Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Roof panel detached while driving

nicholas.brady

I'm posting this because after a long search online, I found nobody who had this issue, despite the Cadillac dealer telling me that this is a "common" problem.

This is my 05 XLR, it started to get some wind noise and I figured a seal had started to wear. Dealer looked at it and said the same and recommended a silicon product for the roof seal.

Then while driving down the highway at around 70mph, the roof panel flew off the car. Thankfully it didn't hit anyone or cause an accident.

So, make sure you get your wind noise checked. Apparently this was an issue with Corvettes around that time, but I've seen nothing on the XLR.

uploadfromtaptalk1412799176038.jpg

Yikes! Thanks for sharing that. Interesting to see what it looks like under there - but not a way that anyone would want to do it!

Wow, ejecto-rama! Glad it didn't turn out worse for you!

Despite what your dealer says, this is NOT a common XLR problem, otherwise the NTSB would be replying to your post - not me. This is the first time anyone has reported this type of issue online in any XLR forum. Obviously, the top section yielded - a close-up of the leading and side/corner edges would be interesting pictures to post. Were you able to recover the top panel?

As for convertible corvettes, they aren't even close enough in operation to compare, so whomever told you they were having the same issues was misinformed. A Google search should put that rumor to rest. (No TSB's have been issued for a top flying off either, just complaints of headliner separation, which is bad, but not hair-raising.)

Because it's a safety issue, I'd bring it to the attention of the Regional Service Rep and see if GM engineering is interested in getting involved.

Keep us informed please,

CC

Last edited:
Gee…..This is horrific and could easily be a catastrophic failure.
This should be investigated thoroughly because roof panels should never be leaving a car
at 70 mph.

Encourage you to notify NTSB, Dept of Transportation, GM, and Cadillac. The next member
may not be as lucky…… Just stunned that this could happen!

Steve

Think this is what is being talked about:

Re: Corvette/Z06 recall

Report Date : December 28, 2009 at 06:58 PM
NHTSA Campaign ID number : 09V491000

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
CHEVROLET / CORVETTE 2005-2007
CHEVROLET / CORVETTE Z06 2005-2006
Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: DEC 18, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V491000

Component: STRUCTURE:BODY:ROOF AND PILLARS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 22090

Summary:
GENERAL MOTORS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2005 THROUGH 2007 CORVETTE AND MODEL YEAR 2006-2007 CORVETTE Z06 EQUIPPED WITH A REMOVABLE ROOF. THE ADHESIVE BETWEEN THE ROOF PANEL AND THE FRAME MAY SEPARATE.
IF THERE IS A PARTIAL SEPARATION, THE DRIVER MAY NOTICE ONE OR MORE SYMPTOMS, SUCH AS A SNAPPING NOISE WHEN DRIVING OVER BUMPS, WIND NOISE, POOR ROOF PANEL FIT, ROOF PANEL MOVEMENT/BOUNCE WHEN A DOOR OR HATCH IS CLOSED, OR A WATER LEAK IN THE HEADLINER.

Consequence:
IF THERE IS A COMPLETE SEPARATION, THE ROOF PANEL MAY DETACH FROM THE VEHICLE. IF THIS WERE TO OCCUR WHILE THE VEHICLE WAS BEING DRIVEN, IT COULD STRIKE A FOLLOWING VEHICLE AND CAUSE INJURY AND/OR PROPERTY DAMAGE.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW DESIGN ROOF PANEL FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438 OR AT GM Owners Center - GM.

The repair guy at the dealer said he had seen this "a few times" - so perhaps common was too strong of a word.

I did recover the top panel. It flew off like a frisbee, but thankfully it only got a few small scratches. Didn't snap a picture of it. It's with the shop now being repaired.

And yes, that's what I referred to with the vette issue. But I couldn't find anyone online who had this issue with the xlr.

Hopefully if someone is getting wind noise they check it out before it becomes this. I got lucky that it didn't cause an accident.

Thanks for supplying the NTSB reference. I was able to find more info on the corvette forums. GM was/is fixing the tops, but the XLR hasn't gotten the visibility (yet) and this may be an isolated failure. CTS built the XLR tops (and supplies them for the Mercedes SL) so hopefully, this won't become more prevalent as the XLR ages.

CCC :wave:

Doubt that it is/will be a "problem" as the Corvette roof problem seemed to occur early in ownership
and was, perhaps, exacerbated by its suspension and high speed runs coupled with faulty materials
and/or design/installation problems.

I would have your local Cadillac dealer run a history on your vehicle, if you are not the original owner, and see if it was wrecked at one time or another and re-assembled. The complete roof assembly was assembled off site of the Bowling Green plant and shipped ready to install on the vehicle, so it wouldn't have been a BG plant error. It's also not a 'common" occurrence on the XLR, regardless of what your dealer says.

I'm posting this because after a long search online, I found nobody who had this issue, despite the Cadillac dealer telling me that this is a "common" problem.

This is my 05 XLR, it started to get some wind noise and I figured a seal had started to wear. Dealer looked at it and said the same and recommended a silicon product for the roof seal.

Then while driving down the highway at around 70mph, the roof panel flew off the car. Thankfully it didn't hit anyone or cause an accident.

So, make sure you get your wind noise checked. Apparently this was an issue with Corvettes around that time, but I've seen nothing on the XLR.

View attachment 4613

This kind a concerns me with mine being a 2005! But what I'am wondering is if you did not own this car from new, was this top removed or in a accident and not properly reinstall! Please keep us updated on this as you learn more about the outcome of what the cause may have been!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

WTH.....WOW.........

CAUTION: LOST in SPACE

WTH.....WOW.........

Exactly what I was thinking....

I did some hi-speed driving in Wyoming during July, and will be heading there again this weekend. With Wyoming's 80+mph limit,,,its easy to drive faster for long distances. I may need a dragshoot to slow me down if my roof panel were to eject.....and a new pair of underwear!

I also think the NTSB should be notified......somebody could get killed behind you if they are trying to avoid a flying roof. Who's paying for this repair.....Cadillac, you, or insurance?

Gizmo has tested his to 165 Mph and I have tested mine to 155 Mph with no problem so hopefully it was just a one off failure.

did you refinish the original top? or replace it?
if you have the old original and its just scuff damage, would you consider selling/giving it to me, i am looking at making a replacement shell out of carbon fiber...
would be a great way to reduce top weight, and load on the top mechanism.
from your pics, it is obvious that the top is basically just a clamshell, not to difficult to make exact replacement.
any pics of the underside of the top?
how is it snapped/bolted into place??

thx

Last edited:
Gizmo has tested his to 165 Mph and I have tested mine to 155 Mph with no problem so hopefully it was just a one off failure.

Yep an mine too hung on @ 130 mph [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Flying Roof

You said you took it to the dealer. Sounds like THEY caused the problem by removing panel and putting silicone on. This is not correct.

I had a top replaced on my 05 Corvette for this same problem. GM had a problem with their adhesive for a while.

You said you took it to the dealer. Sounds like THEY caused the problem by removing panel and putting silicone on. This is not correct.

New to this site...my wife's daily driver is a 2005 XLR, 134K on the clock...she mentioned to me that she was hearing wind noise from around the rear view mirror area, so I lifted the top halfway, sure enough, the top panel is loose in the middle and on one side. She will be taking it to the dealer on Wednesday. I am thinking of putting some 100 MPH tape on it now to ensure it doesn't go flying off...she has about a 26 mile commute to work, a lot of it at 70-80 interstate speed. Will be interesting to see what they want to do to fix it...I'll keep you informed.

New to this site...my wife's daily driver is a 2005 XLR, 134K on the clock...she mentioned to me that she was hearing wind noise from around the rear view mirror area, so I lifted the top halfway, sure enough, the top panel is loose in the middle and on one side. She will be taking it to the dealer on Wednesday. I am thinking of putting some 100 MPH tape on it now to ensure it doesn't go flying off...she has about a 26 mile commute to work, a lot of it at 70-80 interstate speed. Will be interesting to see what they want to do to fix it...I'll keep you informed.

100 MPH tape :thumbsup

Dealer was reluctant to remove the roof as it was only loose in the front...body shop mgr was afraid he would damage or destroy the top if he tried to remove it....so they have some sort of space age sealant that they put in there, let it stand for a few days....have had no issues, roof is still tight. So far so good!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom