Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Tint or no tint?

Just... To... Be... Sure (and I've never had occasion to do this before):

It IS permissable to open the top only a portion of the way and then stop... right? Just take your finger off of the button at the point where you feel you need it? Can it be incrementally adjusted from that point without issue? Is there any fob control for the top mechanism at all (except for opening and closing the trunk, of course)?

I expect my tint guy to need the top partially retracted and the Wind Restrictor removed to get at the back glass (reason I'm asking). TIA!

BoughtTheXLR said:
Yes you can stop the open/close at any point by removing finger from the switch. I do this every so often to clean the inside of the rear <NOBR>window</NOBR>. I turn the car off once the top is positioned to my liking.

No fob control of the top is documented. I'd hold the trunk button down to see if then the top would retract, but I know how disappointed I'd be. !

Yes, you can stop the top where you want it. But... when you put the top back up or down, continue the cycle from where you stopped the top. In other words, if you were putting the top down when you stopped, continue putting it down before putting the top up; if you putting the top up when you stopped, continue putting it up before putting the top back down.

No, no fob control of the top... only with the button.

EXcellent! Thanks for the assurances! Good tip on continuing the cycle sequence upon restart!

Yes, you can stop the top where you want it. But... when you put the top back up or down, continue the cycle from where you stopped the top. In other words, if you were putting the top down when you stopped, continue putting it down before putting the top up; if you putting the top up when you stopped, continue putting it up before putting the top back down.
What is the reasoning behind this? I have put mine part way down to lube up the seals and then closed the top back. I did not go all the way down first.

Would think it's just good practice so your not binding anything. Remember there is a lot of switches and sensors all of the Linkage has to go into opposite directions to reverse operation could bind or confuse something.

I'm real nervous about having my top sit anywhere between fully open or fully closed for any period of time although I have done it a few times to treat the rubber gaskets. After about 10 minutes or so the hydraulic pump valves release the pressure in the system and the top will settle into whatever position it would be left in with just the gas pressurized struts holding it in place.

What is the reasoning behind this? I have put mine part way down to lube up the seals and then closed the top back. I did not go all the way down first.

It's actually to make sure the sensors know the finish point of the cycle. If this isn't done, I understand the sensors may "jamb" for lack of a better word...

Okay, let me be sure again... do I (or the tint pro) have only a limited time to perform the install on the rear window until the top begins to "move" on it's own? I don't think it'll take very long for a pro, but 10 minutes may be pushing it. Just want to be sure I understand... thanks!

I've left my car's top sit for hours at the half way point during car shows in my area with no problems. I start putting the top down and stopped at the half way point then put it back up from that position without putting it all the way down then back up.
I haven't had any problems with the top in the 5 years I've owned my XLR.

Okay, let me be sure again... do I (or the tint pro) have only a limited time to perform the install on the rear window until the top begins to "move" on it's own? I don't think it'll take very long for a pro, but 10 minutes may be pushing it. Just want to be sure I understand... thanks!

Yes, you can stop the top at any point up or down... I'm not sure why the top moved as in Onalaska's post. I don't leave it that way for any longer than absolutely necessary and ALWAYS finish the cycle... just to be on the safe side.

My .02

I luv the look of the tint and have never had a problem with the law for exceeding the max tint amount. They have a lot of other things to worry about. It would be different if it was a "kids car". Please roll down the window before being asked to in the event you ever get pulled over. Windows down and hands on the wheel is a courtesy that may pay dividends.

An illuminated Windrestrictor with tinted windows can be problematic when backing in a dark area with your foot on the brake. I think it depends a lot on how big and the type pattern on the restrictor.

The illuminated pattern does show thru the tint after dark.

The roof has 4 analog sensors and no switches. They should be bonded, read glued, into position to help give repeatable feedback of the components position. In theory, it should not make any difference if you continue in the same direction or not after stopping half way. However, everything mechanical wears and wear causes looseness. Changing direction, especially if near the end of one of the steps of the sequence, could lead to a problem. Then there is the issue of a software glitch. I consider it cheap insurance to continue on in the same direction. Its your car take the risk if you want. I predict that if something goes wrong you will end up with a ding in roof from one of the tonneau mounting screws.
YMMV

....Please roll down the window before being asked to in the event you ever get pulled over. Windows down and hands on the wheel is a courtesy that may pay dividends.....

Oh God, I'll probably get in trouble for hijacking this thread .... but since it has gone from tinting to tops ...

I think it's such a coincidence that you have mentioned the 'windows down, and both hands on the wheel' 'courtesy' ..... Leaving San Diego on every major Interstate we have Border Check Points ... where we are required to stop and Border Patrol (usually with a drug dog) stops and checks each car looking for drug traffic and/or illegals .... If you can imagine trying to get to LA from San Diego, you have to know that the traffic on the I-5 can back up for a mile or so within a few seconds. We 'assume the pose' automatically .... if Border Patrol can see into your car and your hands at the same time that line moves much, much faster.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom