Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Taurus SHO

We saw a lot of beautiful Mustangs on Woodward... I think you should drive one of them before making your decision.

An Audi TT? probably not. Supa is still waiting to test drive one when it comes in--maybe next week. She thinks she will be able to keep up with me and Scarlett-V:lol::lol:

The new SHO is pretty tough nut. It's base numbers place its 0-60 time (4.8 sec) equal to or ahead of the BMW 550i and way beyond the Audi TT's (5.1 sec) time.

The true measure of its performance will come with the aftermarket tuners who will quickly find ways to stop the SHO from venting boost so early in its power band. It quickly builds 12 lbs. but wants to build more, so the waste gate kicks in a bit early.

Like so many of the other twin turbo power plants, it won't take them long to figure out how to eliminate the boost loss and adjust timing and fuel levels, pulling another 30-50 horses out of that motor.

Add in a colder/free-flowing air intake and a free-flowing exhaust and that little SHO will be kicking the crap out of a whole lot of much more expensive muscle.

Lucky for me - I bought in at the top of the pile and just for added measure threw in all the bolt-ons allowed by Doris's Law.............:reddevil :reddevil

Plus a few she don't know about - right Ray????? lol rear wheel dyno numbers show the snake at 611 rwhp & 585 ft. lbs.

Mark,
You are giving Marion way too much information. She doesn't need more power; she is dangerous enough as it is. I would tend to do it if it was mine--but then again I'd be getting a snake, not a bull.:laugh::laugh:

The new SHO is pretty tough nut. It's base numbers place its 0-60 time (4.8 sec) equal to or ahead of the BMW 550i and way beyond the Audi TT's (5.1 sec) time.

The true measure of its performance will come with the aftermarket tuners who will quickly find ways to stop the SHO from venting boost so early in its power band. It quickly builds 12 lbs. but wants to build more, so the waste gate kicks in a bit early.

Like so many of the other twin turbo power plants, it won't take them long to figure out how to eliminate the boost loss and adjust timing and fuel levels, pulling another 30-50 horses out of that motor.

Add in a colder/free-flowing air intake and a free-flowing exhaust and that little SHO will be kicking the crap out of a whole lot of much more expensive muscle.

Lucky for me - I bought in at the top of the pile and just for added measure threw in all the bolt-ons allowed by Doris's Law.............:reddevil :reddevil

Plus a few she don't know about - right Ray????? lol rear wheel dyno numbers show the snake at 611 rwhp & 585 ft. lbs.

Thanks for the info Mark. I am just waiting for them to get one in and I am taking her for a test drive.

Cubby I deserve a fast toy too. Why do you get to have all the fast fun toys and I can't? You get to put all the extras on now it is my turn. :D

You also bought some bragging rights. Ray does it for you. :rocker: Haha, first time I've seen his hair messed up in 40 years! :lol:

He did seem to be enjoying himself.......:laugh: Messed up his hair - I love it !! :lol: :lol:

Thanks Mark I'm starting my wish list for mine. :D

The dealer just called. They got a Taurus SHO in today for someone. I'm going to look at it tonight and take it for a drive. :naughty: I will let you know. :D

We stopped at the dealer to see the one they got in (it's for one of the dealers owner) and as we got there a monster storm came in with heavy rain, winds and tornado warnings--so we didn't take it out. He's leaving it at the dealership for a couple weeks to show to potential buyers, so we will probably go back this weekend and test drive it. We have already priced out what we want, so it's just a matter of if Supa likes it or not.

Just checking in to the post to see if you got one yet.
Bruce

We stopped at the dealer to see the one they got in (it's for one of the dealers owner) and as we got there a monster storm came in with heavy rain, winds and tornado warnings--so we didn't take it out. He's leaving it at the dealership for a couple weeks to show to potential buyers, so we will probably go back this weekend and test drive it. We have already priced out what we want, so it's just a matter of if Supa likes it or not.
I will NEVER understand how calmly you mention MONSTER storm, and TORNADOS in your postings .... geez, doesn't that stuff just scare the bejezus out of you? We get rain, measured in the tenth of an inch and everyone heads for the indoors.
Hey .... maybe it's a "sign" :willy_nilly:

I am interested in what the price of one of these Sho's loaded do you happen to know what that is?:wave:

Fred:patriot:

The SHO we priced had everything except--all weather floormats (can always get better cheaper than Ford charges). The MSRP is $44,720.00 The color choice Marion picked isn't a tri-coat color so there was no adder for that ($600.00) Our price is lower as we buy on A Plan (Her father worked for Ford--Chicago Assembly Plant 30 plus years.) Delivery was quoted at 8-12 weeks for the SHO.

Similarly, the Lincoln MKS is built at the same plant, on the same platform. Price for that with about the same equipment, including the twin turbo charged motor was $54,595.00 about $10,000 more!!!

I am interested in what the price of one of these Sho's loaded do you happen to know what that is?:wave:

Fred:patriot:

I will NEVER understand how calmly you mention MONSTER storm, and TORNADOS in your postings .... geez, doesn't that stuff just scare the bejezus out of you? We get rain, measured in the tenth of an inch and everyone heads for the indoors.
Hey .... maybe it's a "sign" :willy_nilly:

This week we had three tornados outside of Lake George (in the mountains) and earthquakes out on the plains east of Colorado Springs plus lots of hail storms, some the size of base balls. Lucky there was none of the above in my neighborhood.

Here's a test drive that Popular Mechanics Magazine did on the SHO

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4322127.html

Cubby, In the paragraph labeled "The Drive", they recommend that you get the Performance Pkge. They say the brakes are better. Otherwise, I think the reveiw is mostly positive about the SHO. In the comments section, one person says that you have to run premium gas in it, Do you what to do that for your everyday car? Reads like you guys are getting a good car! Enjoy!

Chad

I've hesitated bringing up this sour subject. . .but now we have the second first-year model being talked about, the SHO, first it was the new Camaro.

We all know of what the '04 XLR people have gone through and some are still putting up with first-model-nuttiness!!

As a side note I test drove the Lincoln MKS thinking I might get it for Maryann (they had pretty cool TV commercials) well, I was very unimpressed! I can certainly see ordering the twin turbos as that car was a lead sled! Even the salesman riding with me kinda apologized for it's lack of spunk. I think the only thing I liked was the Nav system, seemed very advanced.

Even first-model change Vettes aren't immune, I've joined a few Vette sites and it becomes very apparent the first year or two owners do quite a bit of crying.

I certainly wish you all the best of luck though.

Floyd (BB)

Here's a test drive that Popular Mechanics Magazine did on the SHO

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4322127.html

Cubby, In the paragraph labeled "The Drive", they recommend that you get the Performance Pkge. They say the brakes are better. Otherwise, I think the reveiw is mostly positive about the SHO. In the comments section, one person says that you have to run premium gas in it, Do you what to do that for your everyday car? Reads like you guys are getting a good car! Enjoy!

Chad

Chad I currently have a Lincoln LS which is my everyday car and we put premium gas in her. Kevin usually gets ceramic brakes put on our cars because they seem to last longer than anything we tend to get from dealers. There is less brake dust with them and better stopping. We did price it out with the performance pkge. Only the best for Supa. :chuckle:chuckle

I've hesitated bringing up this sour subject. . .but now we have the second first-year model being talked about, the SHO, first it was the new Camaro.

We all know of what the '04 XLR people have gone through and some are still putting up with first-model-nuttiness!!

As a side note I test drove the Lincoln MKS thinking I might get it for Maryann (they had pretty cool TV commercials) well, I was very unimpressed! I can certainly see ordering the twin turbos as that car was a lead sled! Even the salesman riding with me kinda apologized for it's lack of spunk. I think the only thing I liked was the Nav system, seemed very advanced.

Even first-model change Vettes aren't immune, I've joined a few Vette sites and it becomes very apparent the first year or two owners do quite a bit of crying.

Floyd (BB)

My brother in law works at the plant where they are building the SHO. I already talked to him about the bugs being worked out with it, he told me they have had the SHO driving for awhile and no bugs. He also goes by the thought process of waiting a couple of years to get the bugs out. When I was considering the SHO I asked him how long to wait for the bugs, he said no need this time.

I know what you are talking about, Floyd; but I seem to have had good luck in all my years with first-model cars. The '04 XLR I had (sold it and bought the '06 V this year) didn't have anything major--gas cap and a battery. I ordered first model year Lincoln Mark V LSC--not one problem; first-model year Lincoln LS no problems. I think our american car builders are finally taking pride in what they build and I think the automakers are researching and testing new things longer to make sure there will be no problems before they commit and roll out a new model.

As far as the MKS; we looked at it last year and I told the wife there was no way I would buy one unless they put a V8 in it--too sluggish. The twin turbo would be the only way to go in that car. The navigation is top notch in the Ford/Lincoln line. I have it in my Expedition and it is fantastic--voice activation is very good as well.

Floyd (BB)

Floyd (BB)

Floyd, you are correct, the first year has always been the most troublesome and some have just been plain horrible ('85 Sedan and Coupe DeVille). Let's hope that this is not the case with either of these cars.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom