Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Tennesee Trip for Spring 2013?

Crimson Pearl

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Crimson Pearl XLR
There was some discussion during the PA trip about a possible trip to TN. Some of the possibilities are Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville and Oak Ridge.

Other good possibilites are a drive on "The tail of the dragon", the Cherohala Skyway, "The Devil's Triangle", "Moonshiner 28" and the "Wheels through time" Museum.

Check out these links :

Home*-*Wheels Through Time

http://tailofthedragon.com/pdf/Brochure.pdf

Several places to start from, one could go from Knoxville, or could start in western NC from someplace like Franklin NC.

Lots of things to see and do in TN.

Oak Ridge was the "secret city" that was essential to the production of the Atom Bomb.

Chattanooga has the TN Aquarium, Ruby Falls, Rock City, Incline Railway, Lookout Mountain, Towing & Recovery Museum and others.

Nashville offers a large variety.

Memphis was mentioned by some.

Distances : Knoxville to Chattanooga - 109 miles 1:45

Chattanooga to Nashville - 130 miles 2:00

Nashville to Memphis - 220 miles 3:25

Looking for some feedback and input.

Lots of ways to do this with whatever combination of great roads to drive and places to see that you folks are interested in.

Let's hear your thoughts!

Ken, thanks for looking into this for the group. Who is going to be in charge of putting it all together? What do all of you think of this idea for a Spring Event?

What do all of you think of this idea for a Spring Event?

I have always wanted to spend more time in Nashville particularly when there is a music festival or awards show going. Almost tied this years music festival (it started June 7) in with the Gettysburg trip (it started June 9th) but family medical obligations made that plan unworkable. Ended up at Hatty's home a bit early which was a treat. Of course Nashville is also really close to the birth place of the XLR.

Steve

I'd love to head down to Tennessee to visit Nashville, Mephis, etc... Count me in.

I do not know what Spring will bring for me at work - things will get pretty busy with me after the 1st of the year.

I appreciate whoever will take on this trip planning. :wave:

Thinking of fall 2013 also!

I was just thinking that something like this would fit right into late Sept. or early Oct.also for the NCM 10 yr. annivesary gathering!
Don't think we could manage to fit both into the same year! So we would be interest for fall 2013. Just saying from our end! Maybe plan on both for who wants to do one or both? :dunno:

Dan & Wendy :wave:

A trip to/through Tennesee sounds like fun. Merilee and I are hoping to make it, if everyone's plans work out.

Merilee hasn't been to Tennesee at all and I have only been on business trips to Knoxville and Nashville. In fact, the Knoxville trip was so fast, I don't even remember staying overnight. As to Nashville, I was in the Opryland Hotel for a Conference and only saw the outside (parking lot) once other than the trip to and from the airport.

So, I guess I am saying that I would love to see much more of the state and drive some of those mountain roads.

John

What do all of you think of this idea for a Spring Event?

Just wondering how much interest there is here.

I think a trip like this could incorporate a fair amount of driving on some great scenic roads as well as a few stops to points of interest.

It's going to be hard to match the great job Hatty did for our trip this past June!

Just wondering how much interest there is here.

I think a trip like this could incorporate a fair amount of driving on some great scenic roads as well as a few stops to points of interest.

It's going to be hard to match the great job Hatty did for our trip this past June!

I definitely would be interested - depending on the dates selected. :wave:

I'm interested

The tail would be good for those who have not done it. It can be fairly crowded anymore and needs to be done early in the morning to be done "right". Last time I was there there were a lot of "squids" passing blindly and laying into oncoming traffic. Just saying .... plan on early morning. There are a lot of good places in TN.

I have heard it said that the Cherohala Skyway is a more enjoyable drive than the "Tail of the dragon".

2013 NCM Fall Gathering

Any thoughts of a 2013 NCM Fall Gathering
Just wondering since this area of the south came up for discussion if there is going to be a gathering planned for the of fall 2013 at the NCM for the 10 years anniversary of the XLR built in Bowling Green Ky. plant. This would make our decision move to the than to do a trip that far from here in PA for us? :dunno:

Dan :wave:

I have heard it said that the Cherohala Skyway is a more enjoyable drive than the "Tail of the dragon".

Done both a couple times. IMHO the skyway is more laid back / not as intense and more scenic. When on the dragon only the passenger looks at the scenery because the driver is getting a work out :) It just depends on what you are looking for. I would suggest doing both if you were that close. There is also US421 in Shady Valley to consider.

Any thoughts of a 2013 NCM Fall Gathering
Just wondering since this area of the south came up for discussion if there is going to be a gathering planned for the of fall 2013 at the NCM for the 10 years anniversary of the XLR built in Bowling Green Ky. plant. This would make our decision move to the than to do a trip that far from here in PA for us? :dunno:

Dan :wave:

I expect there will be discussion about this at Bobfest 2012. So you may want to wait a couple of weeks for a more definite answer. I really do expect that there will be a 10th anniversary gathering at NCM.

NCM Spring Event

Just wear dark glasses and perhaps no one will recognize you! :lol:
Don't know if anyone else caught this Dragon Tail Run Event from NCM, but got an email today about their spring planned event! , Don't know if they will let XLR's run in the event or not? :dunno: Here's the link:
Autumn Dragon Riun Dan :wave:

We would be interested, please keep us updated.
:cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

We've done the Biltmore trip a couple of times now with some XLR friends and never spent what the NCM is asking for this trip!! We had the photo ops in front of the house and private tour as well. For the price they want you should be able to stay a night in the mansion!!

Don't know if anyone else caught this Dragon Tail Run Event from NCM, but got an email today about their spring planned event! , Don't know if they will let XLR's run in the event or not? :dunno: Here's the link:
Autumn Dragon Riun Dan :wave:

We've done the Biltmore trip a couple of times now with some XLR friends and never spent what the NCM is asking for this trip!! We had the photo ops in front of the house and private tour as well. For the price they want you should be able to stay a night in the mansion!!

Yep! Seen that too Cubby! Those prices seem a bit ridiculous, can only think they make some sort a profit from that trip :dunno:

Just curious, where does the trip stand? :wave::dunno::wave:

Need some input here.

Questions :

1. Issue with coordination/conflict with potential NCM trip.

2. Focus of trip, great drives or destination focused.

3. If destination focused, which city (or cities)?

I'll be glad to help plan this, but like many others here, I have a business to run and Tenn. is many hours away from me, and Memphis, in western TN, is hours away from Knoxville in eastern TN.

Will require some assistance from others once we decide where the focus will be.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom