Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Parking

Lola's Mom

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Raven
So .... is it a "guy thing?"
A little background: always Detail Guy and I have differed about where and how we park the cars. When I get to my destination, I pull in my spot and get out of the car. Done. When Ray drives, he, about 99% of the time, BACKS IN. I don't know ANY women who do that ... and what's the point? I know why Ray does it, but since I've seen lots of guys park that way, I'm wondering the reason.
Also, I'm really careful about choosing a spot to park Lola ... but, I swear Ray will park in BFE and we sometimes practically hike to the stores. :pat:

I always pull straight in and never park next to a 2-door car. Some parking lots don't allow you to back in.

A guy up the street from me backs into his driveway!!??:dunno::dunno:

Whatever floats your ship. . .

Floyd (BB)

I always pull straight in and never park next to a 2-door car. Some parking lots don't allow you to back in.

A guy up the street from me backs into his driveway!!??:dunno::dunno:

Whatever floats your ship. . .

Floyd (BB)
I always back in everywhere and drive Ingrid crazy looking for the right place.;)

Fred:wave:

Owners of older corvette Stingrays learned to back into parking spaces to protect the nose.

I don`t back in but, I park as far from the front door as I can where the wussess won`t park because " it`s too far away". I take up two parking stalls to avoid door dings. Besides, I get to look at my car all the way back across the parking lot when I return.

Since I am slightly disabled I have a handicap placard, but always look for the handicapped spaces that have zebra strips on each side and back in just for visibility (I live in the land of SUV's & Pickup Trucks) and clearance. I have come to find that some of my handicapped brethren (obese/overweight) are the worst when it comes to returning shopping carts, and will leave them right on the zebra stripes.:( If I can hobble over with a cane, they should be able to wobble over and return their carts. Please excuse my rant:willy_nilly: and hopefully I have not offended anyone.:cool:

I pull straight in I don't back in. I am like Ray though I will park a mile away and hike to the store as to not get dings. I always return my cart to the stalls they have I hate it when people just leave those carts out to ding people's cars.:pat:

I drive straight in, God forbid if I try to back in or paralel park. Not a good thing for me to do.:chuckle

I pull straight in I don't back in. I am like Ray though I will park a mile away and hike to the store as to not get dings. I always return my cart to the stalls they have I hate it when people just leave those carts out to ding people's cars.:pat:

I usually back in, it's a car guy thing for several reasons, easier to open the hood and show off the engine (not so much with the XLR and the trash can lid covering the motor), better curb clearance to the rear usually, looks cool, faster exit speeds, etc.
I usually scope an end spot, never next to someone unless their car is immaculate condition and worth at least as much as mine.
I ran to Home Depot with my son and his friend in one of my other cars and as we headed to the farthest spot from the door he was "like wassup with this, the store is like way over there (pointing way over towards the store, which was in fact pretty far away).
It backfired on Tracy once, fartest point from the store, all by herself, in Porter Ranch, the shopping cart had the full length of the lot to gain speed and zero in on her brand new car - taking out the drivers door dead center.
Bruce

I like to put it up on the curb.:laugh: Just ask Cubby.
Now any time Cubby notices curb rash on the wheels he'll say driving on the curbs again and I tell him must have been Bruce. :laugh::laugh::wave:

I asked him ....
Ray doesn't like activity going on in back of him so he always points the car so that he can get out the quickest (left over from his cop days) ... he said when he was writing his daily reports cops don't want anyone to approach them from the rear and catch them off guard. :squint: So they face out so that they can scope out what's going on.

He parks so far out that many times I tell him to drop me off at the doors and go park wherever - and he does every single thing every one of you posted - especially the end space thing. It's funny to see him park at our XLR events though. It's like the only place that he just pulls right in anywhere because he knows that no one is going to fling a door open. Kind of refreshing, y'know. :blinzel: Funny thing though .... it's not just Lola .... he's like that with ALL of our cars.

I asked him ....
Ray doesn't like activity going on in back of him so he always points the car so that he can get out the quickest (left over from his cop days) ... he said when he was writing his daily reports cops don't want anyone to approach them from the rear and catch them off guard. :squint: So they face out so that they can scope out what's going on.

He parks so far out that many times I tell him to drop me off at the doors and go park wherever - and he does every single thing every one of you posted - especially the end space thing. It's funny to see him park at our XLR events though. It's like the only place that he just pulls right in anywhere because he knows that no one is going to fling a door open. Kind of refreshing, y'know. :blinzel: Funny thing though .... it's not just Lola .... he's like that with ALL of our cars.

I'm the same with all of our cars. My sisters hate when I drive when we go shopping because of parking so far away. :D

Isn't it funny to how you will park so far out no matter what even if the weather is bad. But when the car is over 5 yrs or so you start getting closer and closer to the place you are visiting? Now why is that? You pay it off finally and then you don't care as much. Maybe with my new baby I won't do that! :D
I know that's how I am.
I'm the same with all of our cars. My sisters hate when I drive when we go shopping because of parking so far away. :D

Isn't it funny to how you will park so far out no matter what even if the weather is bad. But when the car is over 5 yrs or so you start getting closer and closer to the place you are visiting? Now why is that? You pay it off finally and then you don't care as much. Maybe with my new baby I won't do that! :D
I know that's how I am.
No I still park far away no matter the age. I am very picky about my cars and I get really mad if someone parks too close or if someone hits it with their door or a shopping cart. :D

Usually I do that too, but have not here in this past year and now I am relally bad because it is not going to be mine any more here in about 6 weeks. But that is bad of me, what can I say?? :rolleyes:
No I still park far away no matter the age. I am very picky about my cars and I get really mad if someone parks too close or if someone hits it with their door or a shopping cart. :D

What I hate is even though I park out in never, never land, when I return to the car, there is (more often than not) someone parked right next to me - usually a POS, even though there are spaces alot closer... I can never figure that one out.

I look for tandum empty spaces and pull into the one that lets me pull out without backing. I have the same problem with people parking next to me even when I park way out from the building. My girl friend says she alllways looks for a nice car (way out away from the building) to park next to, keeps her Sebering convert dent free. :ugh:

I posted on this thread last night but I guess it got lost in outer space. The only time I back in to park is when I get home and back into the garage. I do this so I have more room to open the car door and climb out. I drive in front first with the SRX. Little Bugger has two inches between the back bumper and a bookcase loaded with tools and three inches between the front bumper and the garage door when it is closed. Pretty tight fit but at least both fit in the garage and are safe from hail storms. When I am out and about I always park in handicap spaces and there is always plenty of room on each side so I don't get dings.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom