Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Question about tires

josua

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Raven Black xlr 2009 sts4
My ride has the michelin run flats on it. Rides like a dump truck. You feel every crack in the road. Living in Pa there's a lot of "cracks". I'm thinking about regular tires with a little compressor and plug kit. Has to ride better. Any suggestion? Brand, model? Opinions?

Are the tires the OEM from the factory? If so they are WAY beyond service life. 5 years is the service life of tires. I went with Pirelli tires and do not have to worry about a blow out. Carry a 12v pump and plugs for emergency.

Next tires will be regular ones. The car had brand new Michelin run flats when we bought it and they ride like a buckboard

A fantastic regular tire, looks great and drives great.
Goodyear Eagle.jpg

No thanks to the run flats!

Continental’s will work too, get a pump and some sealant to keep in the trunk!

I think any tire that fits the replacement is fine along with the pump and plugs.

Something to consider if on a extended road trip,,,,

I think any tire that fits the replacement is fine along with the pump and plugs.

Sure,,, the ride will be fine,, UNTIL the day when you have a blow-out at speed and the tire casing tears up a quarter panel with excess body damage.

We went with run-flat Bridgestone Drive Guard boots, and the ride quality is excellent. Peace of mind is worth the extra $$.

The pump and plugs are useless when this happens V V V
pipes002.jpg

The above runflat on a Corvette, went 110 miles driving 55mph without coming apart. I know because I followed that car all the way.....

=============================================================================================================

Flying Horse owner saved a lot of money on tires :ugh:

430_20090915_001.jpg

I'm happy with my
Bridgestone Drive Guard's also. Good mileage on them so far too.

The 2009 I have has the Bridgestone drive guards on it also, they were on the car when I bought it last year. I agree that the ride quality is very good on them for a run flat. I still would have no problem running a regular tire on my XLR. I have been driving since 1985, many miles in over 30 different vehicles all over the USA in different terrains and climates and have never had a catastrophic blowout even when driving hard on an autocross event. As with any manufactured product there is that 0.05% that will be defective, just hope you do not get it. My shop recently repaired a car that had a blowout like that on the right rear. It caused almost $3000 in damage and could have been prevented if the owners paid attention to the manufacture date on the tires and looked closely at the condition of the rubber. The car only had 19000 miles on it but it was a 2002 model and these were the original tires. They looked great with lots of tread a couple feet back but upon closer inspection you could see they were dry rotted and heavily cracked between all the tread. All tires have a date code that shows when they were manufactured on them. If you did not buy the tires always check that out. I do not believe a run flat tire will keep you from having a blowout like the one pictured above, it will however let you drive to someplace that can repair it.

Last edited:
A fantastic regular tire, looks great and drives great.
View attachment 8164
I have these tires on mine. Have put 15,000 miles on them. They handle speed, bumps, potholes and ride great. A hundred mph feels the same as 50. Very smooth tire and they never lose air.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

My Tire Two Cents

When I purchased Roxy in March of 2011.... she had worn out regular Goodyear Tires. I thought long and hard about new tires and decided to purchase the non run flats and to spend the big bucks $$$$...... after the purchase of Michelin Pilot Super Sports High-Performance Sportscar style, a 30k tire,.......they lasted maybe 25k! Not exactly the tire I thought they be! So this last tire I purchased was recommend by my local tire garage owner, another non runflat, he suggested trying the BF Goodrich Tire COMP 2 A/S. He had been at a Racing Tire Convention and had great results. Well long and bebold the BF Goodrich, again (NOT) runflats, were mounted and on the car, for only around $800 and they are 45k rated mile tire. I simply love them....she now rides and handles like a Cadillac......which I will never make that comment about the Michelin Tires. I did install the A/S style tire (All Season) which is a little more aggressive then need for a 3 season car, here in the Pennsylvannia area, as I don't drive her much here in the winter months. If you decide not buy run flats.... I'd recommend purchasing a good roadside service. I have AAA and 3 other roadside services!!!

as anyone changed the zsize to 255 /40/18 or do you just run the 235/50/ 18. Does not look like anything in a 245/18 is as tall as the 235/18

My ride has the michelin run flats on it. Rides like a dump truck. You feel every crack in the road. Living in Pa there's a lot of "cracks". I'm thinking about regular tires with a little compressor and plug kit. Has to ride better. Any suggestion? Brand, model? Opinions?
should have gotten an cadillac escalade or something if you want a smooth ride

or use on race track or pay to have the road paved

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry