Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

"Service Ride Control" and top not working

kpg

My XLR/V(s)
2005 XLR Black (no V yet)
The "Service Ride Control" "Do Not Exceed 80 MPH" warning came on and the electronic ride control system has disabled all four shocks (as it is designed to do). It sure provides for an interesting ride. I feel like I'm driving an old Lincoln Town Car. The XLR almost floats.

At the same time, the top stopped working completely, although it worked prior without a any problem.

My uneducated assumption is that modules were damaged from water because this happened after it was parked in a very intense downpour, although I've never had problems with water before.

Are the two problems related in any way? Could both modules be damaged at the same time? Aren't they both located in the trunk?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is my module theory wrong?

Thanks for any input you may have!

Kevin

How old is your battery? Do you keep it on a Battery Tender? XLR's are notorious for going through batteries.....

A low battery can certainly cause the "Service Ride Control" message (my experience), and it may also screw with the top module.

I know it sounds crazy, but check it out. It's certainly your cheapest option.

The battery was replaced last fall. I wish it was the battery.

I know that I'll have to get it to Cadillac and have the codes checked out to get the final answer. But I would really like to have an idea as to what the cause may be beforehand.

Since I'm not too far from you, do you any opinions regarding any of the Cadillac dealers in the Cleveland area?

Yes, both Folding Top Control module and Suspension Control modules sit right next to each other in a well compartment at the rear/left corner of the trunk under the carpet. If exposed to water, they stand a pretty good chance of being crispy critters. Have you checked the drain in their compartment? There's a chance it's pinched shut or clogged. If so, the water will gradually rise in there until . . . you know what I mean.

Hopefully, your hydraulic pump isn't damaged. The two modules will run close to $800 from a dealer (you can buy them cheaper online.) The pump is closer to $1700 MSRP --not including a hefty amount of labor.

Good luck!

CC :wave:

Yes, both Folding Top Control module and Suspension Control modules sit right next to each other in a well compartment at the rear/left corner of the trunk under the carpet. If exposed to water, they stand a pretty good chance of being crispy critters. Have you checked the drain in their compartment? There's a chance it's pinched shut or clogged. If so, the water will gradually rise in there until . . . you know what I mean.

Hopefully, your hydraulic pump isn't damaged. The two modules will run close to $800 from a dealer (you can buy them cheaper online.) The pump is closer to $1700 MSRP --not including a hefty amount of labor.

Good luck!

CC :wave:

That's also a possibility, though I certainly hope not.

Central Cadillac in downtown Cleveland has always been my best source for service. I've tried the dealers in the surrounding suburbs, but the best techs are at Central.

Please let us know what the issue is.... and if the well in the trunk is full.

Ground

Check the ground wire in the right (passenger) rear wheel well. The stud attaches to the frame rail behind the tire. Make sure this ground is clean & tight.:wave:

Well, the cause of the problem has been found.

I got the trunk opened, and found the magnetic ride control and folding top modules soaking in about six inches of water, literally. I cleared the drain tube and the water poured out.

Although I'm not happy that it may cost me some money to replace the modules, I laugh at myself at the same time because I've read the threads on this site which have said, time and time again, to check the drain tubes! And did I do that?:pat:
If I'm lucky, maybe the modules will function again after drying out completely. The ride control module is still doing what it's supposed to do, at least as far as sending the signal advising of its status. The top module may be another story, as it acts as if it's truly dead. Time will tell. I'll let you know if either recovers.

Thanks to each of you for the tips! And.......check the drain tubes!!!

DAVE TOWELL IN CUYAHOGA FALLS HAS GOOD XLR TECHS. ALSO CLOSE TO GREEN.

DAVE

kpg,

I am so sorry to hear that...but I am very impressed at the knowledge on the Forum - guys like ccclark that can pick out the answer to a problem in a nanosecond.

Well, the cause of the problem has been found.

I got the trunk opened, and found the magnetic ride control and folding top modules soaking in about six inches of water, literally. I cleared the drain tube and the water poured out.

Although I'm not happy that it may cost me some money to replace the modules, I laugh at myself at the same time because I've read the threads on this site which have said, time and time again, to check the drain tubes! And did I do that?:pat:
If I'm lucky, maybe the modules will function again after drying out completely. The ride control module is still doing what it's supposed to do, at least as far as sending the signal advising of its status. The top module may be another story, as it acts as if it's truly dead. Time will tell. I'll let you know if either recovers.

Thanks to each of you for the tips! And.......check the drain tubes!!!

My question is: HOW is the water getting into those wells?? If you have a good trunk seal how is the water getting in there without your trunk getting soaked?

man, sorry to hear that. That's why I made the thread last month about checking the drain. Mine was clogged with a screw and washer.

Hey Kev,

Sorry to hear about the water issue. I just went thru the same problem and symptoms and lost both of those modules in that compartment... If you remove them and inspect the internal circuit board I suspect that you will see that they are fried since these units are always powered, and electricity and water do not mix... Search more my postings if you want to see how I resolved the issue (LOTS of labor and expensive parts..)

Cheers,

Mark (SF Bay Area)

SAME DARN PROBLEM FOR MY LOW MILEAGE '04 - MODULE BAY FLOODED BY ROUTINE RAIN

Not happy - I'M FACING A $5K REPAIR BILL AT THE DEALER :-( 10-29-17

Have any of you ever heard of Cadillac Customer service offering an XLR customer anything to make up for the design flaws in the trunk which were not corrected til about 2006 ? e.g. A big coupon for service and/or a big coupon for the purchase of a future vehicle? If so, for what value ? I know they have done it for other issues such as Northstar shortcomings, etc.

Thanks
Mister D

Doesn't hurt to try. Just be calm and go up the ladder of bosses.

Short of that, take it to an independent shop that is good at electric wiring work. They would be cheaper, it's going to take time you'll have to dig up used parts from who knows where. Won't be fun.

Also search on the site for the address of the hydraulic pump rebuild company, way cheaper than buying a new one.

Also, search for the "parking on a hill allows water in to the trunk" fix. Probably how the water got in.

Not happy - I'M FACING A $5K REPAIR BILL AT THE DEALER :-( 10-29-17

Have any of you ever heard of Cadillac Customer service offering an XLR customer anything to make up for the design flaws in the trunk which were not corrected til about 2006 ? e.g. A big coupon for service and/or a big coupon for the purchase of a future vehicle? If so, for what value ? I know they have done it for other issues such as Northstar shortcomings, etc.

Thanks
Mister D

Doesn't hurt to try. Just be calm and go up the ladder of bosses.

Short of that, take it to an independent shop that is good at electric wiring work. They would be cheaper, it's going to take time you'll have to dig up used parts from who knows where. Won't be fun.

Also search on the site for the address of the hydraulic pump rebuild company, way cheaper than buying a new one.

Also, search for the "parking on a hill allows water in to the trunk" fix. Probably how the water got in.

MANY THX DB! The pump refurb co looks totally awesome from my research and from talking with them ... tophydralicsinc.com . Its $550 for a "better than new" hydro pump with a 3 year warranty vs $1950 at the Dealer. They do top pumps for all the big names too: Bentley, Merc, Lexus etc., quick turnaround too.
Mark

MANY THX DB! The pump refurb co looks totally awesome from my research and from talking with them ... tophydralicsinc.com . Its $550 for a "better than new" hydro pump with a 3 year warranty vs $1950 at the Dealer. They do top pumps for all the big names too: Bentley, Merc, Lexus etc., quick turnaround too.
Mark

BTW, HELP ! anybody out there got TSB 05-08-57-005A Dated 8-18-2006 and any other TSBs related to the water leaking into the trunk caused by the faulty design/mfg of the wheel wells/chassis, etc ?

I do not see them tho I see a suspicious logo re: 3rd Party Hosting! Newbie alert: Is there some trick to finding attachments on this forum?? I've got the $5k issue of "water in module bay" ... MFG DEFECT !
thanks again,
Mark

Hello again, for "hard-to-find" modules such as the Ride Control Module 10348979 (for an '04 XLR) can anyone offer some feedback (good or bad) on WholesaleGMPartsOnline.com also known as GMPartSupport.com ? I called there today and left a Voice Mail msg but no reply. I can see from reading some posts on the forum here that much caution is advised when choosing a part supplier online.

Thx
Mister D

Hello again, for "hard-to-find" modules such as the Ride Control Module 10348979 (for an '04 XLR) can anyone offer some feedback (good or bad) on WholesaleGMPartsOnline.com also known as GMPartSupport.com ? I called there today and left a Voice Mail msg but no reply. I can see from reading some posts on the forum here that much caution is advised when choosing a part supplier online.

Thx
Mister D

My local dealer got me both modules within 2 days. All they needed was my vin and I was on a priority list. That was last week BTW.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom