Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Paint progress

Some of the details:

Done by Boitnotts' Custom in Fairfield, OH over 3.5 months and over 200 man hours. It required dis-assembly of the body panels. 2014_04_16--11_11_323664.jpg

Paint is a Candy Brandywine with a medium silver flake in the base that gives a lot of depth and changes based on light and angle.
Striping is variegated gold leaf with accent paint and 3D shadow under the candy coat.2014_04_16--11_10_233659.jpg The crest on the hood is gold and silver leaf over top of a shadowed V symbol, also under the candy coat.2014_04_16--11_09_493657.jpg

All the metal badges were removed and replaced by painted on with 3D/floating effects The V symbols were moved to be behind either the superimposed XLR on the trunk or the "supercharged" on the doors and can appear to float above the surface of the car.2014_05_12--18_03_423707.jpg2014_05_12--18_04_013708.jpg

The intent was to be something different, a little edgy but not too much. Something that causes you to discover different things as you move around the car. Saying more with less kind of thing to maintain the class that an XLR deserves. I'm finding out just how hard it is to photograph it showing the different features and true color. Lighting and angle are everything when looking at it now.

Looks good Fred love that pinstripe detail. Is the wreath on the hood suppose to b off center looks like it favors the driver side? Gotta love that new paint shine!

Looks good Fred love that pinstripe detail. Is the wreath on the hood suppose to b off center looks like it favors the driver side? Gotta love that new paint shine!

The wreath part does favor the driver's side. I was told it has to do with the shadowing and 3D effect. It's not intended to be a flat image.

I might have to take that idea of the pinstripping. I've gone to acouple shops asking about fixing the rock chips on the front bumper. I really want to reclear the entire car with a pearl clear coat. Maybe do some silver leafing with a engine turn effect. First guy quoted 8-10k for entire job,yikes! Looks great though now just gotta keep her shinning.

I might have to take that idea of the pinstripping. I've gone to acouple shops asking about fixing the rock chips on the front bumper. I really want to reclear the entire car with a pearl clear coat. Maybe do some silver leafing with a engine turn effect. First guy quoted 8-10k for entire job,yikes! Looks great though now just gotta keep her shinning.

Not sure how a new pearl and top coat would work with out using the correct base coat or putting it on top of the OEM clear. :dunno: I'm thinking that anything but a compatible clear only would require a new base coat. That's not to say that it couldn't be put on top of a good and well prepared existing paint but that the first layer would need to be opaque.

That sort of leads to a point of discussion about the OEM paint. Many believe it is a Tri-coat process. Base--> translucent clear (pearlescent or candy coat, if you will) --> clear top coat. Others claim that Bowling Green Assembly Plant, is not set up to do a tri-coat process. I've been meaning to ask, but keep forgetting when I'm there. I know many in the aftermarket call it a tri-coat, including dealers. Maybe I'll ask some of my contacts there for a definitive answer. I even think I know someone in the paint shop.

I'm not claiming either way right now in this debate. It doesn't apply to me anymore, that I know. Many of my pieces were stripped of ALL coats whatever they were.

Looks great Fred!. Can't wait to see it in July at the Dublin show.

In regards to the tricoat, it confused me as well, but I do know on my '06 Infrared that the clearcoat is not clear. They used a tinted clearcoar. Maybe that is some of the confusion.

Hope you are getting a clear bra on the front of it to keep it pristine.

Looks great Fred!. Can't wait to see it in July at the Dublin show.

In regards to the tricoat, it confused me as well, but I do know on my '06 Infrared that the clearcoat is not clear. They used a tinted clearcoar. Maybe that is some of the confusion.

Hope you are getting a clear bra on the front of it to keep it pristine.

I am on the fence about the clear bra. But I have time to decide as it can not be done until fully cured, maybe over the winter??

Yes I heard several things abt the clear bra. It might be good to help keep bugs off. But I heard that rocks can still go through and chip the paint. Because the rocks are flying harder then the bugs. But I'm not 100% sure on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I heard several things abt the clear bra. It might be good to help keep bugs off. But I heard that rocks can still go through and chip the paint. Because the rocks are flying harder then the bugs. But I'm not 100% sure on that

My Xpel clear bra that I had before the repaint did help with small rocks. I have no doubt about it. I've seen it go thru the healing process. I can't say with other brands.

Of course, nothing is indestructible. If you get hit with 1.5 or 2" gravel at 75 MPH it's gonna' hurt.

3M has a clear type material they apply in sectioned pieces I checked with a guy up here just over the PA line in MD it was around $700 installed but I need to fix or repaint first before I'd spend that!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I know repaints are more sensitive to everything than the OEM paint, and if you've ever seen an installer pull off part of a clear bra after it's dried it looks like it's going to pull a piece of the car off! If you have breakthrough damage in only one small place they will have to rip off the entire surrounding section to replace it. We have 2 cars with clear bras & are facing that issue on both - the bra got cut by side hits on the fenders - maybe looks uglier than a chip as one is getting crud built up in it.

Although I'm thinking touch up paint isn't going to be an option for you either ...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom