Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Roof Down Latches not latching

Anthony Cundari

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
had a 2007 XLR for 5 years - unfortunately I moved on to newer technology
2010-07-31 Update Score 1 for 1 - retracting and storing the top on the first try with no hangup.
From the Cadillac service note: " ...found folding to position sensor not agreeing when in position. Sensor faulty. (Service writer told me it was a potentiometer. Makes sense). Replaced folding top position sensor. Recalibrated and programmed with latest sw. "
FP Number 19210515 Switch 14.483 That is all the detail that I can provide.

2007 XLR. I've experienced a problem with the "store the roof in the trunk" cycle not completing the cycle. It stops with the cover either still under the trunk lid or in place and the trunk lid in the air. If you reverse the cycle and put the top up, and then try again, it may finish the cycle. The car has been in the dealership several times but no codes and it didn't act up for them. When I started timing the cycle with the dash timer this weekend, I got a message "top is not secured" when I took my finger off the top down button. I found that there are two latches on the top that secure the top to the horizontal bar running across the trunk. When it wasn't secure, the latch wasn't latched and the top moved up and down. Not latching is the symptom. I set it up for videotape and got lucky and it acted up the first time. The 2nd try it latched and I have it all on DVD. Has anyone experienced this problem and know what the cause is or the adjustment that is needed to be made? Thanks for your help.

I was told by a Cadillac dealer tech before lowering the top to have both windows in the up position. Then press and hold the top button to start the cycle. This way everything starts in order.

Anthony,

Check this link: http://xlr-net.com/kb/questions/52/2004+-+2007+XLR+and+XLR-V%3A+Service+Bulletin%3A+XLR+Roof+Does+Not+Latch+At+Rear+Corners+In+Stowed+Position

You can take your car into the dealer and give them this document number and they will be able to correct it for you.

2007 XLR. I've experienced a problem with the "store the roof in the trunk" cycle not completing the cycle. It stops with the cover either still under the trunk lid or in place and the trunk lid in the air. If you reverse the cycle and put the top up, and then try again, it may finish the cycle. The car has been in the dealership several times but no codes and it didn't act up for them. When I started timing the cycle with the dash timer this weekend, I got a message "top is not secured" when I took my finger off the top down button. I found that there are two latches on the top that secure the top to the horizontal bar running across the trunk. When it wasn't secure, the latch wasn't latched and the top moved up and down. Not latching is the symptom. I set it up for videotape and got lucky and it acted up the first time. The 2nd try it latched and I have it all on DVD. Has anyone experienced this problem and know what the cause is or the adjustment that is needed to be made? Thanks for your help.

I was told by a Cadillac dealer tech before lowering the top to have both windows in the up position. Then press and hold the top button to start the cycle. This way everything starts in order.
Dear XLR Ed, Thanks for the input. I have experienced the problem quite a few times with the car just started and windows up. It happened a few times when the weather was cold and I put the top down (or tried to put it down). Once it warmed up, I could see the pattern and ruled myself out as the culprit - taking my finger off the button - what else did I control in the process?. I thought it was heat expansion throwing something out of tolerance as it happened on hot days and the car out in the sun. But, it has happened straight out of the garage.

Anthony,

Check this link: http://xlr-net.com/kb/questions/52/2004+-+2007+XLR+and+XLR-V%3A+Service+Bulletin%3A+XLR+Roof+Does+Not+Latch+At+Rear+Corners+In+Stowed+Position

You can take your car into the dealer and give them this document number and they will be able to correct it for you.
Dear Cubby558,
Thanks for the document reference. Makes sense that the latches are slightly out of adjustment and it latches sometimes and not other times. My video shows no movement of the latch mechanism when it doesn't latch. When it does latch, it is a slow movement of the latch to engage. The Cadillac Tech has already checked all the sensors and their "learning" of the positions. They will be getting the video and the doc #. Thanks. Anthony

Ed,

I don't believe this to be correct, the BCM and sensors work to know where everything is. If you read the document posted it is an alignment issue. I have owned two XLR's and have put the top down on both several times with the windows down and haven't had a problem.

I agree with Cubby on this also Ed. I put my top down all the time with the windows already down on my 08, and I've never had it miss a beat. Just my $0.02 worth.

It does't make a difference if the windows are up or down when operating the top.

Well it just goes to show you that you can't trust what the dealer tells you all the time.

Well it just goes to show you that you can't trust what the dealer tells you all the time.
Very true Ed. Probably an inexperienced tech who's just "guessing" at the problem. Bill

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom