across something at a Cadillac dealership or private owner with access to all records and fixes. I hope I can find enough information on whatever year it is to feel some comfort whith a purchase. Still nerve racking with all the issues possible but I can't seem to steer myself away from these cars. My somewhat restricting favorite colors are Thunder gray, silver, and the blue steel is really growing on me. Thanks for asking....and hope you are enjoying yours!

When you are ready to look, let me know. I'm going to get a 2009 at some point and sell my 2006. You can check it out at that time and see if you have any interest in it.

Hey Steve great to have another member. I really wouldn't worry about any year you run into. I would just research that particular car. Do a carfax, try to get service records and if giving the vin on this site a member can run it to get service records. I purchased a 04 with 5,000 on her checked to make sure all the updates were done. you can worry yourself to death but would think previous owners have worked the kinks out. I also did a little research on extended warranties I was able to pick one up from my credit union 72 months or 90,000 for 1700. Good luck finding a thunder gray they only produced like 275 of them total. That was my first choice but found mileages were to high for me. Someone might have the one sitting in a garage somewhere? I picked the xenon blue. I believe all the color options are great colors they all have their thing. Good luck take you time not bad idea to ask members I believe majority really care for their car like babies.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom