Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Side Vents

Rob

Seasoned Member
Staff member
Site Administrator
My XLR/V(s)
Not yet!
Although not entirely related to the XLR (2009 in particular), can anyone explain to me why GM is having an incessant affection with non-functional side louver vents on their 2009 MY cars? XLR.....Saturn....etc.

The only side louver vents that I like on any GM automobile is the Vette. Other than that, the rest look kind of silly.

When is someone going to come in and turn the light switch on at the GM Styling Department in Detroit? :ugh:

Actually, I've been wondering the same thing ever since I've seen them out... especially on the XLR, I think they cheapen the look.

A lot of us spoke to Bowling Green Exec's at last years RIII when it was first shown and mentioned about the 'fake' side vents; and let them know how cheap they made the car look. GM doesn't listen to their customers, so some other styling 'genius' will have to make the changes in the future--I hope!!!!

Actually, I've been wondering the same thing ever since I've seen them out... especially on the XLR, I think they cheapen the look.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I didn't care for the side vents at all when we seen them at RIII.

The majority of the attendees at RIII voiced their opinion that they were not fond of the side vents on the 09 XLR. I was told that for a time it was being considered to offer them as an option. Since the fenders have to have the openings cut in and the vent installed, it would have been easy to not to install the vents.

In spite of the vents, I ended up with an 09 due to the other upgrades they made. After while you can almost ignore the vents when you see them everyday.

If I had an '09 I don't think I would mind the vents at all .... as a matter of fact - I know that I am in the minority .... but I like the vents. :blinzel:

If I had an '09 I don't think I would mind the vents at all .... as a matter of fact - I know that I am in the minority .... but I like the vents. :blinzel:

I've only seen them in pictures posted here on the forum... maybe they look better in person????:dunno::dunno:

I've only seen them in pictures posted here on the forum... maybe they look better in person????:dunno::dunno:
No .... they are what they are ..... some people just don't like them .... and some of us do (very few of us, I think) :lol:

Sorry Jim.................but, oh no you can't ignore them. I think your wishfull thinking.
The majority of the attendees at RIII voiced their opinion that they were not fond of the side vents on the 09 XLR. I was told that for a time it was being considered to offer them as an option. Since the fenders have to have the openings cut in and the vent installed, it would have been easy to not to install the vents.

In spite of the vents, I ended up with an 09 due to the other upgrades they made. After while you can almost ignore the vents when you see them everyday.

A lot of us spoke to Bowling Green Exec's at last years RIII when it was first shown and mentioned about the 'fake' side vents; and let them know how cheap they made the car look. GM doesn't listen to their customers, so some other styling 'genius' will have to make the changes in the future--I hope!!!!

GM didnt listen to their customers? Whoa...If they aren't careful they might lose all their customers and maybe even lose money...oh...wait!

WAKE UP GM!!!

I donot like them and IMHO they cheapen the look of the 2009 XLR-V. It seems that many car companies are/have followed suit, past and present.....I have them on my 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster Limited.:cool:

The vents could have been integrated into the fender nicely, like the Corvette. Using the same mesh from the V grill could have integrated well. Sticking on something that looks like it came off the Wall Mart auto bling aisle does not cut it for the XLR crowd.

TFB

For the record, it's not just GM, but an industry styling trend, like fins, or Nehru jackets (although the later was not for cars, an example of silly styling trends for fashion mongers).
I read somewhere that Bob Lutz saw the then new Buick Lacrosse with side vents (or ventiports in Buick styling department terminology). Anyhow, Bob demanded they be removed, saying they were tacky. He later saw the new Maserati Quatroporte with side vents and told styling to put them back on the Buick. I should have saved the article.
Personally, the trend can't go away fast enough, except on the few cars where they are actually designed in and fuctional.
Bruce

Personally, the trend can't go away fast enough, except on the few cars where they are actually designed in and fuctional.
Bruce

I agree Bruce, if they had done a better job and made them functional it would probably make a big differnce. There are only a few cars I think they actually look good on--mainly the Corvettes and they are functional in that respect.

To be honest, I can take them or leave them. I do think they look better in person and are growing on me. If I had a choice at the time I bought my car I probably would have opted for a more clean look and would have left the vents off.

To be honest, I can take them or leave them. I do think they look better in person and are growing on me. If I had a choice at the time I bought my car I probably would have opted for a more clean look and would have left the vents off.

I even took the "XLR" emblem off the fenders and the "GM" thingy off the quarter panels to give my X a cleaner look...

The GM thingy's didn't last one day on my car, and the supercharged got moved to the cowling on the hood, just the V is on the fender and rear. Everyone wants to know what a V is. I tell em Vroooooooooooooooom
I even took the "XLR" emblem off the fenders and the "GM" thingy off the quarter panels to give my X a cleaner look...

The GM thingy's didn't last one day on my car, and the supercharged got moved to the cowling on the hood, just the V is on the fender and rear. Everyone wants to know what a V is. I tell em Vroooooooooooooooom

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I LOVE IT!!!!! I always thought the supercharged belonged on the hood... where GM placed it was just plain stupid... more like an afterthought? :dunno:

All the other MY 2009 changes were good ... But the ventz get two thumbs down.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom