Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Rear swaybar parts list '04-'09

I'm running 275/30/20's (Nitto 555r's) on mine, with the Z06 rear sway bar. I've run it hard through the twisties with no understeer issues. But those tires are like gumball & as wide as can fit on the car. I think that even with stock sized tires, the Z06 sway bar wouldn't be too aggressive.
Thanks for the input on the grease. It makes sense. I'm going to pull mine, clean the grease off & reinstall it. (I was advised to grease mine.)

Updated Sway Bar Part Numbers

Thought I would respond to this 'ancient' thread to point out that the parts indicated here, particularly the XLR-V sway bar, are no longer available. But in searching through this and other some other threads (thank-you) I discovered that you can use the Corvette sway bars as well, and I discovered there are 2 different sway bars available. I ordered through GM Parts Direct in Portland, OR and here are the different part numbers for those need to know--even though the parts manager swore they wouldn't fit, they work beautifully, easy bolt on.

I got the 'less aggresive' sway bar (15.2mm) and it is great no change to ride, is gloss black (so looks great on my Black XLR) but you need to ensure you have decent tires as although it handles better you can also break it loose a little easier as well--yes, the old girl can still shake her tail!

Anyway here are the part numbers for anyone interested (like us "Johnny Come Lately" New XLR Members):

The Sway Bars:

#10339124-23.2mm Sport/Ride (Color: ? I would assume Glass Black)
#20777535-15.2mm Soft/Ride (Gloss Black)

The Insulators are:

#15241135 Insulator 23.2mm Sport/Ride
#10436136 Insulator 15.2mm Soft/ Ride

Remaining Part needed for installation.

#25933429 Stabilizer Bar Bracket
#11516078 Bracket Nut
#20822934 Link
#11515775 Bolt

Direct from GM Parts Online: $254.41

Cheers all!

Last edited:
So I finally added the rear sway bar to my car. Did the sway bar and the Goodridge braided brake lines this week. I got the full sway bar kit from Big Daddy Caddy on Ebay for $270 with shipping. I was having a tough time finding the bar anywhere at the parts dealers. Bad news was while putting on the brake lines saw that the shocks are leaking badly so new shocks are ordered now and going on next week.

you would have gotten a lot better performance ride for a whole lot less money with the z06 bilsteins and simulators. You are paying for the upgraded shocks for the 08 model most likely but not getting the better ride if you have the older suspension module.

I haven't installed anything yet, and can return. The Part#s I purchased where AC-Delco 580-162 and 163 for rears and 580-161's for front. It's what I saw for 2005 base at GM Parts suppliers. If these are the 2008's and Bilsteins and simulators will work better, please let me know. Not to late for me to change everything out. Will pay the extra shipping to return for better ride. Thanks for the info.

Looked up the 2008 shocks and they are a different AC Delco part number, so think I got the right ones for 2004-5. I will research the info for the Bilsteins and simulators before doing anything, thanks

you would have gotten a lot better performance ride for a whole lot less money with the z06 bilsteins and simulators. You are paying for the upgraded shocks for the 08 model most likely but not getting the better ride if you have the older suspension module.

"Z06 Bilsteins & simulators"??? Are the Bilsteins magnetic? Or is that what the "simulator" does? Please elaborate.
Thanks!

the bilsteins are non magnetic .they are what the performance corvettes run. The simulators are about 150$ and turn off the computer lights that trick the computer that you are running no mag shocks. The 08 shocks work with the suspension module that is the only one available for all year cars / The 08 are the upgrade and just a while back was the only part number available from Ac/delco/ I will have to look but I have installed a couple of sets of 08 on early cars that had the new suspension module and no problems. Also I cannot tell any difference In ride in a stock 08 or an 05 even though GM said the 08s had an upgrade suspension. Never did find out what the upgrade was supposed to be. I buy z06 take offs when guys are going to coil overs and get them for about 500 a set with 3-6000 miles on them. That and the simulators are about what the front mag shocks are. If you want to keep the cushy floaty ride ,stick with the mag. If you want to feel like you are in control when you drive it, check out the change over

I'd always believed that going stiffer on rear sway bars leads further into oversteer, as opposed to understeer, as many posts on here have stated. By no means am I suggesting that any of these bars are going that far, but that's the theory: oversteer, where the rear loses grip before the front.

Most OEM set ups will tune suspension so that, once the limits are exceeded, the front end "pushes," which is understeer. The idea here is that understeer is easier for the everyday driver to recover from. Let off the gas and usually it stops.

Oversteer causes the rear end to lose grip first. Once that happens, many drivers will not be comfortable countersteering to avoid a spin-out (see Porsche, 911, older models).

The XLR does not seem to have nasty tendencies, due in part to the near 50-50 weight balance, part to decent suspension design and tuning and as a back-up, StabiliTrack. That last one can save your a$$. Turn it off at your discretion.

Most of us do not approach, let alone attempt to exceed what the platform is capable of, so I wouldn't place too much weight on the details. Just knowing that having a rear sway bar makes cornering one of these vehicles more enjoyable is enough for most of us.

Thanks for the updated parts list.

John B.

Couldn't Agree More...

John B.,

You went into the detail I didn't want to write...but that is exactly right, I just found with the less stiff sway bar (i.e., smaller diameter) I got better handling and kept the balance, I think this smaller bar is a nice balance between--as if the back gets too stiff you start to plow a bit, and I'm no farmer!

Enjoy.

I'd always believed that going stiffer on rear sway bars leads further into oversteer, as opposed to understeer, as many posts on here have stated. By no means am I suggesting that any of these bars are going that far, but that's the theory: oversteer, where the rear loses grip before the front.

Most OEM set ups will tune suspension so that, once the limits are exceeded, the front end "pushes," which is understeer. The idea here is that understeer is easier for the everyday driver to recover from. Let off the gas and usually it stops.

Oversteer causes the rear end to lose grip first. Once that happens, many drivers will not be comfortable countersteering to avoid a spin-out (see Porsche, 911, older models).

The XLR does not seem to have nasty tendencies, due in part to the near 50-50 weight balance, part to decent suspension design and tuning and as a back-up, StabiliTrack. That last one can save your a$$. Turn it off at your discretion.

Most of us do not approach, let alone attempt to exceed what the platform is capable of, so I wouldn't place too much weight on the details. Just knowing that having a rear sway bar makes cornering one of these vehicles more enjoyable is enough for most of us.

Thanks for the updated parts list.

John B.

Just ordered my parts from GMPartsdirect.com with a 5% discount code they provide. With shipping my total was $218.28. I went with the "skinny" bar.

John B.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back