Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Roof panel detached while driving

Mickeytee, it's alright to admit you're not correct about all things insurance. Sometimes they do the right thing.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Just be glad you have an adjuster that does not know the policy. It is an exclusion in all 50 states. I worked in underwriting when I was younger. Just do not make an issue if they charge you more at the shop when its done. if it get s a supervisor involved , haha he may know what is covered. You could say someone stole it but then you would have to file a police report. Its lost but that is not a auto coverage because of the way it was lost. HAHA, Grandad is living right to get this one covered

that would not work since they saw it the shop

He is on a grandfathered legacy insurance policy.. which does cover it. he has been with them quite a while. since the 80s I think

Last edited:
Mickeytee, it's alright to admit you're not correct about all things insurance. Sometimes they do the right thing.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
well lets put it this way. I am not incorrect about what is covered under the policy .I testify in court on Policy coverage about 8-10 times a year. Lets just say, Like I did that he is lucky. It does not matter if it is a new policy or one you have had for 80 years. The policies almost all in almost every state are controlled by the Dept of insurance and cover mostly the same things. Now you can get an all peril policy form some of the collector companies that cover almost anything. In this case, had they denied coverage for a "non covered loss", (A mechanical failure of the adhesive), and you wanted to sue, You would lose.

well lets put it this way. I am not incorrect about what is covered under the policy .I testify in court on Policy coverage about 8-10 times a year. Lets just say, Like I did that he is lucky. It does not matter if it is a new policy or one you have had for 80 years. The policies almost all in almost every state are controlled by the Dept of insurance and cover mostly the same things. Now you can get an all peril policy form some of the collector companies that cover almost anything. In this case, had they denied coverage for a "non covered loss", (A mechanical failure of the adhesive), and you wanted to sue, You would lose.
they covered it though

I think it was because the panel had damaged from scraping the ground . they did not pay for the adhesive though...

Last edited:
Question,,,,,

Quote: "I think it was because the panel had damaged from scraping the ground ........ they did not pay for the adhesive though... "

Did they use Gorilla Glue? :laugh:

j/kidding ,,,, Glad it was covered..... that had to be a nightmare :pat: :jaw:

Mine too!!!

Have alot of wind noise on the roof of mine also. Discovered that my roof is separating. Pried it apart a little and shot some silicone adhesive in it. Hope it helps.

You know, they glue together a lot of key structural parts of cars today to save weight - this kind of thing just with roof panels makes me kind of worry about how all that gluing is going to work out down the road .... :eek::eek:

was running up the highway this evening and heard the air whistling around my rearview mirror..
i only had to go one exit.. so when i got off the highway i got out and the front lip of the top is loose..
i had read this post a few yrs ago but i remember it well enough to know what the noise was..
so it will not be driving this on the highway until i can get it fixed..
its an 05

if anyone knows the type of epoxy glue that should be used to seal it.. please post it.
after i figure out what should be used to re secure it i will post..

fyi if you press on the center of the roof at the windshield you can see it move/flex. and the body panel shows to be raised above the rubber windshield gasket.

Roof comes off....

I'm posting this because after a long search online, I found nobody who had this issue, despite the Cadillac dealer telling me that this is a "common" problem.

This is my 05 XLR, it started to get some wind noise and I figured a seal had started to wear. Dealer looked at it and said the same and recommended a silicon product for the roof seal.

Then while driving down the highway at around 70mph, the roof panel flew off the car. Thankfully it didn't hit anyone or cause an accident.

So, make sure you get your wind noise checked. Apparently this was an issue with Corvettes around that time, but I've seen nothing on the XLR.

View attachment 4613
I read in my manual if u need to do a manual close of the roof there is a tool hidden on the passenger side somewhere, but one of the steps has you take the top panel off and put back on when you have the roof back closed in place. Now that would be the entire roof not just the skin. Your problem is very scary indeed. Would be interesting if there could be a recall after all this time. roid

I had the same issue last year. Took it to a body shop, they used the strongest glue they had and glued it back down and clamped it down. It had popped up enough that you could see a tiny crease where it contacted the frame while it was in the retracted position. Haven’t had an issue since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

report to cadillac

If you have had any issues with the roof on your 2005 XLR you need to make sure to contact Cadillac. they are looking into it but say there is not enough widespread claims to make a recall. So unless you report it and make sure you report it to
NHTSA so that it is on record. You can check to see if it is loose by just pressing on the outer edge and seeing if there is any movement.

i had read this post a few yrs ago but i remember it well enough to know what the noise was...

Haven't checked in here since I posted this over 4 years ago, but I'm glad at least someone saw my post and realized before it was too late! Unfortunately I have recently heard of a situation where allegedly one of these flew off and caused an accident and left someone seriously injured.

Looks like it's been happening more often - or at least being reported more - as these cars are getting older now. I've noticed many of these stories are occurring in Florida/Georgia which is where I am. Maybe the heat and humidity have something to do with the adhesive failing? Ended up selling the car a couple of years ago but we didn't have any issues with the roof after it was fixed.

Haven't checked in here since I posted this over 4 years ago, but I'm glad at least someone saw my post and realized before it was too late! Unfortunately I have recently heard of a situation where allegedly one of these flew off and caused an accident and left someone seriously injured.

Looks like it's been happening more often - or at least being reported more - as these cars are getting older now. I've noticed many of these stories are occurring in Florida/Georgia which is where I am. Maybe the heat and humidity have something to do with the adhesive failing? Ended up selling the car a couple of years ago but we didn't have any issues with the roof after it was fixed.

It happened after I sold my XLR to my father... We live in South Carolina. I was moving it back to my garage to avoid a terrible storm (he lives in an area which floods) and while traveling on the Interstate going at normal speed... next thing I heard was a WOOOSH and then felt a draft overhead. I was EXTREMELY lucky that nobody was behind me at the time and the top fell alongside the shoulder when I went back to look for it. We took it to the Cadillac dealership and found out there was additional damage causing the sensors, pump, and other parts to not work correctly. The top itself also needed to be fully replace due to the damage after it fell on the highway. They tried to replace the roof and additional parts but the insurance eventually totaled it after weeks of sitting there. To be honest, as much as I loved the car I'm glad it's out of the family. I just don't understand why they used adhesive instead of something else. :/

Chucktown,,,, Thank you for posting your story, and sad it had to happen to your father, after he bought the car from you.

Wonder what the Insurance company/salvage yard did with the car? Good parts car for others to buy parts off...

the whole car is basically glue (bonded I think is the correct term) to the frame. the inner fenders are glued to the body and frame . the two door parts inner and outer are glued to each other,, The inner and outer hood are glued together .Its a product that has worked well for 25-30 years so its just like some welds on newer jeep frames are failing , you can have product failure no matter what you use or how well its been tested. what color was your car and how long was it In Carolina. I would be interested if it had been in a shop with paint work being done on it at any time. I really see no way that the top blowing off would have caused other damage to the sensors unless it was In the rain and the same parts that fail on a lot of XLRS got wet. the top delaminating has nothing to do with the pump. Most likely the shop screwed up something in opening and closing it to remove the inner support of the top. that has happened to many on this forum.

There was definitely some type of screwup at the shop... we waited weeks for a response. Every time we thought they were done they said they needed more time. Unfortunately it was raining hard that day when it happened. :/ It was black and always stayed in Carolina.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom