Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Roof panel detached while driving

No! i love the car! i meant, if i would have found the problem before the loss, i would have fixed it. minor setback.

i had three corvettes at different times. the only two complaints i've had was, the stiff ride, and the rear tire noise on the freeway. the xlr solved both issues. and i still have a nice sporty car. i will say that if i keep having issues, i will go back to the vette. i love them also.

Roof ejection

My roof panel just blew off at around 70 mph as well, after hearing a slight air rush noise. Seems like this issue may be a common issue.

I don't know what it takes for GM to do something about it, but i think they should.

Wish there was a better way to test for this other than "wind noise," not sure I'd pick up on which noise means what. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm interested. Especially since based on the post of the person who caught this before the roof piece came off it's a not so expensive a fix at that point (without knowing whether it was done "right").

Based on the Corvette recall, I'm waiting for this to start pop up in XLR years after '05 (like ours! :eek:). Although Mike suggested it's just the car trying to tell us to keep the top down ...

I don't know that I'd consider this a common problem, with only four cases showing up on this forum, (haven't found any instance on other forums I belong to) on a vehicle of limited production of just over 16,000. Do not get me wrong, if I was one of these four, I'd be pi$$ed off and looking for answers too. This whole top was produced by a vendor (CTS) who deals with other car manufacturers besides GM. Maybe contacting them, could provide a solution to the limited problems so far. I always wash/wax my own cars and always check the cars over thoroughly, lights, brakes, tire pressure, weatherstripping, etc. I also don't have any wind noise, so to speak, so that would be an alert to me that something was amiss. I will also now, be sure to check any seams on the top when opening it to clean the rear glass.

Seeing that the four issues posted are older model years, '04,'05, maybe there was an issue on the assembly process that changed over the years or a different product being used to mate the top to the assembly.

After doing some searching, found that CTS Fahrzeug-Dachsysteme, the company making the top assembly was sold to Magna International in late 2005. Knowing that vehicle production on the XLR, in '04 & '05 were the two years of most production per year of the XLR's; I'd have to say all those tops came from the CTS company before the sale. There is no indication on a search of CTS or Magna International website of providing tops after 2005, however I remember them being in Bowling Green during the XLR production years. CTS Fahrzeug-Dachsysteme was a subsidiary Of Porsche. Getting any information out of GM, may be hard, as most from the XLR production years have probably moved on, as have most of the management at Bowling Green plant.

Hopefully some old this info is of help.

CTS

I don't know that I'd consider this a common problem, with only four cases showing up on this forum, (haven't found any instance on other forums I belong to) on a vehicle of limited production of just over 16,000. Do not get me wrong, if I was one of these four, I'd be pi$$ed off and looking for answers too. This whole top was produced by a vendor (CTS) who deals with other car manufacturers besides GM. Maybe contacting them, could provide a solution to the limited problems so far. I always wash/wax my own cars and always check the cars over thoroughly, lights, brakes, tire pressure, weatherstripping, etc. I also don't have any wind noise, so to speak, so that would be an alert to me that something was amiss. I will also now, be sure to check any seams on the top when opening it to clean the rear glass.

Seeing that the four issues posted are older model years, '04,'05, maybe there was an issue on the assembly process that changed over the years or a different product being used to mate the top to the assembly.

After doing some searching, found that CTS Fahrzeug-Dachsysteme, the company making the top assembly was sold to Magna International in late 2005. Knowing that vehicle production on the XLR, in '04 & '05 were the two years of most production per year of the XLR's; I'd have to say all those tops came from the CTS company before the sale. There is no indication on a search of CTS or Magna International website of providing tops after 2005, however I remember them being in Bowling Green during the XLR production years. CTS Fahrzeug-Dachsysteme was a subsidiary Of Porsche. Getting any information out of GM, may be hard, as most from the XLR production years have probably moved on, as have most of the management at Bowling Green plant.

Hopefully some old this info is of help.

That's interesting, there are numerous CTS part number labels on mine built 3/09.

I read on one of these posts, to open the top part way. then lift on the front of it to see if you have movement between the top and the frame. did you guys notice in my pictures, how little bonding agent was on my frame?

just a thought,,,,

Granted,,while not exactly the same, many early C6 Corvette Coupes (2005 - forward) with the roof panels had similar problems that GM called for a recall on to replace the removable roof panel..

All 2005's and 2006's Corvette coupes had the problem. It was a NHTSA recall - all panels were to be replaced

C6 painted roof panels, recall, coming unglued. - Corvette Forum

Subject: 05112D - Customer Satisfaction Program
Painted Roof Adhesive Separation
Vehicle Population and Service Procedure Revised
Message #: WIR20060318
SERVICE AND PARTS OPERATIONS
DCS1613
URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date: June 23, 2006

Subject: 05112D – Customer Satisfaction Program
Painted Roof Adhesive Separation
Vehicle Population and Service Procedure Revised

Models: 2005-2006 Chevrolet Corvette with Painted Roof

To: All Chevrolet Dealers

Attention: Service Manager, Parts Manager
and Warranty Administrator

Customer Satisfaction Program Bulletin 05112C was released on June 7, 2006 via GM Administrative Message WIR20060307.

This bulletin is being revised to include Z06 model vehicles. A new service procedure and labor time have also been added.

A copy of revised bulletin 05112D is attached below. Please review the new information immediately and discard all copies of bulletin 05112C.

The Service Information System (SI) version of this bulletin will be available on June 24, 2006.

GMVIS information for the additional vehicles will be available on June 24, 2006.

Last edited:
One would think that if it was happening to the vettes, that it might be possible on the xlr.

I need all of you guys this happen to. call GM support at (800) 630-2438 press 0 so it goes to a rep. this is BS they don't want to do anything about it, just because it hasn't happen enough times, or it hasn't killed anyone yet.

I didn't think the Corvette had a retractable top? I thought I read it was a removable top? Does it even resemble our XLR top and I wonder if the same company even assemble them? I also wonder if the 4 tops so far that we know of with this problem was maybe assembled and maybe put together by some different employees on the the line, maybe the person was out sick, on vacation or switched to another job position for a while, as if they missed something or missed a step during production like a seal, correct glue or whatever. I have an 05 which I purchased in 2011 with 53k she now has 94k that is mostly was driven for local car shows, but mainly for going on long trips at highway speeds and believe you me after this popped up on the forum I have intensely inspected it, I see no signs of it splitting, cracking or a gap of coming loose! In checking the registry there was 4387 built in 2004 and 4,190 built in 2005 that's a total of 8,577 XLR's out of that many cars I'd think there should've been a lot more failing tops if they all had this same issue!
But if you do own 04-05 I'd be damn well inspecting it or have it done by professional if you wish!
Cruz' on topless then you have no worry! Just my 2 pennies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I understand, things happen. doesn't make it ok. it still has GM on it. just saying.

not much difference,,,,

Question, quotes: "I didn't think the Corvette had a retractable top? I thought I read it was a removable top? Does it even resemble our XLR top and I wonder if the same company even assemble them?

Corvette's top is not retractable.....yes, removable panel similar to the XLR's front panel, so yes it resembles the XLR top in that area.
I would think that the same company made them both for GM, just my opinion.

Luke says to call GM to report your concerns .... good idea but more than likely to hit resistance. Maybe calling and reporting this possible dangerous situation to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration > Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) might strike more interest and investigation.

I remember that Chrysler had a model with a front, lower ball joint collapsing, and there were only four or five complaints/incidents reported. NHTSA investigated and made Chrysler recall all the units involved and replace the ball joints at fault. There is always 'hope'...

Bad roof panel

My roof became un-gluded that's what G M dealer told my. Wanted $3000.00 to fix. Bought the strongest epoxy I could find my friend and I glued it back down, so far so good. It held up in the car wash. But gotta tell you I'm a little nervous.

O M G,, again

My roof became un-gluded that's what G M dealer told my. Wanted $3000.00 to fix. Bought the strongest epoxy I could find my friend and I glued it back down, so far so good. It held up in the car wash. But gotta tell you I'm a little nervous.

I was hoping to never read another story about the 'roof panel' becoming unglued. Be thankful yours didn't take off into the wind while driving on a freeway :pat:

If this issue happened to our XLR,,,, it would get immediately detailed and sold,,,regardless of selling price. Unacceptable for GM not to be more concerned and to help those owners who ever face this condition. Its not like we bought a $13K Kia Soul .... where 'less' is expected. Sort of leaves a bad taste to read such nightmare stories.

For me, the scarce parts issue is an individual concern we all will have to deal with at some point, but a roof panel flying off a car at highway speeds is not just a concern for us, it's a safety issue for anyone traveling behind us. As these cars age, the adhesive weakens. These cars are so easy to drive fast it's bound to happen again and this sue happy society will come after the individual for a business decision that decided to use adhesive rather than nuts and bolts. We should collectively do a class action lawsuit against either Cadillac or the manufacturing company of these roofs. I'm leary about highway speeds now.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Your post makes it appear that you're more than willing to join the sue-happy society you seem to be condemning. (Just an observation, please correct me if I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.)

Filing (and winning) a class-action lawsuit against a major corporation is not something to be undertaken lightly.

You can't sue for something that might happen, or anti-gun advocates would have shut down gun manufacturers long ago. If, and when something major does happen, like a fatality or injury, then causality and subsequent liability must be established and proven.

Was there a crack that appeared prior to the separation that might have been detected? Maybe.

Has CTS (the company GM sub-contracted to that designed and produced the folding top) built a product with a faulty design or materials? Possibly.

Has anyone been injured or killed by a component that yielded? Not yet, as far as has been reported.

While disturbing and worthy of mention, unless these failures are reported to the NTHSA and an investigation proves a design or material fault is responsible instead of a couple of isolated failures (which GM would be required to respond to) the chances of anything tangible happening in a courtroom are minimal.

You can report any concerns here: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

If a part from your car fell off and struck a motorcyclist, it would probably be listed as a random event, and the insurance companies would deal with any litigation/compensation.

This is one of the main reasons drivers carry liability insurance. If the folding top contains built-in flaws, the insurance companies would likely be the parties going after the sub or prime contractor to recover monetary compensation, if it was concluded a design or material fault was to blame.

Getting the word out, (through forums like this) to encourage owners to periodically inspect the leading edge of their folding top upper panels is more useful than encouraging lawsuits.

It's easy to see the other side of the argument and ask, "Does someone need to get killed before a company is forced to deal with a problem?"

Sadly, in most cases, yes. Whether it's tires that explode, floor mats that slide forward, or ignition switches that inadvertently disable the ignition while driving, large companies often have to be forced to do the right thing after people have suffered.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Your post makes it appear that you're more than willing to join the sue-happy society you seem to be condemning. (Just an observation, please correct me if I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.)

Filing (and winning) a class-action lawsuit against a major corporation is not something to be undertaken lightly.

You can't sue for something that might happen, or anti-gun advocates would have shut down gun manufacturers long ago. If, and when something major does happen, like a fatality or injury, then causality and subsequent liability must be established and proven.

Was there a crack that appeared prior to the separation that might have been detected? Maybe.

Has CTS (the company GM sub-contracted to that designed and produced the folding top) built a product with a faulty design or materials? Possibly.

Has anyone been injured or killed by a component that yielded? Not yet, as far as has been reported.

While disturbing and worthy of mention, unless these failures are reported to the NTHSA and an investigation proves a design or material fault is responsible instead of a couple of isolated failures (which GM would be required to respond to) the chances of anything tangible happening in a courtroom are minimal.

You can report any concerns here: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

If a part from your car fell off and struck a motorcyclist, it would probably be listed as a random event, and the insurance companies would deal with any litigation/compensation.

This is one of the main reasons drivers carry liability insurance. If the folding top contains built-in flaws, the insurance companies would likely be the parties going after the sub or prime contractor to recover monetary compensation, if it was concluded a design or material fault was to blame.

Getting the word out, (through forums like this) to encourage owners to periodically inspect the leading edge of their folding top upper panels is more useful than encouraging lawsuits.

It's easy to see the other side of the argument and ask, "Does someone need to get killed before a company is forced to deal with a problem?"

Sadly, in most cases, yes. Whether it's tires that explode, floor mats that slide forward, or ignition switches that inadvertently disable the ignition while driving, large companies often have to be forced to do the right thing after people have suffered.

CC :wave:
You make lots of sense and great points. I applaud you for it. But first off, I'm not sue happy. I'm not looking to get paid for something that MAY happen. It doesn't matter to me about the cash value here. I'd like very much to see them take responsibility for acknowledging since it has happened to the few we know of, it can happen again. These cars ARE getting older. As I've stated, it's easy to drive these cars fast. Before reading about this I've had mine upwards of 100. They were made for speed and nowhere has it been stated the roof panels could leave the cars at highway speeds. So the first time it does and someone gets hurt or worse, then, yes the insurance company gets involved, but this could be prevented. The loss of whether life or other can be prevented by acknowledging and remedying. If you remember years back, Ford and Firestone went through this. Samsung is going through it now. GM went through it with ignitions. Toyota with airbags. I'm not talking about me or us getting paid for their mistake. I'm just wanting it acknowledged and possibly resolved before the consequences can happen. I have children and grandchildren on the road. You possibly also.

I as well as everyone else spent BIG MONEY for these cars. It has a great reputation with the exception of parts. I don't have the luxury of storing my car in a garage for the winter. This car will be driven during the winter months which means the roof will be UP... I guarantee you I'm not alone.

Believe me I don't want to argue with anyone on here about whether this is a good idea or not. Simply believe in prevention before consequence. Sorry for being so long winded.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back