Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Run flat tires

Check TireRack.com and in the search button type in the tire size followed by the wording, " run flat." I've been searching for a 19/20 combo but haven't found a matching pair. If you are looking for low profile you'll need to go up in size.

Examples:
28355_.jpg

28356_.jpg

Your signature says you have a 2007 XLR, so I am assuming you have the base model which has 18" wheels. Michelin has ZP (Zero Pressure tires) to meet your needs. Check this link: Pilot MXM4 | Michelin Tires If you are looking to go with a lower profile, you'll have to go to larger diameter wheels, as madcurl stated, to stay close to the original diameter or your speedo will be off on your actual speed.

Does any tire co make a low profile runflat tire?

I'm going to use 275/35/19 (F) and 275/35/20 P-Zero Perelli run flats. The ride will no doubt be rougher, but more grip in the corners. :lol:

opinions on run flats

So has anyone gone away from the run flats and ran normal tires? if so did you experience a better ride and performance? I am sure you get better mileage as the run flats mileage is horrible. I am looking at running regular tires instead of run flats ad would like any feedback from those of you who have

My 06 were changed when I bought the car. So I can't really tell the difference since I have never had them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So has anyone gone away from the run flats and ran normal tires? if so did you experience a better ride and performance? I am sure you get better mileage as the run flats mileage is horrible. I am looking at running regular tires instead of run flats ad would like any feedback from those of you who have

My first experience with run flats were on with the XLR. I could not wait to get rid of them and chucked them with many miles still left on them.

I've found that the non-runflat tires I replaced them with give better performance, cost less and provide a much better ride. I carry a cheap emergency compressor and plug gun. I also have emergency road service. The choice of available tire models is also much better when you stay away from run flats.

On thing I thought about when considering the change is that I have not had a flat tire on the road for decades. The worst thing that has happened is picking up a nail causing a slow leak that the TPMS indicated (different vehicle) way before it was critical.

I've switched to Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus, compressor, plug kit, and just in case, a can of Slime.
Ride and quiet are better, as is mileage.

It's also been a while since I had a flat -- about 1989 or so, when my 86 Corvette collected a drill bit driving through a construction area.

I'm also anti-run flat, but I have given it second thoughts after someone pointed out the risk of damage from a "fast flat" (even if it's not a blow out), especially to the front end. I haven't finished thinking about it but that will be in play when it's new tire time. I'd rather not deal with car damage, subject to guessing at risk vs. benefit.

I decided to go with High Performance 235/50 ZR18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Nitrogen filled tires. They are summer tread. It made such a difference in the the ride we thought we bought a different car :chuckle they had a mini compressor with slime gel kit in a GM case from when we bought it, but I purchased a plug kit too! And also AAA plus 2 other roadside services. :rocker:

I'm also anti-run flat, but I have given it second thoughts after someone pointed out the risk of damage from a "fast flat" (even if it's not a blow out), especially to the front end. I haven't finished thinking about it but that will be in play when it's new tire time. I'd rather not deal with car damage, subject to guessing at risk vs. benefit.

Bruce from the cady info forum has a sts-v with run flats and had a tire go bad, tread flew off, not sure it blew out but in any case it was runflats and had to be towed then had to find a tire to fit. Point being a run flat is not going to be any better than the next tire if it blows out or comes apart. I don't think I would let that idea keep me away from a different tire choice. I don't believe he reported any body damage, but I doubt runflat was the reason.

Thanks for the replies all, after all of the replies and other research I am going to go with non run flats.

Stock Goodyear Run Flats Discontinued

I have been warned several times that my original stock run flats need to be replaced soon or dire
consequences await….

Decided to simply replace with the same original stock run flat that came with my 2008 XLR: Goodyear; Eagle RSAs; P235 50ZR 18 97W.

After several weeks of looking, I am advised that these run flat tires have been discontinued by Goodyear.

Never-the-less a set were located for me in Louisiana and are on the way; however it took some searching.

I pass this on because it looks like XLR run flat options are narrowing. The Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 ZP tire
appears to be the most available. That was what my local Cadillac dealer was offering after their unsuccessful search
for stock replacement Goodyears.

Steve

I now have 12k miles on a set of (non run flat) Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. There's so little wear on them, they are close to new. I think the ride's more comfortable than it was with the RSAs, and that they are somewhat better in the wet as well.

I would check the build date on any tires that have been in inventory very long. I bought a set for my Allante and later found out they were 5 years old when I bought them. Dealers suggest replacing any that are 7 years old no matter what the mileage on them! I was shocked when the guy that bought the car from me said he replaced the tires due to age when they had less than 5000 miles on them.

My apologies in advance for piggy-backing this thread, but it is in the ball park...

I'm on the cusp of adding new rubber and am seeking final assurance that running 255/40/19's (rear stock size for V's) on the front as well will cause me no future issues relative to rubbing, cornering, handling, aligning, rotating, et al. I'm past the run-flat argument and will stick with the non's... Michelin this time (Pilot Sport A/S 3) versus the Pirelli's that were new at my purchase (P Zero Rosso's in stock fitment but non-run flat). Thanks!

My apologies in advance for piggy-backing this thread, but it is in the ball park...

I'm on the cusp of adding new rubber and am seeking final assurance that running 255/40/19's (rear stock size for V's) on the front as well will cause me no future issues relative to rubbing, cornering, handling, aligning, rotating, et al. I'm past the run-flat argument and will stick with the non's... Michelin this time (Pilot Sport A/S 3) versus the Pirelli's that were new at my purchase (P Zero Rosso's in stock fitment but non-run flat). Thanks!

I run 255/40-19 on all four corners with zero problems. I went with Bridgestone Potenza S04 and am pleased. I don't have a need for an all season tire like the Michelin you mentioned and go with summer only.

Last edited:

I'm running those exact tires on all 4 corners of mine: same brand/model/size. Excellent (!) handling, and no observed interference. I had all 4 wheels aligned, and they checked for interference when they installed them (Costco, w/ 31 psi nitrogen all around).

At the risk of being redundant, I had the chance to directly compare the 18" PZeroNero Pirelli's, 19" run-flats, and the 19" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 tires when I put the "V" wheels on my '06 Base XLR. The best ride for me was the stock higher profile 18" tires. On the same day, I changed to the 19" rims with the run-flats, and the ride was far (!) worse (at least on the maintenance-challenged roads in our community). After I got the A/S3's installed, the ride got quite good again, but the combination of the larger-diameter "V" rims, and the much lower profile tires, made the ride not quite as soft as the 18" regular tires. However, the wider "V" rims, and the much lower profile tires, made the handling wonderful. I'm thrilled with the change and will take the superior handling, at a very small comfort penalty, every time. Driving the "Palms to Pines Highway" up San Jacinto out of the Palm Springs area, really made me appreciate just how good the base XLR can be, when upgraded with the anti-sway bar and the "V" rims. Almost makes me want to put on a "g-suit" like the F-16 jocks. :laugh:

Think I'll make the drive again, tomorrow! :cool:

Tim

Run Flat Tires

When I purchased my 2008 XLR last September I went for a new set of 'Run Flat' (Extended Mobility Technology) in Good~Year parlance. P235/50ZR18 97W.They were eventually obtained in the USA.
I saved the 2 best tires, and was amazed at how heavy they are. The evil unsprung weight...!
They are the All Season tread pattern and feel very comfortable both in ride, and not having to worry about a flat.

Gord.

I have been warned several times that my original stock run flats need to be replaced soon or dire
consequences await….

Decided to simply replace with the same original stock run flat that came with my 2008 XLR: Goodyear; Eagle RSAs; P235 50ZR 18 97W.

After several weeks of looking, I am advised that these run flat tires have been discontinued by Goodyear.

Never-the-less a set were located for me in Louisiana and are on the way; however it took some searching.

I pass this on because it looks like XLR run flat options are narrowing. The Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 ZP tire
appears to be the most available. That was what my local Cadillac dealer was offering after their unsuccessful search
for stock replacement Goodyears.

Steve

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry