Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

new owner, new member

CanadianViking

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR
Just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself as a new XLR owner and a new member here. I picked up a 2004 XLR on December 24th - my first Cadillac but not my first roadster having previously owned a AMG SL500. The car looks to be in great condition with only 63,000km on it, but I will know more once I get it into a local Cadillac dealer for a full inspection & service. I actually picked the car up at such a good price (no body is buying roadsters in the middle of winter in Alberta!) that I won't mind if I need to put some money back into it. I saw a mostly complete set of maintenance records so there shouldn't be too many surprises, but I do see that the headlamps need to be replaced so that's a couple grand right there. I want to make some esthetic changes to it and upgrade the brakes, wheels and tires. My intent is to use this as my daily driver during spring, summer and fall.

I'm likely going to initially post at both XLR forums until I get a feel for both and decide on which feels best.

Cheers,

CanadianViking

WELCOME to the forum... you should think about making the trip to Montana in June for our drive. Read more about it on the "Events" forum under the "Montana XLR drive 2013" thread. I, personally, have not even been on the other forum since I've found this one...

the Montana ride sounds like fun, and would only be a short ride down from Calgary. Unfortunately, I'm leaving for London on June 5th for a bit of a European vacation.

the Montana ride sounds like fun, and would only be a short ride down from Calgary. Unfortunately, I'm leaving for London on June 5th for a bit of a European vacation.

London is on my bucket list of places to visit... hope you have a FANTASTIC European vacation; sounds like fun.

Welcome and congratulations on your purchase. You will enjoy it I'm sure. You've found the best XLR site right here with tons of information at your disposal and many members to answer your questions.

Welcome, and enjoy your XLR. This is the best forum for info and help. Before anything, check the area in your trunk for water accumulation. It is in the left of trunk, under the carpet, towards the bumper. There is a receptacle where the designers placed 2 computers and the power top motor, it is prone to clogging and filling with water. Very bad. Read my thread, or any of several others on this. Seriously, stop reading this post right now and go check your trunk. I'll wait here...
Okay, you're back. I hope your trunk is dry. Make a point of checking that occasionally, especially if the car gets wet.
Headlights will be pricey to replace, but will look so much nicer. Look for a good used set.
Bruce

Welcome and hope you have as much "topdown" fun time as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to another Canadian! There are a few Canuks in this group but it is always nice to welcome another Canadian to the group! Too bad you are already booked elsewhere during the Montana run; great opportunity to meet the great people on this forum.
Sandy & Steve, Ontario

BTW Like your icon!

WELCOME

:blinzel: CanadianViking :blinzel: This is the best XLR forum on the internet your going to LOVE it here! I had what they call crazing on the driving lights (Looked like they melted and cracked) also when I bought my 05 XLR so the first thing I did was took it to my local Cadillac dealer here in south central PA and I talked to owner and told them I thought something like that would be a recall. Well they checked it was not but he said he see what he could do! It ended up that total replacement with brand new whole light units was a grand each and plus installation I believe it would of cost around $2500.00. Well I guess they really wanted me as a regular customer because they then offered to replace them for $500.00. So I got lucky there! I also made sure I had comprehensive insurance which cover glass breakage, the windshield was very pitted lucky me on the way to work one morning a stone hit it, I thought it hit the paint because I did not see the chip until about a week later when the crack started going up the from the stone chip. BTW they cost $1700.00 to replace with out insurance! My (Roxy) is a daily driver too even in the winter when weather permits, But no salted road or snow will she see. Hope you really enjoy your XLR! Don't think I have ever heard anyone say they didn't like theirs. Well welcome here again and happy topless cruzin when weather changes! :wave:

thats some good advise about the glass insurance. I actually didn't go for full glass coverage, but I'll call in and add it.

thats some good advise about the glass insurance. I actually didn't go for full glass coverage, but I'll call in and add it.

Good ideal most don't know this but also if you hit a deer your main ins. Don't cover the damages for vehicle or glass either and some other incidents! It's best to ask your Ins. Co. If your not sure and want full coverage! :dunno: :wave:

New Canadian Member

Hi Everyone,

I am also a new Canadian member to this forum. I *will have a 2004 XLR with about 20,000 miles/33,000 km on it in a couple months. It is in Florida right now and I will be driving it back. They car is pretty much brand new, except for 1 reason or another the CD player does not work. I've been looking at upgrading the radio etc but I can't find much information about what works and what doesn't. For example, I've run across some that say their cruise control doesn't work after they've put aftermarket equipment in....If anyone can shed light on this issue and the difficulty/ease of using aftermarket components I'd appreciate it. I don't want to change anything if I'm going to lose any functionality (with the exception of Onstar, which I could care less about)

Also, I know about the battery issues (constant drain) so I was looking at a battery tender or something similar as the car will be off the road for roughly 6 months here.

Anyway I'm looking forward to learning a lot in the months to come and having a lot of fun.

Cheers,

Hi Everyone,

I am also a new Canadian member to this forum. I *will have a 2004 XLR with about 20,000 miles/33,000 km on it in a couple months. It is in Florida right now and I will be driving it back. They car is pretty much brand new, except for 1 reason or another the CD player does not work. I've been looking at upgrading the radio etc but I can't find much information about what works and what doesn't. For example, I've run across some that say their cruise control doesn't work after they've put aftermarket equipment in....If anyone can shed light on this issue and the difficulty/ease of using aftermarket components I'd appreciate it. I don't want to change anything if I'm going to lose any functionality (with the exception of Onstar, which I could care less about)

Also, I know about the battery issues (constant drain) so I was looking at a battery tender or something similar as the car will be off the road for roughly 6 months here.

Anyway I'm looking forward to learning a lot in the months to come and having a lot of fun.

Cheers,

Congrats on the 2004 XLR and welcome aboard! :blinzel:

MasterGCAN - welcome to the community! I'm new here also but I can honestly say its a great group and the best XLR forum on the 'net.

Glass insurance? Is this just for the headlights or the windshield too.

Hi Everyone,

Cheers,

WECOME to the forum. I don't believer you can find more helpful peeps on the internet as are on this forum.
As far as upgrading the radio, etc., I don't think anything has been found that won't affect something else on the XLR. It seems everything on these cars is wired together. Of course, someone with more experience with this should post soon.
And yes, it's a great idea to get a battery tender, I use the Schumacher 1.5A maintainer available at Walmart for around $20 here in Montana; works fantastic, when the battery drops, it kicks in and brings it back up to full charge...

Welcome to the forum: I also a new member. I got my 2004 xlr crimson pearl red with 13,500 miles on her in December of 2012. By the way what color is your? :wave:

Hi Everyone,

Cheers,

:blinzel: WELCOME :blinzel: To you also MasterGCAN I just love to see all these new member that are getting themselves into XLR's you guys are going to fall in love :love: with your XLR and this forum. If you got question the members on here got answers. I swear the XLR is like addictions (at least to me ) so stick around you will fit right in with rest of us XLR nuts!!! :chuckle :wave:

Glass insurance? Is this just for the headlights or the windshield too.

Hawkeye you may want to check with your insurance company as to how your coverage works, But I know here in PA if you do not carry the Comprehensive coverage (and it's really cheap here) on your vehicle and let say you hit a deer you may find you have no coverage to repair it and it covers all glass. I had a Subaru wagon years ago that got vandalize while broke down along the road, they broke some of the glass out. Well ever since that ordeal I carry the comprehensive coverage on all my vehicles. They told me that lucky I had the coverage or they would not of covered any of damage! So I would just take few minutes and call your insurance company and check it out! :wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom